Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada

I think the biggest issue here is that bikes are being targeted. Growing up, we put loud exhausts on our Civic and VW's, and they still do. Do they not also make noise?

Yes, but Civic and VW drivers don't get into large groups and drive back and forth between donut shops all night.

I think people need to go up into Halton hills on a Saturday-Sunday morning and see how bad it is with middle aged men and women on straight pipe Harleys. They ride into town and make all that racket, then buy a small double-double for the local economy.

When the law kicks in, the HD crowd will likely complain and protest with LPSL, but they have nothing to stand on, because all proper studies prove loud pipes either just make noise, or put the rider at higher risk. Seems to me if one was really concerned about safety, they would buy a bike with less weight, actual cornering clearance and useful brakes, and maybe anything but a novelty helmet.
The number of these bikes I see dumped on the 403W/Linc on/off-ramps every weekend is pretty comical. Hamilton's Tail of the Gecko.

In the article people arguing FOR keeping loud exhaust don't help themselves. 92db for a bike when most lawnmowers are 107??? does anybody rev a lawnmower?

People mow their lawns at 7am, 8am, whatever. And they do it for 30mins, an hour, two hours, whatever. Someone riding by on a bike might affect you for 30 seconds. I get that straight piped bikes are really loud and really annoying, and I'm all for noise restrictions to some degree but the legislation cannot clearly target a single vehicle and enforcement blitzes shouldn't target a single vehicle type either.

Apparently in Quebec you're not allowed to ride motorcycles in some areas of the city. You want to start seeing that be more widespread? Where your road legal vehicle isn't allowed to pass through sleepy-town XYZ?

People mow their lawns at 7am, 8am, whatever. And they do it for 30mins, an hour, two hours, whatever. Someone riding by on a bike might affect you for 30 seconds.

No, in some popular riding routes, the locals have to listen to that all day on nice weather weekends, they pray for rain.
Quebec city warned, appeal to riders, warned, and eventually they just gave up and banned bikes.

I see no reason why Home Depot and others can keep selling those Chinese built mowers with almost no mufflers, and because of US refusing to regulate mowers because of Briggs and Stratton.
Honda mowers are quiet, but I'm sure someone is going to fit an Akra to one.

I highlight the part in red, to point out this is already done on a regular basis. OPP, regional forces and MTO enforcement all team up to hold "commercial vehicle blitzs"

People mow their lawns at 7am, 8am, whatever. And they do it for 30mins, an hour, two hours, whatever. Someone riding by on a bike might affect you for 30 seconds. I get that straight piped bikes are really loud and really annoying, and I'm all for noise restrictions to some degree but the legislation cannot clearly target a single vehicle and enforcement blitzes shouldn't target a single vehicle type either.

Apparently in Quebec you're not allowed to ride motorcycles in some areas of the city. You want to start seeing that be more widespread? Where your road legal vehicle isn't allowed to pass through sleepy-town XYZ?

I think people need to go up into Halton hills on a Saturday-Sunday morning and see how bad it is with middle aged men and women on straight pipe Harleys. They ride into town and make all that racket, then buy a small double-double for the local economy.

When the law kicks in, the HD crowd will likely complain and protest with LPSL, but they have nothing to stand on, because all proper studies prove loud pipes either just make noise, or put the rider at higher risk. Seems to me if one was really concerned about safety, they would buy a bike with less weight, actual cornering clearance and useful brakes, and maybe anything but a novelty helmet.
The number of these bikes I see dumped on the 403W/Linc on/off-ramps every weekend is pretty comical. Hamilton's Tail of the Gecko.
No question those folks exist, Ray, but you seem to sing a one-note song when it comes to H-Ds. I sense some history there. Frankly, it hurts your credibility. Seems to me there are plenty of sport bikes out there with riders who shouldn't be allowed on a tricycle, much less public roads. Just yesterday there was a long, entertaining thread started by a young man on a sport bike who had absolutely no grasp of how merging onto a highway works and was cursing all who disagreed. He even helpfully supplied video of the incident and still didn't get why he was wrong. The most advanced motorcycle in the world isn't going to compensate for that kind of willful ignorance.
I know nothing is going to change your mind about Harleys and that's ok. The MoCo will limp along without your approval and I will try to manfully get over my deeply hurt feelings. But if you want to be taken seriously at all, lose the invective. It comes across as churlish and petty. Unless that's what you were going for, in which case, carry on, you're doing splendidly.

No, in some popular riding routes, the locals have to listen to that all day on nice weather weekends, they pray for rain.
Quebec city warned, appeal to riders, warned, and eventually they just gave up and banned bikes.

Exactly what happened in forks of the credit. Can't blame those people for being sick of the noise. It's non stop there all weekend long.... for a 5 minute long road and a 30 min pose at the cafe. My friend actually owns the cafe and while he likes the business even he gets sick of the noise by some.

No question those folks exist, Ray, but you seem to sing a one-note song when it comes to H-Ds. I sense some history there. Frankly, it hurts your credibility. Seems to me there are plenty of sport bikes out there with riders who shouldn't be allowed on a tricycle, much less public roads.

Those guys on the SS bikes fall of that same cloverleaf at night. You can hear the redline shifts, then the sound of scraping plastic, next morning the roadside is littered with scraped "ONDA" and "MAHA" and "UKI" and "ASAKI" plastics. I should start a tree of shame, like TOTD.

The slightly smarter hooligans have figured out they can get way with more with quiet pipes.

I live about 2 km from the 403, and while I do hear sports bikes at night at 12,000rpm, there is far more noise from 18-wheelers engine braking, and that's all night.

I fear the Ontario government will enact a version of DriveClean on bikes, $40 fee every two years (or less) to check exhausts. They may insist any bike sale now requires a decibel check. Don't throw out those stock pipes.

If the legislation does something about those cheap azz rice burners with exhausts that cost more than the car. I'm all for it. While some bikes may be an issue during the summer. The cars with the useless aftermarket exhausts make incredible noise all year round. I could never understand what possesses someone to try and make their car sound like an extra loud lawnmower...

Last edited:
Now I'm curious to exactly what my bike would register on the noise meter. Anyone have a db meter and wanna let me know?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If the legislation does something about those cheap azz rice burners with exhausts that cost more than the car. I'm all for it. While some bikes may be an issue during the summer. The cars with the useless aftermarket exhausts make incredible noise all year round. I could never understand what poses someone to try and make their car sound like an extra loud lawnmower...

Rice owners install expensive exhausts? This is news to me.

Now I'm curious to exactly what my bike would register on the noise meter. Anyone have a db meter and wanna let me know?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

there's an app for that.

there's an app for that.

going to check now, thanks. But I'm rocking a Windows Phone, so maybe not.

Edit- found one, thanks!

Last edited:
going to check now, thanks. But I'm rocking a Windows Phone, so maybe not.

Probably not, but SPLnFFT is apparently the most accurate app on iOS, it was compared to a $2000 meter and nailed it each time, measures up to 130dB.

Back
Top Bottom