Daytona M-Star GTX Boots - Review | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daytona M-Star GTX Boots - Review

dlv

After riding a few thousand kilometres in these, I thought I'd post up a short review.

I'm 5'4" and have a 29" inseam. Although I certainly know that flat-footing isn't a necessity and have been fine with one-footin' it at a stop or being up on my toes, I was intrigued by these boots because of the 2.5cm integrated insole lift.

I bought from Helimot, a vendor in California. At that time, they were one of a few places that carried them in North America (that I could find). FYI - recently Revzilla started carrying Daytona. As a side note, delivery was very fast and Helimot was great to deal with. They answered all my questions about the boot in a timely fashion and I would certainly buy from them again.

Back to the boots.

These look and feel like a premium boot. The leather is soft and looks great. Just like any other leather, you will have to take care of it over the years.

On the inside of the boot, there are several panels with velcro that allow you to adjust the fit to suit your calf size. They are easy to get into due to two zippers that are on each side of the boot. They have a Gore-tex membrane. I haven't tested these in a rainstorm, but in light to moderate rain, these kept me dry.

As for protection, they have reinforcements on both sides of the ankle, shinbone, and heel. I haven't been down in them and so I can't comment on how they'd hold up, but I am confident that they will do well in a crash situation. I do know that I feel safe in these.

The sole is awesome. No slipping. Ever. I've used them on many types of surfaces: wet, dry, oily, cement, asphalt, gravel, dirt . . . always felt planted and secure. The sole is stiff, but not too stiff to prevent me from walking around for a decent distance. I wouldn't take a 2 hour hike in them, but I also have never felt as though I wish I brought another pair of shoes due to comfort issues. Because of the stiff shin, it does feel a bit like I'm walking around in a ski boot . . . a bit . . . not completely like it.

Fit: I normally wear a size 8.5 or 9 in a D width, depending on the type and brand of shoe. Width wise, this boot fits perfect. The length is a little longer than I was expecting a size 40 to be though, so these run a bit larger. Keep that in mind if you're considering this boot.

These boots are comfortable to wear. I have not experienced any uncomfortable pinches, rubs, or areas of friction on my leg or foot due to the materials used. I would recommend wearing longer socks though. Although not uncomfortable with shorter socks, every once in awhile, a leg hair or two would get caught and pull a bit.

As for the big reason for why I bought these boots . . . the 2.5cm lift. I can now flat foot my bike. This has given me increased confidence while backing up and maneuvering around in parking lots. In particular, I love these boots when riding two-up because I feel I have more control when stopped or in slow speed maneuvers.

If I knew what I know now after riding in them over a few thousand kms, would I tell pre-purchase me to buy them? Well, if I never rode two-up, I probably wouldn't get these boots because, honestly, when riding alone, I'm fine with regular boots/riding shoes. But because I ride two-up often, these are definitely worth it for me. That having been said, they are the best touring boot I've tried on. Daytona makes the Road Star GTX boot without the lift and they are about $50 cheaper. If you are looking for a touring boot, these are, quite possibly, the ultimate touring boot you can find and if you have some coin to spend . . . I would definitely recommend them.

In any case, my 2 cents.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg