Skyway | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Skyway

Woo called it. Dude was high or drunk outta his mind...

"A 34-year-old Brampton man has been charged with impaired driving in connection with a dump truck crash that shut down the Toronto-bound lanes of the Burlington Skyway bridge." from the Toronto Star.

A number of years ago a DUI trucker used his tanker truck to block the 401 in Milton. The ensuing crash caused a fireball that structurally damaged the James Snow bridge.

Just how high were these guys?

Brampton

This was in Istanbul last year

[video]http://www.izlesene.com/video/kamyon-kopruyu-boyle-cokertti/1652321[/video]

I called it.

Another successful graduate of the Pay Less Truck Driving School.

pl_zpse8556e88.jpg

It's a mess out their. Everyone is diverting up the red hill to the linc to catch the 403. I'm heading to brantford today, lucky i got to miss it all!

Truck company couldn't even come close to having enough insurance to cover this claim. Impaired driver wont help much.

Insurance or not, you know the public will be paying the final bill...

Ultimately we're all in this together, even the Brampton splinter group.

Several people called it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/07/31/torontobound_lanes_of_qew_closed_due_to_accident.html

skyway_bridge.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Toronto Star Article said:
A 34-year-old Brampton man has been charged with impaired driving in connection with a dump truck crash that shut down the Toronto-bound lanes of the Burlington Skyway bridge Thursday — and a former Transportation Ministry official says motorists should expect the bridge to remain closed for “several days” because of the crash.

A long weekend and whatever extra traffic is brought by Caribana tourists are looming, but Will MacKenzie, who retired from the ministry in 2011 after nearly 20 years, says structural engineers will require time to declare the Toronto-bound bridge lanes ready for traffic again.

“On a steel bridge like this one, they’ve got to get up there, climb up, take a look around, all very carefully,” he said Thursday night. “There’s a lot of work that has to be done and they’ve got to go and do all their calculations and run it through computers.”

Astrid Poei, communications co-ordinator for the provincial Ministry of Transportation, confirmed late Thursday that the lanes will be closed “until the weekend.” She couldn’t say which day the bridge is expected to reopen, but the investigation will be complete by Friday afternoon and she’ll have a better idea then.

The red dump truck, with its box open, struck the overhead truss of the bridge on the QEW around 3:40 p.m. Thursday, causing what OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt described as “significant damage” to the bridge structure and taking down wood scaffolding that is part of a three-year rehabilitation project.

Another truck — a bread truck — and two cars were also damaged in the rush-hour crash, which a Burlington Fire Department spokesperson said happened “right in the centre of the bridge.”

The dump truck driver, Sukhvinder Singh Rai, was not hurt. Schmidt said the other truck driver received minor injuries.

Rai was charged with operating a motor vehicle while impaired and driving with a blood alcohol content exceeding 80 milligrams. He is expected to appear in court in late August.

The bridge carries up to 80,000 vehicles a day and about $480 million of goods, by official estimates.

Schmidt couldn’t say how long the westbound lanes of the bridge would be closed. Structural engineers were gathering at the accident scene Thursday night.

“We don’t have any idea how long this will last,” Schmidt told the Spectator, adding, “It doesn’t look minor.”

Keith James had a bad feeling about the dump truck that was travelling beside him in the Toronto-bound lanes of the Skyway.

“The truck passed me and I noticed that his box was up,” the Burlington resident told The Spectator.

“I thought ‘That doesn’t look right.’ As I saw him approach the bridge, I started backing off because I thought he was not going to make the bridge and then, sure enough, he hit.”

James said about three or four girders were “ripped off” and came down on the other truck. He walked up to the crash scene, but did not get too close because he saw “stuff” dangling overhead and didn’t know what was going to fall.

“I couldn’t believe what was happening in front of my eyes,” said James, who was heading home from his job at National Steel Car in Hamilton.

Anne Marie Aikins, media relations manager with Metrolinx, said GO Transit buses that use that highway were being rerouted and up to 20 minutes travel time was added to those trips.

“All the train and bus connection will be made at Aldershot rather than Burlington,” she added, and passengers should check GO Transit’s website for any changes.

If there is an extended closure, it could have an impact on upcoming Civic Holiday weekend festivities, including the huge annual Caribbean Carnival festival in Toronto.

With files from Kim Brown and Jonathan Forani

its amazing the dump box doesn't just rip off the trailer frame :eek:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom