Prince Edward Island & Return | GTAMotorcycle.com

Prince Edward Island & Return

Rotten_Ronnie

Site Supporter
I'm headed out to PEI tomorrow with my dog Suzi for a 12 day camping and riding vacation.

It'll be her third trip out to the island, but her first multi-day on the Versys.

yre6e8ab.jpg

MacDoc asked for some pictures of the load, so I'll try to oblige later on tonight once I get the kitchen sink strapped on.

The breakdown:
Top case contains my rain gear, spare gloves, heated vest, Suzi's rain jacket, clear visor, rotor lock, trail side jack, chain wax and 4 litres of water

Left pannier holds my stove and wee pot set, fuel, food

Right Pannier holds her food, toys, treats etc, first aid kit, solar panel and battery pack, and some other odd bits.

45 litre yellow canoe bag holds 2man tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and ground sheet.

20 litre red canoe bag holds clothes and under garments for about four days, and a pair of crocs as well as shave kit.

I've tried to arrange things so that I won't need to cover the panniers in the event of rain. Man do I miss my sw-motech racks and givi e41s!

My bike is set up for touring, with an older model Garmin 60cx gps, taller windscreen, barkbusters with a kaoko throttle lock, Oxford Heaterz touring grips, and a battery tender cable that I use with an extension to power my tank bag or top box, or plug my heated vest into.

The Route:

401 to Hill Island, a boring three hours, then into the States through the Adirondaks, across the bridge onto Vermont 17 across Camel Hump State Park, then I wind my way over to 302 and onto the Kancamangus highway to North Conway and then into Maine and a wee bit of interstate to bypass Bangor over to US 1 if I want to be slowed down by all the coastal sightseeing cagers, cross at St. Stephens and blast up through New Brunswick and out to the Island, mostly slab.

On the way back I stole a wee bit from Shane's route and head much further north into Maine and over NH and into Vermont then Rouse's point and cross back at Cornwall or Ganonoque depending on how I'm feeling.

I've only done this about six times, so finding cool roads that I've never been on tend to slow me down. I've usually done two days in the past with hotel, but am packing camping gear and want to take an extra day for sightseeing, perhaps ride up Mt. Washington.

More later.

Did something similar in late June. Had a blast. Try Smuggler's Notch in VT if you haven't already done so. My first time doing it and was a very cool, albeit short, road.

I did that road in June, and it was a hoot. A bit scary with oncoming traffic and lots of blind corners when near the crest. Wicked fun though.

I bring my passport and hers with me (Medical records), but have never been asked for them. I end up spending more time at the guards as they seem to enjoy the novelty, and Suzi is terribly friendly.

I'd like to get a helmet for her, even a leather one would be better than nothing.

Thanks for that. We will go with the red lid with the black stripe.

We made it!
pugenu3e.jpg

We left Whitby just after sunrise, spent three boring hours on the 401 playing dodge em, then hit the hill island border crossing to find the line up backed almost a kilometre from the 401! That changed our crossing plans...

We headed over to the Mallory town bridge and waited about 45 minutes before entering the United States and heading south on 56 to hook up with Route 3 into Saranac Lake where it started raining on us, so we pulled off and donned rain gear for the first time on our trip. Do you ever ride a road, see dark clouds and rain streamers in the distance and pray that the road turns towards the Blue skies? That was us. To be honest, it was part sun shower, so all it did was slow us down as I had to exercise more caution on the rain slick roads, but I have to give two thumbs up to continental tires, for they held traction perfectly the entire ride, which included another cloud burst over top of Camels hump state Park where Vermont 17 winds its way up and over. That road is getting pretty busted up, and it wasn't as much fun in the rain with the hair pin corners!

Down the other side we stopped for gas and eats at the Local Smoke house and let me recommend their pulled pork sandwich. Suzi and I hoovered it down. I smelled their smoker from the gas stop across the road, and had to order something.

Route 302 is awesome, and I'd highly recommend it, as well as the Kancamangus highway. I didn't get as far as I was hoping the first day, so we pulled off the 302 near Groton Vermont and stayed at Big Deer State Park for $20, and an extra $1 for a dog, we got a great little site with access to toilets and showers.
Let me tell you, the camping gear with food weighed a ton!

apu8ubyr.jpg

The Versys tends to be a bit top heavy to start with, very similar to my KLR in that regard, and it was tough to transition the bike from corner to corner without some body English tossed into the mix, but I digress, back to the camping...

Too much gear! Normally I hotel it on this trip as I can lay down more miles in a day, but I'm short of funds this year, so decided to pack for camping instead, and it was a heavy load on the bike.

That being said, I really enjoyed stopping at the roadside and cooking up my lunch on my stove then moving on. I'd packed some boil in the bag meals leftover from my Trans Labrador trip in 2011, so they bulk very light and are ready in minutes.

I was fortunate that the weather was good and I was able to pack my dry gear away, saddle up and head back out onto 302 to resume my trek, and kit the Kancamangus highway thru the Kancamangus Pass. It was the highlight of the trip, in perfect weather, and each stop we made we met and chatted up bikers from all over, Buffalo NY, Montreal Quebec, North Carolina, Maine, New Brunswick, and on Prince Edward Island.

The rest of this gets as boring as the interstate, as I needed to make tracks, so headed North on Route 11 Maine and jumped onto I95 until Route 9, which is a decent road, but I was so numb by the time I got there that all I did was wish it away until we crossed the border at Calais (pronounced Calliss) and stopped at the Tim Horton's for a bum break before slabbing on down the Highway 1 into St. John NB for a quick fuel stop, and back out onto the highway. It's four and a half hours from the border to Confederation Bridge, and I really wanted to avoid night riding in the area due to moose and deer.

Anyhow, we made it here for 11:30 pm from Groton Vermont, and I'm pretty happy with that.

I just found out my friends from ridetoreach. com only made it as far as St. John at 12 midnight Atlantic time from where I left them at the border. One of them posted that they were riding out East this weekend, described who he was riding with, and when I saw a sidecar with a dog in it, had to stop and ask if they were riding with J, so made friends with John, Eric and Panda, the border collie:labrador.

It's been a blast and a butt burner! I've so much coffee on board that I can't sleep at the moment.

My nephews helped me UN pack the bike, and found Ryan has parked his Honda CRF230L and been riding his mom's BMW 650CS around. His friend Nathan traded up from a CRF230R to a KLR 530, and Tyler has been bashing his Yamaha XT250 around, as well as my brother-in-law is buying a 2012 KLR to add to his collection.
2etytesa.jpg

Nathan's well loved new to him KTM 530

Right, off to bed.

If you are interested in PEI or coming out to the East Coast, have a look at some of the posts in my blog and you can have a look at the routes I've used in the past, and some must see spots on the Island.

I'll have a ton more pictures once I get the SD card sorted.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have a Corbin seat on the Versys.

I should elaborate here. With Suzi on the tank I can't move around as much as I normally do, so standing on the pegs, sitting on the passenger seat and hanging my butt off the side are out, and we put a twelve hour day in on Saturday, and about sixteen hours on Sunday, but with more frequent and longer stops. The slab was the worst of it.

Most of the time we are only out for day trips at about four to five hours and we get on quite well.

I invited Jesus to spend a night on Prince Edward Island at my sister's place, and when I found out he was riding with three other guys, Eric, Azeem and John, along with two dogs, Panda and Misha, invited then as well.

Jesus aka Jessie said they would arrive at 1800, but what he failed to mention was that he was still behind an hour on Eastern DST as opposed to Atlantic time, so they rolled up the driveway right on time (if we'd all been back in Ontario) and about an hour late, and it was all I could do to keep my sister Wendy on her leash and prevent her from starting dinner too early. 

6y8ebyvy.jpg

Jessie arrived with Misha asleep in her tank bag, but once she woke up she was very happy to mark the property as hers.

6y2uzamy.jpg

My Island family are all bikers, and we invited Mike and Nichole over to join in the fun before the guys ate us out of house and home.

After supper my nephew Ryan and his friend Nathan put on a show for us...

3yzuge2e.jpg

Nathan's KTM 530 exc wheelie machine, while Ryan was on a BMW F450x

Tuesday morning saw the guys pack up after I made them breakfast, which consisted of oatmeal porridge, eggs, Turkey bacon and toast, after which I found that Jessie had been making them porridge every morning since they left Ontario, so that explains why there was plenty left over. ?

buvy3aru.jpg

I led them into Charlottetown where they had a meeting with the PEI Children's Wish Foundation in order to make a Ride2Reach.com donation, and after hearing the foundations mission and seeing all the photographs of the kids and their wishes on the walls of the office, it was hard not to get emotional. I ended up making a small donation of my own and really appreciate the goals of Ride2Reach.com and thought I wouldn't mind being a part of it in some fashion next year.

qa6ape4u.jpg

y7esume9.jpg
evyruvu7.jpg

eqa8atu8.jpg

anugu3yn.jpg

Afterwards we hit Tim Horton's on the way to the Wood Island Ferry to learn that they'd missed their 1300 ferry and would have some time on their hands. I tossed out the idea of heading in the general direction of the ferry and stopping at Cape Bear Reef for a few pictures before heading to the terminal about 20 minutes away.

aja2usy8.jpg
uvehu6yz.jpg
ytu5esaj.jpg
ta9y8u6u.jpg

After I saw them off to the ferry it was pretty much a slab ride back through tourist traffic through Charlottetown and a late lunch at Boom Burger. Fresh Island beef, PEI french fries and Cows creamery cheese make for a fantastic burger! Sorry, no pictures as I hoovered it!

This morning I'm off to Sackville NB to visit some friends.

Have a good one!

Last edited:
I pulled into Sackville at lunchtime and met up with Rob who asked me how the Versys was handling, and I went to show him the sub frame fastener that the bike had tossed out somewhere on the Blue Ridge Parkway only to find that the longer bolt and nut I'd installed had sheared right off! Even worse, the lower rear engine mount had tossed it's long 7" bolt and nut as well!

anahabuz.jpg

Rob made free with his spare fasteners and tools, and I was able to replace the sub frame bolt, but I had to hit Home Hardware in Sackville to find an 8' carriage bolt, washers and nut in order to make a temporary fix until I can order the parts in. It's held together with galvanized fence hardware. Lol.

Rob sent me back out to the highway via his favourite short cut over High Marsh Road that boasts a genuine New Brunswick covered bridge.

pu7uvy6u.jpg

After hitting Port Elgin I took the first right onto 966 and followed the shoreline...

dejypy8e.jpg
ne5equbu.jpg

I got back onto the island before the rain hit to find my nephew Tyler and his friend Shamus had been out having fun on two as well...
vere2e9e.jpg
3yvahabe.jpg

Putting the bikes away before the rain.

That's all for now.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I was yesterday until they caught the 2:45 ferry for Pictou Nova Scotia. They should be on the Cabot Trail now.

On Friday my brother-in-law Kirk, my nephew Ryan and I set out for Moncton in rather gloomy weather to spend the night there before taking part in the CMG online Dusk 2 Dawn Rally 2014.
gavupuvy.jpg
ejy4ajag.jpg
9a4eheje.jpg
me2aty6a.jpg

While crossing Confederation Bridge over to the mainland we saw storm clouds and rain streamers off to the north, quite close, but managed to just skirt the edge of it until we hit Murray Corner where we joined some other motorcycles and did a rain dance under the bridge struggling into our gear. For another hour we rode in rain, and it didn't let up until after our supper with other members of the rally, and the forecast for Saturday didn't look good either.

Back
Top Bottom