big guy beginner | GTAMotorcycle.com

big guy beginner

dwoodward1125

Hey all. I'm new to this and have never ridden a bike before. I'm about 5'9" and 400-450 lbs. I'm at a loss when it comes to figuring out what bike to ride... or if I'm too big...? If I'm not... I'd really like a cruiser but have no idea where to start. Please help!

Are you going to take a motorcycle safety course? Once you ride a few of their bikes and ask some questions of your instructors you will much further along.

You could also hit some dealerships and see what they have to swing a leg over.

I'd buy used for the first season or two.

Are you going to take a motorcycle safety course? Once you ride a few of their bikes and ask some questions of your instructors you will much further along.

You could also hit some dealerships and see what they have to swing a leg over.

I'd buy used for the first season or two.

I do plan on taking a course. There is a local course that's certified. Most of the bikes they have are 250's is that something that will hold my kind of weight? Used would financially benefit me.

I believe the highest recommended weight on a 250 such as Honda or kawi is 350-375lbs. Maybe if your taking the course co tact them and see what they say... Dont know what the 250 cruisers hold.

They'll hold your weight but won't perform as well. The springs will be compressed, so any bumps you hit will hit harder possibly hitting bottom on the shock. That transfers up the steering stem into the bars pretty quickly.

Worst case scenario you may damage a fork seal.

As for used cruisers with good suspension? Sorry, I can't help you with that question.

You could try a cruiser(they are bikes you see heavy men on). You rarely see heavy guys on sportsbikes. Probably because they don't hold a lot and the body position would not be great.

I'm 198lbs and I have a sportbike and a cruiser(CTX700). I would definately go cruiser for your weight and better seating position. It's more relaxing on the body and quite fun too.

Again, when you go to the course, you will get a better idea what works for you.

I was on the sportbike style and cruiser and i like the sport more(mind you it was a cruiser/cruiser and not my cruiser/touring/sport that i have now).

I personally was not a fan of the traditional cruiser bike.

Hi OP please don't take this the wrong way but you should re-organize some of your priorities first before getting an M license. Ie) lose 100-200 lbs, then get M license... I don't want to get all preachy here but losing weight would have more of a positive impact on your life then riding a motorcycle...

That is getting a bit preachy.

It could be the turn around he needs, to get out from behind a computer and enjoy the riding season.

I know it made me more social and active.

OP you can use this as motivation to diet.. Or diet more if you already are.. Just trying to motivate not being a jerk

To answer your question, i would go for an older v twin..
You can get a big frame bike and the v twin engine is more newbie friendly

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Thanks all! Don't worry no one's sounding preachy. I am in the process of losing weight. Lost a bit already. As rotten Ronnie said. I am using this as a bit of a way to get out and enjoy the great outdoors a bit more. I work cleaning cars 5 days a in a garage... so I'd like a nice way to be able to get out and hang with the guys a little more a lot of my friends have bikes and go out on weekends so weekend are sometimes just me... thanks again!

Last edited:
Whatever you end up getting plan on having a suspension shop put in heavier springs. If you are bottoming out on the springs it can be dangerous especially in a curve.

I would look at 650-750 CC cruisers. Look for bikes designed to accomodate 2 people (properly) and you will have better luck with suspension. The smaller bikes (250) although they can take 2 people are not the most comfortable ridden that way.

As others have said, be careful with the handling, I took at 250 lb passenger once and it was the scariest ride of my life, the suspension was entirely outgunned (even with preload maxed).

You'll love it provided you get decent rain gear. :D

I've definitely got to get myself some riding gear. Are there any company's that make gear specifically for really hot humid conditions? That like breathe very well?

You will want to look for a good three season jacket. Something with a cold weather liner and vents for warmer weather.

Then set your sights on a summer jacket made of mesh.

It really depends on your budget.

I was a 2XL guy and I found my choices a bit limited.

Cycle world Superstore had some decent larger riding gear, but quite a lot of it is last year's stock etc.

For rain gear, wait until you have a jacket that fits then purchase a set of that yellow two piece that you see in construction supply stores.

Order off of the Internet only when you know it will fit, by having previously tried it on in the store. And they will hit you with duty on clothing purchased and shipped across the border.

Gpbikes has some larger sizes, but you will probably have more luck with Royal Distributing just down the street.

In January there is a very large motorcycle show at the International Centre that will have all the vendors in one place and much much more to choose from. Save your Xmas money for this one.

For riding pants, a sturdy pair of jeans and a set of leather chaps is all you need.

Whatever you end up getting plan on having a suspension shop put in heavier springs. If you are bottoming out on the springs it can be dangerous especially in a curve.

Considering most bikes are tuned for little 180lb people, I gotta do this with all my bikes. Best money spent is having a proper suspension setup.

Ideal would be a used dual sport 400/650 eg Suzuki DRZ400 or DR650 or Kawasaki KLR650 - they're bomb proof. Then trade it for a Suzuki V-Strom 650 for longer rides. The dual sports aren't too comfortable for long rides. Just modify your bike with suitable suspension springs.

Last edited:
One other idea is to purchase a bike that fits and look into private lessons. I'm not that concerned about the weight but a lot of normal sized men have trouble on the 250s. Knees and elbows everywhere!

I think you are on the right track regarding mobility and your size. Most times it is not "the bike" when you are learning, but big guys do have it harder trying to learn on a bike when the bars are smacking their knees.

Most schools offer private lessons. Hell for the right amount of cash I will come holler at you in a parking lot.

Good luck man

Back
Top Bottom