something new for e-bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

something new for e-bikes?

suzuki2000

First off, I am not a fan of e-bikes and their riders in most cases....

recently have seen a lot of e-biker(?) riding not along the curb but in blocking positions in lanes both in the left track of cub lanes and even in the right track of the left lane. so now they are putting their 32 kph a$$es right out in all kinds of traffic wearing their undone bicycle helmets....

Anyone else seen this happening? Maybe it's a Niagara thing?

Kind of scary.. :eek:

Just had this discussion with a friend of mine. He wants them heavily regulated, license, insurance, the whole shmear. I'd hate to see any more big brother intervention, it's getting stupid. Is there no way to enforce rules of the road without being draconian?

If they want to play with the big boys, they should be plated as LSVs...if they want to stick to the curbs like a bicycle, then leave them as is.

Still, it does bug me we have to share the road with them and they are unlicensed and uninsured. Does that mean if one hits you they don't get charged and you end up with an at-fault on your record (since there was no other plated vehicle involved)?

Last edited:
I've seen it in downtown Toronto lately.
If you see one doing it repeatedly. Put padlocks on his spokes

If you drive enough you'll eventually see E-bikes doing every possible bonehead move. Trying to hold with fuel powered traffic, crossing three lanes to make a left, riding sidwalks and using pedestrian crossings and ignoring the red don't cross hand.
How these things got on the road unlicensed/uninsured/unregulated is really quite unbelievable . Police just completely ignore them for whatever reason.

If you drive enough you'll eventually see E-bikes doing every possible bonehead move. Trying to hold with fuel powered traffic, crossing three lanes to make a left, riding sidwalks and using pedestrian crossings and ignoring the red don't cross hand.
How these things got on the road unlicensed/uninsured/unregulated is really quite unbelievable . Police just completely ignore them for whatever reason.

Their offenses are ignored for the same reason regular bikes are ignored.

Re insurance, I've seen them riding on a sidewalk, two up (Heavy two at that). The combined weight nearing the weight of a sport tourer could inflict serious damage.

BTW a lot of people I see riding them could use the exercise of conventional bike.

They are everything a bicycle is without burning a single calorie. Imagine the type of person that attracts.

If you ride a e bike, you are telling the world that you are worthless.

Only maggots ride these things.

Welfare Hogs

I have noticed more and more of them lane blocking, it is starting to become a significant problem. Plate, Insurance, License, problem solved (for the most part)...

I get a kick out of some of these responses from the elite. These are supposed to be slow moving, inexpensive people carriers. That they're ridden by a certain demographic should be no surprise. Not everybody on this planet functions at our high level. To get a sense of that take a look around at those who have achieved so much more than yourself and with relative ease. Now let those people judge your station in life and dictate what further restraints you should operate under to satisfy their self satisfied self. Enforcement of existing rules of the road should sort this problem out.

Well I'm gonna out myself as an ex e-biker. I used it to get to and from the GO station while I was working downtown. It saved me a bundle over taking the cage and I was faster out of the parking lot.
The reason why I used an e-bike over a regular bike was that I didn't wanna sweat in my work clothes. Never rode on sidewalks or in left tire track though.
Voila :)

when an ebike hits your car...who pays for your damages?

Assuming the e-bike was at fault they would be responsible. However the chances of them coughing up the money is slim IMO.
Therefore you go to your insurance company and see what it comes under. Maybe one of our insurance gurus can advise if this is an uninsured vehicle issue for which you might have coverage or possibly under another category. Will it affect your rates?

Will the insurance company go after the e-bike rider?

My wife caved in the side door of her Chevy and we were quoted $1500-$2000 to fix it. An e-bike could easily do that damage.

What if the rider was a kid and the parents bought him/her the bike? Who does the bike belong to since there is no ownership?

IMO the MOT is being negligent in ignoring the above. They'll wait until there are a few fatalities and then start the government funded coverup.

The whole situation with e-bikes is unfortunate. I really dont like them, not becaue of what they are but because teh riders typically have no clue...

my son will be 16 soon and unlike when i was a kid, he cant just get his license and have the ability to drive, graduatred licensing will make it so he cannot drive by himself for about another year, and then insurance will rip him a new one for the next 10+ years. Even looking at getting him a small displacement bike or scooter will be painful at 125cc and there are not many choices in bikes. i wish we had MT125's and some other non fairing bikes that he could consider as options. I know he could walk or ride a bike places, but it is not always a good option for a number of reasons...

Considering all of this an e-bike becomes an unfortunate reasonable option to provide him with a form of transportation. The "green" factor, low cost of operation, lack of licensing and worse insurance makes it viable for a young kid. The downside is all of these same reasons are why low lifes and idiots also ride them.

Should my son get one at some point, he knows he will be well schooled in what is right and wrong and how to ride one responsibly.

There is a better option than the scooter types I have one of these and it looks and weighs about the same as a bicycle .
pe8u6usa.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The whole situation with e-bikes is unfortunate. I really dont like them, not becaue of what they are but because teh riders typically have no clue...

my son will be 16 soon and unlike when i was a kid, he cant just get his license and have the ability to drive, graduatred licensing will make it so he cannot drive by himself for about another year, and then insurance will rip him a new one for the next 10+ years. Even looking at getting him a small displacement bike or scooter will be painful at 125cc and there are not many choices in bikes. i wish we had MT125's and some other non fairing bikes that he could consider as options. I know he could walk or ride a bike places, but it is not always a good option for a number of reasons...

Considering all of this an e-bike becomes an unfortunate reasonable option to provide him with a form of transportation. The "green" factor, low cost of operation, lack of licensing and worse insurance makes it viable for a young kid. The downside is all of these same reasons are why low lifes and idiots also ride them.

Should my son get one at some point, he knows he will be well schooled in what is right and wrong and how to ride one responsibly.

I would suggest getting some form of insurance when the time comes. If he has a collision you or he won't be stuck with the tab. I don't know if home owners insurance can cover a bike.

If they hit you and take off then you will be charged with a collision and it counts against you.
I am not certain if you do get them to stop and the Police show up and or you get their id how your insurance company will treat that.
Just remember, the insurance company likes to mark everything against you.

There is a better option than the scooter types I have one of these and it looks and weighs about the same as a bicycle .
pe8u6usa.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

i make a living working on those damn e-scoots, so i don't mind them (financially)

BUT

they should be banning the scooters and only permit the bicycle-style ones.

either a hub, crank, or external drive (chain/belt), min tire size of 20", straddle seat, one person, with a vehicle weight.
also ban them (completely) from sidewalks & bike/walking paths.

these were meant to make it easier for the poor to get around cheaply & easily.

they have become a cross between golfcart and mobility scooter

Back
Top Bottom