bug spray
afterbite
camp soap
rope
allergy pills
beer
stove
2 canisters of butane

Love it! Love the third world bike look - not meant as an insult BTW - my friends don't call me the bungee cord queen for nothing :) You don't need a liter bike and shiny hard cases and comfy motel rooms to tour - just a bike, some bungees and an intrepid spirit.

I cant wait to start doing this! I love camping and I now love riding, what better than to combine the two <3

what do you do when you want to go more into the backcountry with canoes and portages n stuff.. just leave the bike behind? when I mentioned making plans of doing something like this to a friend they said the bikes would more than likely be gone when we got back :(

I cant wait to start doing this! I love camping and I now love riding, what better than to combine the two <3

what do you do when you want to go more into the backcountry with canoes and portages n stuff.. just leave the bike behind? when I mentioned making plans of doing something like this to a friend they said the bikes would more than likely be gone when we got back :(

That's definitely my concern when you really want to go off the grid for more than an overnight. Everyone and their grandmother owns a longbed truck up there. I imagine that more than one bike together would sound the dinner bells for some folks... :(

Kyle, great trip I imagine? How close were the nearest neighbors and could you hear/be bothered by them? (I've only gone portaging in Algonquin so I don't know what to expect from Algonquin's drive-up campsites)

Last edited:
this is what i want to know

I'd bet the only regret was not enough beer!

Still looks like a ton of fun! Hopefully I can manage to getaway and do this as well!

Still looks like a ton of fun! Hopefully I can manage to getaway and do this as well!

Well, you're in Barrie so compared to us you can practically touch it.

Good for ya.

Thanks for the comments. The neighbors weren't very close at all, of course because of how quiet it is up there and the site wraps around Mew Lake you heard a bit of noise, but off in the distance. Everyone just kind of left everyone else alone, although some old couple did offer me fire starters when they walked by my site and saw me struggling with my fire lol. All in all friendly people, left you alone and very quiet for the amount of people in the actual campground, mind you I it was a radio/dog free site.

Not sure about the back country, I want to do a trip like that on my bike sometime this season. I assume they have some sort of security? If not maybe I can talk them into hiding the bike in a bush somewhere lol? I don't know.

The only thing I ran out of and forgot was water, it wasn't an issue there was a general store right outside the campground and Whitney was only 10-15 minutes away if I ran out of anything else like beer.

Pretty sweet. I watched your video - interesting commentary. Post more. I've been meaning to do this for a while myself.

If I was gonna do backcountry I think I'd chain my bike to a tree (which means carrying a chain and lock), and then camouflage the heck out of it. Or see if the outfitter (probably Canoe Lake) would let me park it in a spot that wouldn't make it an easy target.

I wouldn't worry too much about Algonquin Park bears though, especially if you did everything right as far as food and food waste goes. Everybody knows: no food in the tent at any time. Hang everything - even/especially your garbage. And try not to smell pretty.

And sadly, (sorry to geek-out), but Algonquin is a provincial park, not national. (Is that why they can harvest the s*** out of it?) Cool fact though: no water flows into Algonquin Park.

Thanks! I have a bunch of vids posted. I meant Provincial, realized after I put up the vid, oh well lol.

How do you mean no water flows into Algonquin?

Back
Top Bottom