bluetooth with a buddy when riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

bluetooth with a buddy when riding

wantsabike

so me and a buddy are looking and trying to figure out a way that we can talk while riding with one another rather yelling at each other on the hwy or at stop lights.... anyone have any cheap easy ideas or what are you guys using when riding with buddies and etc >?

My friends mostly use Scala, so I pair up with them. One pair just switched over to Sena, the ingrates!

Universal Intercom is BS. If you read carefully Sena connects to other BT devices via Headset profile, which usually works in 10 Ft radius. Only useful for rider-to-passenger communication.

Last edited:
so me and a buddy are looking and trying to figure out a way that we can talk while riding with one another rather yelling at each other on the hwy or at stop lights.... anyone have any cheap easy ideas or what are you guys using when riding with buddies and etc >?

Scala G9 Great unit.

sena SMH-5...great for talking with your buddy and when not talking, listen to music from your phone...hubby and I can share music with each other as well...love it!!!

sena SMH-5...great for talking with your buddy and when not talking, listen to music from your phone...hubby and I can share music with each other as well...love it!!!

I was going to say the SMH5 as well. The best part is the price - it's around $125. If you need an FM radio built in, you can get the SMH5-FM but it's around $170-ish. It'll be cheaper still if you buy a dual pack and split it.

I have the SMH5-FM and I love it. I only pair with one other headset though. The drawback with the SHM5 line is that they don't do group intercom. You can pair the headset with up to 3 other headsets but you can only talk to one at a time. If you are going to want a third buddy in the loop, and be able to have all of you talking at the same time in full duplex, you'll need the SMH10 or 20S.

As far as quality and sound quality goes, the Senas are fantastic. They are arguably the best headset on the market right now.

I was going to say the SMH5 as well. The best part is the price - it's around $125. If you need an FM radio built in, you can get the SMH5-FM but it's around $170-ish. It'll be cheaper still if you buy a dual pack and split it.

I have the SMH5-FM and I love it. I only pair with one other headset though. The drawback with the SHM5 line is that they don't do group intercom. You can pair the headset with up to 3 other headsets but you can only talk to one at a time. If you are going to want a third buddy in the loop, and be able to have all of you talking at the same time in full duplex, you'll need the SMH10 or 20S.

As far as quality and sound quality goes, the Senas are fantastic. They are arguably the best headset on the market right now.

They are also pretty reasonably priced. You can get a dual set on sale for about 300 or less if you wait

Universal Intercom is BS. If you read carefully Sena connects to other BT devices via Headset profile, which usually works in 10 Ft radius. Only useful for rider-to-passenger communication.

Where did you see the 10ft limitation? All the manual says it range might be less than regular Sena-to-Sena intercom, depending on the device connecting. To me, it seems more like the weak link is whatever you are paired to, so maybe 10ft if you are connecting to a BT earpiece like people use in their cars, since it has a smaller/lower gain antenna.

As for Sena vs Cardo (Scala), all I'll say is Sena has been extremely good providing firmware with new features into their existing product lineup, where Cardo and others seem to release new models instead. That's a big point towards Sena in my books.

I picked up the Sena SMH-5 dual pack for full face helmets for $225 at Performance Cycle in Cambridge..

We use Uclear HBC200 & are pretty impressed by them. Especially awesome how they work without a boom microphone stuck in front of your head, which is nice because we use modular helmets

Grab the Scala G9. Comes with two in the package and really makes talking to your buddy super easy. Nice thing is you can get your phone and local radio stations as well. Nice unit and worth the money.

Helps to keep the wind noise down as well while talking and to pair them is stupidly easy!

Where did you see the 10ft limitation? All the manual says it range might be less than regular Sena-to-Sena intercom, depending on the device connecting. To me, it seems more like the weak link is whatever you are paired to, so maybe 10ft if you are connecting to a BT earpiece like people use in their cars, since it has a smaller/lower gain antenna.

As for Sena vs Cardo (Scala), all I'll say is Sena has been extremely good providing firmware with new features into their existing product lineup, where Cardo and others seem to release new models instead. That's a big point towards Sena in my books.

HSP is a low power profile and used for cellphone connection. I just checked Scala Rider Q3 manual and it says the range is 10m/33ft. Still to short for any real life rider-to-rider comm.

Hmmm, lots of good info ! Looks like I should do some research on all these units and etc. One thing I wondered is how well they would work as I ride with a motocross style helmet on always (supermoto bike)

Hmmm, lots of good info ! Looks like I should do some research on all these units and etc. One thing I wondered is how well they would work as I ride with a motocross style helmet on always (supermoto bike)
No worries at all, provided you can get the speakers close enough to your ears.

I did have to trim out some plastic on my AFX-39 DS to mount the Scala G4 clamp, but it worked out well.

HSP is a low power profile and used for cellphone connection. I just checked Scala Rider Q3 manual and it says the range is 10m/33ft. Still to short for any real life rider-to-rider comm.

That's probably more to do with the size and power of the BT antenna in most phones vs the headset. All the current Sena manual says is range might be less than regular intercom. That said, I'm interested to test this at some point if I'm riding with someone with a non-Sena unit.

Back
Top Bottom