US $ Credit Card | GTAMotorcycle.com

US $ Credit Card

RockerGuy

Banned
Site Supporter
Anybody have a US $ credit card? Any you'd recommend?
How about a US $ account where you can pay off that credit card online?

I'd like to know suggestions, thanks

TD All-Inclusive Banking: Keep a $5K minimum balance in a TD chequing account and you'll get the USD savings account and Visa card free, as well as a whole host of other benefits (safety deposit box, CDN Visa card).

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/accounts/chequing-accounts/all-inclusive.jsp

And if you sign up before August 1st you'll get a tablet too. I just got one, it'll be great for tours.

Most purchases I make in US$ now I use the Amazon card... they don't charge the 2.5% currency exchange fee like every other credit card, plus you get a 1% bonus in Amazon bucks.

If I could predict which way our dollar was going to go in respect to the USD I'd buy a bunch of US$ and use the TD card, but since I don't then I just pay the rate of the day with the Amazon card.

I'm looking at their site & I believe there is a yearly fee

There's two levels of US accounts at TD. One you have to keep a minimum amount in and that's free otherwise there's a yearly rate and you get a better level of exchange rate etc, the other is one with no minimum, is free but has a ****** exchange rate.

Either exchange rate is a bit like being mugged by a man in a suit though. I find all canadian banks to be a bit like that book..only paraphrased "50 shades of ****".

It doesn't say US$ but I'm sure you know what you're talking about

Here you go:

ftczeu.jpg

Most purchases I make in US$ now I use the Amazon card... they don't charge the 2.5% currency exchange fee like every other credit card, plus you get a 1% bonus in Amazon bucks.

I just signed up for this a few weeks ago. It's a great idea for international travel.

after looking at it a lot and looking at possible options I just use my CDN card and pay an exchange. My pay is in CDN so I have to convert to US anyway and get dinged at the bank, I do have a US acct at TD here and a US acct at an American bank near my home in the US. I watch the exchange rate and convert cash when it looks right, kind of a crap shoot, if I was spending more than 15k a yr on an American card I might get an American card, but I collect air miles on my BMO world elite card and that makes me happy. We get about four free flts a yr on points.

The TD account is worth it if you have a lot of spare US cash lying around and buy stuff from US frequently. We buy all our business stuff from US so I don't convert US anymore it's not worth the current exchange rate.

If you have the TD US$ account and keep a balance of $3k min per month, the USD Visa card fee is waived as are fees on the account. You don't need a CAD account.
Plus Free U.S. Bank Drafts, Traveler's Cheques and cheque orders (if you need that sort of thing - I use the USD cheques to pay for vacations when required)

I have an Amazon.ca credit card which doesn't charge for currency exchange and gives cash back. Does that count?

I can definitely say it is handy. I have just heard of that All Inclusive Banking plan, however my wife is a TD Employee so it really doesn't matter for me. My USD Card and our USD Bank account are free already. However, I still get a slightly better exchange rate than you guys!! So there! :)

Rockerguy - It is super awesome in terms of buying stuff online, converting money when the exchange rate is in your advantage, going on vacation etc...

I converted a fairly sizable amount when the dollar was at $1.03. Super stoked I did that.... now, when we go on vacation or I need USD, it comes out of my USD account, and I check the current rate for the amount of money I am taking also... that way, when I transfer the CAD back into Savings, if I do it at the current dollar value, the money I took out of my investment in the first place makes a return of the difference in the USD -> CAD. In this case, it is around 10%! Bonus.

I have an Amazon.ca credit card which doesn't charge for currency exchange and gives cash back. Does that count?
What's the exchange rate like?

What's the exchange rate like?

Can't seem to find the exact rate. Here's what it says on their site:
Foreign currency transactions are converted at the exchange rate set by Visa International, without additional surcharges.

That's something to consider because I don't have 3k US $ now

Foreign currency transactions are converted at the exchange rate set by Visa International, without additional surcharges.

You know, this is actually a very good question. You may save 2.5% on foreign currency conversion rates, but what is the actual buy/sell rate set by Visa? Because surely it isn't the same as the actual f/x rate at the time.

So I checked, the "rate set by Visa International" is the corporate rate and can be found daily here:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-benefits/travel/exchange-rate-calculator.jsp (enter 0% for bank rate, as that is what Chase Amazon.ca charges you)

For today: Buy USD at $0.916751 CDN, sell USD at $0.910672 CDN, so a difference of +/- 0.3% around the floating exchange rate. Not bad!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom