Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options

I'd buy another if the price were right, say $150 dollars or so.

What I have my eye on to replace it with is the Garmin Montanna...
waterproof, rechargeable Li battery pack, runs on 3x AA batteries, or plugged in power source.

It's about 600 dollars, and I'm not sure if I can use my downloaded maps for it.

As you can see, I tend to prefer off road rugged GPS units.
small

I just bought a Etrex 20 to replace my Legend. Same size but way better hardware. I'll let you look it up. I got if for $200 new. Can't beat the battery life on these things.

P1130622.JPG

You took a pic while doing this.... lmao.

I have a Garmin Nuvi, with a RAM mount. Just recently changed my RAM mount to an adjustable one so I can put my phone on it too. It's not water proof but I keep a zip lock bag in my tank bag with and elastic band and that works good. I also use electrical tape to tape the charger to the GPS and to the battery connection, before I started taping it the vibrations from the bike would loosen the connection and my battery would die.

You took a pic while doing this.... lmao.

I have a Garmin Nuvi, with a RAM mount. Just recently changed my RAM mount to an adjustable one so I can put my phone on it too. It's not water proof but I keep a zip lock bag in my tank bag with and elastic band and that works good. I also use electrical tape to tape the charger to the GPS and to the battery connection, before I started taping it the vibrations from the bike would loosen the connection and my battery would die.

Pass any good shoe stores along the way?

Have a look at OSMAND. it's an app on android and maybe. iOS too. Pretty impressive for a phone gps. Has offline maps and also tracking capability. Paid version is only 8 bucks. The free version has pretty good functionality too.

his boots have seen better days....
P1130622.JPG
They just started leaking in Moncton NB. Not bad for 7 year old boots that slid down the road chasing a deer.

I wish I had a larger screen on my Garmin 60cx. I've been on the road for three days, and my I need reading glasses to see the little text. Lol.

I currently use a Garmin Zumo 660. It is attached to the left side of the handlebar so that it is in easy reach. Previous to that I had a Garmin 60Cx. Great unit but aging eyes made it harder to read (and sunglasses with reading lens built in doesn't really help plus the bigger screen is nicer for an overview.

My GPS units are always wired so that they have continuous power. Since I remove them if I am not nearby that is never an issue.

tip: Most GPS units will have a display field that show your Maximum Speed. Take your GPS on a jet next time you travel and sit near the window. Get the speed reading. (and if you are a techy nerd like me you can watch your route,etc.)

Why? I was pulled over once after doing the 507 and leaving the Town of Gooderham. I left the town in a somewhat enthusiastic speed before the speed increased to 80 kph.. I comment that I don't usually do that and the officer walks over to my Zumo and starts tapping buttons. I knew right away what he was doing and said "that won't likely help you much". He asked why and I showed him the Maximum Speed reading. It was over 900 kph! I told him my bike was fast compared to a car but not that fast. He laughed and let me go. (Last I heard GPS speed is not allowable in a courtroom but if the officer had seen a large speed like, lets say, 180 kph he would have likely thought my comment about not riding that fast was BS and given me a ticket.

..Tom

I currently use a Garmin Zumo 660. It is attached to the left side of the handlebar so that it is in easy reach. Previous to that I had a Garmin 60Cx. Great unit but aging eyes made it harder to read (and sunglasses with reading lens built in doesn't really help plus the bigger screen is nicer for an overview. My GPS units are always wired so that they have continuous power. Since I remove them if I am not nearby that is never an issue. tip: Most GPS units will have a display field that show your Maximum Speed. Take your GPS on a jet next time you travel and sit near the window. Get the speed reading. (and if you are a techy nerd like me you can watch your route,etc.) Why? I was pulled over once after doing the 507 and leaving the Town of Gooderham. I left the town in a somewhat enthusiastic speed before the speed increased to 80 kph.. I comment that I don't usually do that and the officer walks over to my Zumo and starts tapping buttons. I knew right away what he was doing and said "that won't likely help you much". He asked why and I showed him the Maximum Speed reading. It was over 900 kph! I told him my bike was fast compared to a car but not that fast. He laughed and let me go. (Last I heard GPS speed is not allowable in a courtroom but if the officer had seen a large speed like, lets say, 180 kph he would have likely thought my comment about not riding that fast was BS and given me a ticket. ..Tom
cops can't just start playing with your GPS without consent. Also, even if it said 160 km/h it doesn't prove anything. My GPS usually shows very hi Max Speed when the GPS loses signal and then finds it again. The GPS thinks I traveled a few kms in 1 sec.

cops can't just start playing with your GPS without consent. Also, even if it said 160 km/h it doesn't prove anything. My GPS usually shows very hi Max Speed when the GPS loses signal and then finds it again. The GPS thinks I traveled a few kms in 1 sec.

If your GPS thought you traveled even one KM in a second the speed displayed would be 3,600 kph. The display on my Zumo only goes to three digits and over that it doesn't' display a speed. I'd be curious what GPS you use?

As far as legalities you are missing the point. The officer had every right in the world to give me a ticket based on his radar readings. He let me off. How do you think he would have reacted if I started telling him he had no right to touch a GPS that was right in plain sight? (And honestly I don't know whether he has any legal right to do so. I mentioned in my post that I am aware that GPS data is inadmissible in court but we weren't in court. Plus I knew the Max speed reading of the GPS was over 900 kph.)

..Tom

If your GPS thought you traveled even one KM in a second the speed displayed would be 3,600 kph. The display on my Zumo only goes to three digits and over that it doesn't' display a speed. I'd be curious what GPS you use?

As far as legalities you are missing the point. The officer had every right in the world to give me a ticket based on his radar readings. He let me off. How do you think he would have reacted if I started telling him he had no right to touch a GPS that was right in plain sight? (And honestly I don't know whether he has any legal right to do so. I mentioned in my post that I am aware that GPS data is inadmissible in court but we weren't in court. Plus I knew the Max speed reading of the GPS was over 900 kph.)

..Tom

He didn't give you a ticket because he didn't have any proof you were speeding.... He was fishing when looking through your GPS.

"And honestly I don't know whether he has any legal right to do so."

Maybe you should look up what your rights are.

He didn't give you a ticket because he didn't have any proof you were speeding.... He was fishing when looking through your GPS.

Perhaps I wasn't clear and so I'll elaborate:

After 507 I headed east on 503 in Gooderham. As i got near the near the end of the town I accelerated not realizing it was still a 60 kph zone. His SUV was sitting in a driveway with radar. When I went past I saw him too late . I looked in my mirrors and saw him pull out of the driveway. I pulled right over took off my helmet, earplugs and waited for him. He mentioned the speed his radar caught me and I said I don't usually go that much over the limit. That's when he walked around to the GPS and started pressing buttons.

Yup I could have stood for my rights and said don't touch, blah blah blah. But what would that have done? Just annoyed him? He had me cleanly on his radar and could have given me a ticket anyway. Instead he laughed when he saw the Maximum speed and I said my bike wasn't that fast. I'm sure if it said 155kph or something like that he would have thought that I was someone that rode those speeds and maybe not given me a break.

..Tom

I'd really appreciate it if you can point me to where I can read what my rights are?

Thanks,

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom