Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada

Thanks Espro & CafeRay
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

For noise readings, you have to know at what distance from the bike, at what angle, and height. And Decibel scale is not a linear scale (but we still use it for some reason).

People mow their lawns at 7am, 8am, whatever. And they do it for 30mins, an hour, two hours, whatever. Someone riding by on a bike might affect you for 30 seconds. I get that straight piped bikes are really loud and really annoying, and I'm all for noise restrictions to some degree but the legislation cannot clearly target a single vehicle and enforcement blitzes shouldn't target a single vehicle type either.

Apparently in Quebec you're not allowed to ride motorcycles in some areas of the city. You want to start seeing that be more widespread? Where your road legal vehicle isn't allowed to pass through sleepy-town XYZ?

There are bylaws that regulate things like mowing your lawn at ungodly hours. Wind your lawn mower up at 7:00am on a Saturday and you're likely to have a bylaw enforcement officer knocking on your door.

*EDIT* You haven't been able to ride through some few neighbourhoods, in Montreal, for better than 20 years now. I found this out the hard way, though fortunately without getting a ticket, back around '94.

For noise readings, you have to know at what distance from the bike, at what angle, and height. And Decibel scale is not a linear scale (but we still use it for some reason).

Because the human ear registers sound logarithmically, not linearly.

Last edited:
want to start seeing that be more widespread? Where your road legal vehicle isn't allowed to pass through sleepy-town XYZ?

Im old, and your very late to the party. In the early '70s many small towns in Ontario, Milton where I live banned snowmobiles from the town limits. No riding your licensed and insured legal snow machine around town even in a blizzard. It hasn't been enforced in a couple decades because nobody remembers and all the idiots that rode around town at 3am, usually half in the bag went away. The old sno engines put up enough radio interference to wreck TV antenna signals, they were hated, and rode in packs and made a nuisance of them selves so they got the boot. And now its loud pipe on bike time, not like they haven't been threatening this for a couple years

I ride a cruiser with aftermarket pipes, they have a nice rumbling sound. I ride with jeans, T-shirt and a beanie, I have also been known to ride my bike with my left hand resting on my knee. Please forgive me. Contrary to some members' opinions a lot of cruiser owners do know how to ride. We know the limitations of our bikes and we're quite comfortable with twisties. We also know what our breaks are capable of. End *****.
I am also fully aware that if I'm revving my bike like a dumb *** through town, I'm liable to be pulled over, I can live with that. But if you're going to measure the decibel level of my bike, please also do something about the GO trains and the freight trains that run constantly throughout the GTHA. And worst yet do something about the ****ing construction sites that insist on starting work at 7am six days a week!

I am also fully aware that if I'm revving my bike like a dumb *** through town, I'm liable to be pulled over, I can live with that.
Unfortunately, everybody else has to live with your decision too.
But if you're going to measure the decibel level of my bike, please also do something about the GO trains and the freight trains that run constantly throughout the GTHA. And worst yet do something about the ****ing construction sites that insist on starting work at 7am six days a week!
Some noise is inevitable in populated areas and most people put up with it in exchange for the fact that said noise serves a greater purpose, e.g., the houses we live in were all built noisily, the trains bring people and goods the city needs, etc. Loud pipes on public roads exist solely to stoke the ego of the rider.

Because the human ear registers sound logarithmically, not linearly.

Yes, but the scale is difficult for people to understand, when they read 90 decibels is one noise source, and another is 100, they don't understand what that means.
This is why whenever you read articles about pipes and decibels, they have to take a paragraph to explain all this, why not just use a linear scale.

I don't think straight pipe riders realize that when they accelerate hard from a light, they can do hearing damage to pedestrians. Do they know this? Do they care?

As long as these laws are written in a way that they end up being enforced in a consistent fashion (and not with a cop sticking a decibel meter up someone's tailpipe), don't really have a problem with this.

A national standard would be best. Hell, we could adapt the EC approval system wholesale (while grandfathering in older bikes that have never had such exhausts available and never will).

While we're at it, maybe somebody can notice that the motorcycle industry is still self-regulating when it comes to emissions, and they're not doing a great job?

Unfortunately, everybody else has to live with your decision too.
Point is I don't rev my bike like a dumb *** from light to light
Some noise is inevitable in populated areas and most people put up with it in exchange for the fact that said noise serves a greater purpose, e.g., the houses we live in were all built noisily, the trains bring people and goods the city needs, etc. Loud pipes on public roads exist solely to stoke the ego of the rider.
Who's to judge what is a greater purpose, I ride my bike to work virtually every day. My going to work supports the economy and I manage a large group of people who supply the needs of many cities. So does that not allow me the same rights as a train or a construction site?

As long as these laws are written in a way that they end up being enforced in a consistent fashion (and not with a cop sticking a decibel meter up someone's tailpipe), don't really have a problem with this.

A national standard would be best. Hell, we could adapt the EC approval system wholesale (while grandfathering in older bikes that have never had such exhausts available and never will).

While we're at it, maybe somebody can notice that the motorcycle industry is still self-regulating when it comes to emissions, and they're not doing a great job?

I think the idea behind emissions is completely butt**** stupid. Electric motor vehicles have been around for an extremely long time, from hydrogen fuel cells to whatever they're using now. While I've grown fond of the modern engine, its no doubt that somebody (gas companies sleeping with governments) is preventing the development of engines that use an alternate energy source. If they really care about emissions, make a new engine type!

油井緋色;2205856 said:
If they really care about emissions, make a new engine type!

You mean like Mission RS, Brammo Empluse, Zero S, Energetica, Mugen, Harley LiveWire, Yamaha PES?

[video=youtube;B63LdK6RUuk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B63LdK6RUuk[/video]

Who's to judge what is a greater purpose, I ride my bike to work virtually every day. My going to work supports the economy and I manage a large group of people who supply the needs of many cities. So does that not allow me the same rights as a train or a construction site?
Society as whole judges, that's why we have laws, social norms, and mores. And while your contribution is laudable, it does not in itself generate undue noise. If you can figure out a way to hammer a nail or drive a train without making noise, great. In the meantime, those activities have no choice, but are still subject to restrictions so as to disturb as few people as possible.
There is simply no justification for riding a bike with loud pipes on public roads, at least none that serves anyone other than the rider, and for no other reason than self gratification. It's a form of aural masturbation.

You mean like Mission RS, Brammo Empluse, Zero S, Energetica, Mugen, Harley LiveWire, Yamaha PES?

[video=youtube;B63LdK6RUuk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B63LdK6RUuk[/video]

Yup. I hope they get popular enough to reduce the "electric business margin" attached to all of them -_-
....or the government is going continue sleeping with the oil companies and slap regulations on the electric motors (again).

油井緋色;2205860 said:
Yup. I hope they get popular enough to reduce the "electric business margin" attached to all of them -_-
....or the government is going continue sleeping with the oil companies and slap regulations on the electric motors (again).

Until the battery tech starts to catch up they wont catch on. But i honestly think its a matter of time.

The goofy thing to me is how fast many sport bikers adopted the Harley "style",
where I would've expected them to eschew it.

I take it that I'm safe with any stock pipes, same as I am with the stock tail?

The goofy thing to me is how fast many sport bikers adopted the Harley "style",
where I would've expected them to eschew it.

I take it that I'm safe with any stock pipes, same as I am with the stock tail?

After commuting everyday in a cage, I question if loud pipes DON'T save lives. While I'm constantly looking for motorcycles during lane changes (because we all know how fast SS bikes can accelerate), there have been times where I can hear a bike 100 meters (at least) behind me coming.

I understand that the sound is shooting the wrong way (behind) but you can hear them before you see 'em. I haven't had anyone pull a 13k rpm pass on me yet though...I'm curious to be on the receiving end of that one lol

Until the battery tech starts to catch up they wont catch on. But i honestly think its a matter of time.

It's close now, for commuters. If they can manage a real world 100+ miles on a charge then I might well buy. If so then I'll stick a hockey card on a clothespin through the spokes, and call it a day on the "loud pipes save lives" thing.

I keep meaning to take a test ride on a Zero, and just never seem to manage the time.

油井緋色;2205871 said:
After commuting everyday in a cage, I question if loud pipes DON'T save lives. While I'm constantly looking for motorcycles during lane changes (because we all know how fast SS bikes can accelerate), there have been times where I can hear a bike 100 meters (at least) behind me coming.

I understand that the sound is shooting the wrong way (behind) but you can hear them before you see 'em. I haven't had anyone pull a 13k rpm pass on me yet though...I'm curious to be on the receiving end of that one lol

I almost hit someone because I was looking in the other direction for him.
it didn't work too well in the valley, what with the echo.

油井緋色;2205860 said:

Not all countries are thinking this way, while nothing about new technology in batteries will ever come from Canada, the US government is investing big in this research, but much more by China and Japan.

Back
Top Bottom