Deerhaven Photography - last Rider's Choice day at SMP | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deerhaven Photography - last Rider's Choice day at SMP

I think you guys are too hard on her. You must frequent lots of rc days. I've heard enough from others to avoid them regardless. I don't need more drama in my life by dealing with people known to be "eccentric".

I think you guys are too hard on her. You must frequent lots of rc days. I've heard enough from others to avoid them regardless. I don't need more drama in my life by dealing with people known to be "eccentric".

Was I just told my opinion is inadequate based on an opinion formed from 3rd party opinions?

O....

There exists two types of people:

1) Those who have met/dealt with John McBride.
2) Those who have not.

Welcome to group 1. Enjoy your stay.. we have cookies.

LOL! so true...

One of the rudest people i have ever met.

Deerhaven Photography has been nothing but professional and exceptionally reasonable with any dealings I have had with her.
Too bad things went bad from the get-go with RC days.

riderschoice_zps02715f2f.jpg

So, now that people have had their little rag, it's time to balance out this post with what actually happened. I attend most RC TDs but didn't make that one. I'm a control rider at RC events and have assisted on many occasions with registration and other jobs. So if anything happens, I'm pretty sure to hear all about it directly from several sources. What I have been told does not match up with Ballybay's recollection.

I walked up to the Rider’s Choice registration table and asked, “Can I have a media pass please?”

No you didn't. You received a Media Pass from SMP staff. RC does not hand out media passes. You were, however, registered and given a wrist band without any problem. You were fully allowed to to shoot where you pleased.

John McBride (whom I had never met) asked me where I would be shooting from. I said, “Allen’s Corner.” He said he didn’t know about that. Surprised, I said that I had been shooting at SMP often, and would not be in the impact zone, and if he was concerned to check with Jean who would vouch for me. “Jean who?” “Jean Gautier, the owner,”

So you've never met him but he's supposed to know about you? This is a valid question, he wants to know that none of the riders at his event will be distracted by anyone in the infield. AND that you won't do anything stupid that would place you or anyone else at risk. You have not gained the trust that anyone at RC knows what you are going to do, as you apparently have spent the time and effort to do with other groups.

She asked me to stay and talked to McBride and his concern (which I don’t buy) was apparently that the riders might be distracted by me. I’ve shot Nationals, SOAR/RACE, lapping days and have never heard such a lack of confidence in track users.

You may have shot those events but the main difference is that Riders Choice had a lot of beginners that day. He had a valid concern to know where you were going to place yourself, and obviously didn't want to risk having a beginner target fixate on you and take out the both of you. But at this point you had your back up, and when asked *repeatedly* where you were going to shoot, you only replied "I know what I'm doing." You eventually said "Allen's Corner" - which puts you right in an impact zone, for your information.

You even wrote yourself that he didn't bother with you after you were told (loudly) that your approach was completely unprofessional. Your decision to leave was entirely your own even though RC took a risk that you wouldn't create a problem for their riders or staff.

And somehow, John's concern for his customers' safety and still accommodating to some unknown photographer gets twisted into a pile-on of bandwagon RC haters who probably never shopped there anyway. Well done, GTAM. Enjoy your cookies.

I've known and worked with John for many years. Dealing with him is like dealing with anyone else. You show respect, you get respect. Managing track days is no easy task. There is a lot of work that goes into them and the organizers are responsible for the safety of the riders.

So, now that people have had their little rag, it's time to balance out this post with what actually happened. I attend most RC TDs but didn't make that one. I'm a control rider at RC events and have assisted on many occasions with registration and other jobs. So if anything happens, I'm pretty sure to hear all about it directly from several sources. What I have been told does not match up with Ballybay's recollection.

No you didn't. You received a Media Pass from SMP staff. RC does not hand out media passes. You were, however, registered and given a wrist band without any problem. You were fully allowed to to shoot where you pleased.

So you've never met him but he's supposed to know about you? This is a valid question, he wants to know that none of the riders at his event will be distracted by anyone in the infield. AND that you won't do anything stupid that would place you or anyone else at risk. You have not gained the trust that anyone at RC knows what you are going to do, as you apparently have spent the time and effort to do with other groups.

You may have shot those events but the main difference is that Riders Choice had a lot of beginners that day. He had a valid concern to know where you were going to place yourself, and obviously didn't want to risk having a beginner target fixate on you and take out the both of you. But at this point you had your back up, and when asked *repeatedly* where you were going to shoot, you only replied "I know what I'm doing." You eventually said "Allen's Corner" - which puts you right in an impact zone, for your information.

You even wrote yourself that he didn't bother with you after you were told (loudly) that your approach was completely unprofessional. Your decision to leave was entirely your own even though RC took a risk that you wouldn't create a problem for their riders or staff.

And somehow, John's concern for his customers' safety and still accommodating to some unknown photographer gets twisted into a pile-on of bandwagon RC haters who probably never shopped there anyway. Well done, GTAM. Enjoy your cookies.

I knew there was the otherside of the story. Now for the elusive middle story.

Back
Top Bottom