Left and right turns | GTAMotorcycle.com

Left and right turns

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
Has anyone else noticed the amount of vehicles that turn left into the right lane, and right into the left lane? I made a point the other day to watch this, and the numbers were unbelievable.
Am I wrong thinking that when I make a right turn, that I am supposed to turn into the right hand most lane?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Has anyone else noticed the amount of vehicles that turn left into the right lane, and right into the left lane? I made a point the other day to watch this, and the numbers were unbelievable.
Am I wrong thinking that when I make a right turn, that I am supposed to turn into the right hand most lane?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. The lack of lane discipline extends far beyond the left lane hogs.

A few months back I saw a driving instructor (must have been, because only one person in a driver's ed car) roll through a red turning right, straight in to the left lane of a 6 lane road (Hurontario near Eglinton) all whilst on the phone. Some days I wish I was a traffic cop, just for the **** I could dish out.

You are not wrong, as far as I'm aware. I encounter this daily. People even get annoyed/worried that I'd turn left as they turn right onto the same double lane road.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You are not wrong, as far as I'm aware. I encounter this daily. People even get annoyed/worried that I'd turn left as they turn right onto the same double lane road.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've gotten cut-eye dozens of times for making my left when they are turning right and wanted to go into the left lane.
I'm not sure if I noticed this more because I ride, but I am now more aware of it.

I had one woman try and argue that she had the right of way to turn right directly into the left most lane of a road more or less right at me as I had just turned left into the left most lane.

I just wait when turning left if there's a car making a right. I don't trust anyone's driving ability.

I usually do that too but think how well traffic would flow if asshats knew how to keep lane discipline!

Exactly.

I usually do that too but think how well traffic would flow if asshats knew how to keep lane discipline!

It sure would be nice, I'd like more than one car to make it through an advanced left too.

This is theory vs reality. Most people are too lazy to turn the wheel that little bit more to make a proper turn.
So they have to use both lanes. I've noticed this also with the double advance left. People can't even keep the vehicle in their own lane. Reality is sad and frustrating.

It sure would be nice, I'd like more than one car to make it through an advanced left too.

When Timmy is first in line waiting for an advanced green:
Cross traffic light has turned red, take my foot off the brake and start rolling, on the gas the instant I get the green arrow.

When anyone else is first in line waiting for an advanced green and Timmy is behind them:
What does that cloud look like to you?? I think it looks like.... a duck... Oh I my arrow just turned red, I'll go now!

The HTA explicitly states that you have to make a right turn into the right lane of the road that you are entering, left5 turn into the left lane of the road that you are entering, unless there are multiple turn lanes. I now see perhaps as much as 90% of drivers make illegal turns. This is not only a dangerous practise, but it also serves to slow traffic for no good reason. It's one of the things that I think needs serious enforcement.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK215

I have heard, however, that driving schools are even teaching this patently illegal practise.

When anyone else is first in line waiting for an advanced green and Timmy is behind them:
What does that cloud look like to you?? I think it looks like.... a duck... Oh I my arrow just turned red, I'll go now!

They're waiting for the right shade of green.

I had one woman try and argue that she had the right of way to turn right directly into the left most lane of a road more or less right at me as I had just turned left into the left most lane.

And if there had have been a collision you would have been deemed at fault.

The HTA explicitly states that you have to make a right turn into the right lane of the road that you are entering, left5 turn into the left lane of the road that you are entering, unless there are multiple turn lanes. I now see perhaps as much as 90% of drivers make illegal turns. This is not only a dangerous practise, but it also serves to slow traffic for no good reason. It's one of the things that I think needs serious enforcement.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK215

I have heard, however, that driving schools are even teaching this patently illegal practise.

Laws are only useful if enforced.
Traffic cops seem to only like to give speeding and careless tickets.
But I think you have the root cause here is that poor drivers are getting their licence & keeping it.
This needs to change.

My co-worker just got a ticket yesterday for this, turning left at a light into the right most Lane. Cop have her a ticket for impeding traffic. The kicker, there was no traffic and the ticket was only $65.

Laws are only useful if enforced.
Traffic cops seem to only like to give speeding and careless tickets.
But I think you have the root cause here is that poor drivers are getting their licence & keeping it.
This needs to change.

This is the key point. There are useful laws that are not enforced, while more useless laws are created that are rarely enforced. Roughly one in four cars I can see at any time, during rush hour, contain drivers who are using their cell phones in an illegal manner. Why do we pass more laws, that aren't going to be properly enforced?

Back
Top Bottom