Yamaha's MT series | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha's MT series

CafeRay

So, Yammie has a big hit with the MT series, with strong sales of the MT09 in the US, and the MT07 is sold out all over Europe. Same deal with the new MT125, which is a seriously nice little bike.

[video=youtube;6G4fZ8iEzSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4fZ8iEzSI[/video]

But, it all started with the MT01, which did not actually sell well. Victim of the 2008 crash? Because on paper, a bigass V-twin with 110ftlbs of torque and with R1 components seems like a cool idea.

MT_01.jpg

In my opinion...money. The 07 and 09 are fantastic bikes for the money. The MT01 was a fantastic bike as well but not for what they were asking for it dollar wise.

The MT-01 was a really cool concept, but as an actual motorcycle you had to pay money for, wasn't that great

Man that MT01 sounds amazing with an Akrapovic system.

I think the new MT series have been selling well due to price and features. FZ-09 is quite the package for $8,999 MSRP. Sure there are a few issues, but it's hard to deny the smiles provided ;)

I see people talking about snatchy throttle and suspension, but look at the cost. The engine and transmission are buttery smooth with no vibes. Maybe the expectations are just really high, but it's hard to match the price vs performance. I've been considering selling my FZ-09 for an Enduro (KTM 690), but after every ride the decision becomes tougher.

Offroad calls my name, but man I really do like this bike. In a perfect world I would have both, but financially its not possible.

On the Yamaha FZ-09 there are a lot of small things that I appreciate (coming from a supersport) Fuel Guage, Outside Temp, Flash-to-pass, decent light, tank reserve tripometer.

Last edited:
The engine was borrowed from the Warrior. Nice mill, but heavy and low-revving (5500 redline?). Not what the hooligan crowd expected at that price. There were a few upgrade kits too, from what I recall. Hybrid designs don't sell all that well, for whatever reason.

The Bulldog as another one--VStar 1100 engine in sport standard frame and not too expensive. Really liked that one myself. The MT03 street thumper sold well in Europe, was never offered in North America.

Put a liquid cooled engine into the MT-01 chassis it would sell . Put the vrod engine into a sporting frame I'm first in line to get one . Great concept executed wrong with air cooled engine .

Loved that MT-01 when it came out. A major hinderance IMO was the range with that tiny fuel tank. Yes price was an issue but dealerships were having a hard time giving them away when they were still in the showrooms after a couple years. I recall Blackfoot having new leftovers listed under $10k and they weren't selling.

What do you guys think the insurance rate will be on the FZ-07 (MT-07)?

I did a quick quote today with TD and it ended up being $2500 for liability only, I laughed since I paid $750 for my SV650 and $1300 for my 636.

Something might not be setup right in their system.

I did a quick quote today with TD and it ended up being $2500 for liability only, I laughed since I paid $750 for my SV650 and $1300 for my 636.

Try calling them.... Im insured with td as well and the online rate was much different than what i ended up getting

If you are part of a group you can save even more through MM

Always liked the idea of the MT-01. Just looks mean.
The price was too much for what it was at the time.
Might be a super buy used though. Especially since they weren't popular.

Funny enough, I got price from TD (with them now) on the FZ-07 at $1200. The girl on the phone was emphasizing that its a 2015 sport bike hence the rate.

I currently pay $550 for the EN500 which I cant complain too loudly about. (I'm 37 and riding for 4 years).

Put a liquid cooled engine into the MT-01 chassis it would sell . Put the vrod engine into a sporting frame I'm first in line to get one . Great concept executed wrong with air cooled engine .

A liquid cooled MT01 is an R1. It's a parts bike with R1 suspension and brakes, touring V-twin and a new alloy frame. There are stage kits for the MT01, with stage III having some serious HP.

Yamaha made the MT01 in response to sales of the Ducati monster and Buell bikes at that time. They got feedback from shows that people wanted a Harley-type big twin air cooled in a good sport chassis. The problem was that Harley riders will not switch to other brands, and Yamaha riders want an I-4.
Goes to show listening to market surveys doesn't always work.

The MT01 was very popular in Europe, especially Italy. I saw them everywhere. I've never seen one in Ontario on the road.

Funny enough, I got price from TD (with them now) on the FZ-07 at $1200. The girl on the phone was emphasizing that its a 2015 sport bike hence the rate.

I currently pay $550 for the EN500 which I cant complain too loudly about. (I'm 37 and riding for 4 years).

Yeah, FZs are quoted as super sports at TD, so to them, no difference between an FZ07 and R6...it's all arbitrary, and new models always have higher insurance.

The FZ07 is on the sport bike list? Wow. That about ends my interest in the FZ/MT line.

The FZ07 is on the sport bike list? Wow. That about ends my interest in the FZ/MT line.

At one company. There are no actual parameters that define a sport bike or sport tourer, so it's all about how much they think they can get way with.
All a competitor has to do is classify it sport touring and they grab all the business on what will likely be a top selling bike line.

Yamaha made the MT01 in response to sales of the Ducati monster and Buell bikes at that time. They got feedback from shows that people wanted a Harley-type big twin air cooled in a good sport chassis. The problem was that Harley riders will not switch to other brands, and Yamaha riders want an I-4.
Goes to show listening to market surveys doesn't always work.

There are some of us who get MT-01 type bikes (I ride Buell Cyclone) but not enough to build a business on, it would appear. I admired Erik Buells ambition and candoo spirit and I guess it might make sense that rational people want good, sporting chassis dynamics and a grunt motor for street duty. Imagine that, a capable sport chassis to please the sporty guys and a big honking aircooled torquer for the traditional set all wrapped in one awesome bike. That would sell like hotcakes or not at all. To wit: I have wet dreams about 790 kitted DR650 motor in a TZ250 chassis. If some OEM built something along those lines they would sell in huge numbers and completely change the the motorcycling landscape as we know it today. Unfortunately the previous sentence is completely out to lunch.

At one company. There are no actual parameters that define a sport bike or sport tourer, so it's all about how much they think they can get way with.

It's all a big ****** game as my previously mentioned 2000 Buell Cyclone magically transformed into a SS while I wasn't looking. Same insurance company. Something fishy going on with these bass turds.

It's all a big ****** game as my previously mentioned 2000 Buell Cyclone magically transformed into a SS while I wasn't looking. Same insurance company. Something fishy going on with these bass turds.

If the insurance was the same as my SV, I would buy it today.

I posted an insurance thread about this, the CB1000R and Z1000 are almost identical bikes, but one is considered super sport, the other a tourer, and the insurance difference is 35% or more.

Back
Top Bottom