New To Cambridge/KW Area | GTAMotorcycle.com

New To Cambridge/KW Area

Hi All,

My name is Scott. I moved up here from Halifax for work. Looking to find some twisties around here (hopefully haha) to go riding.

I ride a 2013 Ninja 300 (pics below).

I have a few questions too that hopefully someone can answer:

1. My bike was purchased, registered and inspected in Nova Scotia. Since I have residence here now, what do I need to do to make it "Ontario" legal? I know I obviously need a plate, but I am unsure about inspection. I know that bikes are exempt from eTest (I'm pretty sure). I've already swapped over my insurance and have 60 days to get everything sorted out.

2. What is the stance on HID (6000k) in a halogen headlight enclosure? In NS, no one cares but I can swap it out within 15 mins if need be (and might just do it anyway to not piss off anyone lol).

3. What is the stance on helmet cams here? I have a Garmin Virb, I use it to record rides for my own protection and to save funny/****** driver moments.

4. Where is the closest Kawi dealer?

Mods include:

- Carbon Fiber M4 Exhaust
- Carbon Fiber behind seat fairing
- Carbon Fiber sing arm spools
- Shogun frame sliders
- After market fold up/adjustable levers
- GiPro shift indicator
- Rubber inserts for foot pegs
- Custom smashed left side fairing from movers
- Tail tidy kit with carbon fiber plate frame
- Mirror extenders

Roughly 12,000kms since last July.

995770_10153078861045500_1698659621_n.jpg

1560555_10153705116790500_530084605_n.jpg

Welcome!

You need to get the bike safetied by a licensed motorcycle mechanic first.

Proof of Ontario motorcycle insurance.

Then visit an Ontario Service Centre to register and replate the bike.

You won't be happy with the insurance, I can tell you that now.

There is a thread on HID vs. LED going on now with more information than I could provide.

Technically according to the highway traffic act attachments to a dot/snell/csa helmet are illegal, but are for the most part ignored, so you shouldn't have any problems unless you get stopped and they want to throw the book at you.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I had already switched my insurance over, even with my company discount it's still double of what I was paying in NS lol... crazy. Oh well.

Any recommendations on an inspection place in Cambridge or KW? Only thing i'll need is possibly brake pads which are easy to do and switch that HID bulb out.

Looks like after that I can go swap everything over at the DMV it seems.

Now... if it would stop raining for a bit...

Many of the Canadian Tire shops can safety a bike, but I'd call ahead first to ensure your oral one has a licensed motorcycle mechanic first.

I know your pain, as I was paying under $500 a year on PEI for full coverage. I'm now paying almost three times as much out in Whitby.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I had already switched my insurance over, even with my company discount it's still double of what I was paying in NS lol... crazy. Oh well.

Any recommendations on an inspection place in Cambridge or KW? Only thing i'll need is possibly brake pads which are easy to do and switch that HID bulb out.

Looks like after that I can go swap everything over at the DMV it seems.

Now... if it would stop raining for a bit...

yates small engines in Ayr will give you a cert. He wont screw you with extras to increase the bill either

If I was you, I'd leave it registered in Halifax & pay insurance in Halifax. Do you necessarily have to switch it over.

You're probably here temporarily anyway

Hey All,

Thanks for the heads up on Yates. I will give them a call soon to get the inspection done. I do need to swap over everything. Moved here permanently for a new job.

I agree on the HID bulb, swapping it out tomorrow :). Was out for a ride tonight, found some back roads. The amount (or lack) of potholes here is amazing. I love it haha.

Welcome

People please stop with these HID kits, you're blinding the **** out of everyone
[RANT] Hey Paul, on the east coast the street lights are non existent outside of town, and seeing the Moose cow or deer you are about to hit becomes pretty darned important. [/END RANT]

If I was you, I'd leave it registered in Halifax & pay insurance in Halifax. Do you necessarily have to switch it over.

You're probably here temporarily anyway
It could be construed as insurance fraud unless he reports the address change to his broker in NS.

[RANT] Hey Paul, on the east coast the street lights are non existent outside of town, and seeing the Moose cow or deer you are about to hit becomes pretty darned important. [/END RANT]

Yeah, almost everyone has them out there. Had them in my car too but switched them back as well. Anyone want to lend me $500 for Projectors? ;)

When I was on my DR650E on the island, my stock headlight would depress going downhill and I'd lose sight of which way the road was curving. I upgraded the bulb to a piaa super plasma and enjoyed seeing further ahead and to the sides.

I remember one year riding down to Virginia on my KLR after sunset and asking my buddy to lead the way on his gsxr so we could see!

I recall riding back from the Cabot Trail through NS, turning a corner and almost colliding with a wandering cow on the road, as in the corner my square headlight depressed and made that extreme left a blind spot.

The Versys does alright for stock lighting, but I'd like to farkle on a pair of driving lights aimed for deer on the verge for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom