Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options

I have had updates completely mess up my bluetooth streaming. Music pausing every 30 seconds or so, very annoying. So now that it is all running perfectly I am not going to do any updates unless they add some must have feature, but I am not counting on that.

Thankfully you can go back to an older version if the update does mess up your unit.
Yes, there are links on the zumo forums on how to install older firmware. There is a wiki that has a lot of information.

I recently bought the Zumo 590LM to replace my abused Zumo 660. It is really nice.

I prefer motorcycle GPSs to using a smartphone, for overall durability (waterproof, gasoline proof, survives 4+ years of direct scorching sunlight), ease of use while riding (like functional with gloved fingers).

If you have the money and you're in the market, I strongly recommend the 590LM.

The only thing it doesn't have when compared to the 660 is an Audible audiobook reader, which happens to be my #2 use (second only to street routing). I've invested several hundred dollars into Audible DRM'd books for my 660, so this was a bit of a tosser. I solved this gap with http://www.aimersoft.com/drm-media-converter.html and an MP3 splitter app (to break my 24+ hour audiobook rips into 5 minute chunks).

Of particular note is the 590LM's integration with my cell phone; Garmin released a Smartphone Link app that links to the GPS over bluetooth, and feeds it traffic, construction, traffic cam, weather, and weather alerts, and feeds that into your routing.

Also of note is new-to-Garmin "curvy route optimization". I can't say it'll magically find twisty roads in Ontario where there aren't any, but I have had it automatically route me up Snake Road and Southwood 13 when I was in those areas.

I've been using the 590LM for a couple weeks, and I'm very very pleased.

As for mounting options, that's pretty bike-specific. The 590LM ships with both car (windshield suction cup) and motorcycle handlebar mounts (which is _very_ bike specific, and not usable on my K1300S). I bought a K1300S-specific steering-tube cap with a 1" RAM-compatible ball, and that's working very well.

I haven't read through this entire thread so if it's been covered sorry in advance. I'm planning on a few long rides this year so I'm contemplating gps. That said I know at least tom-tom has an app for my phone (galaxy note 3, about to be 4) So anyways looking into it I see some not so great reviews on the google play store. Is it worth attempting to use an app or would I be better off just buying a gps unit? It's not something I would use a lot and while something like the garmin 590LM looks cool I won't spend that on a toy. Any suggestions?

I have maps/apps on my phone but to be honest, anything longer than a 2-3 day run, I reach for my GPS. Maps are always there,No data required, wired to the bike to charge, ziplock bag keeps mine waterproof.

Pulls double duty as a car gps so I do get use out of it. The moment you're in a spot where you have no reception or your offline maps aren't working on your phone cause the battery is too low, you'd be pining for a dedicated unit.

Having said all of that, how will you use it? Audio directions while the phone is in your jacket? Or will you mount it on the bike? If you're gonna mount it, get a GPS unit.

As for apps and stuff, HERE Maps was just brought into the Android app store and has THE best offline maps you can download (courtesy of Nokia/NavTeq). It's free right now.

If you don't use the GPS all the time, you are probably best off just using your phone and apps mentioned like HERE or Osmand or something that can download offline maps. You can mount using a RAM mount X-grip:
pp_ramb149zn7u.jpg

I use a different RAM mount... one that slides in on the sides like this:
new-RAM-cell-holder-640-280x335.jpg
and it works great too.

I don't often use my cellphone as a gps though, for the following reasons:
1) My phone is not waterproof, and wrapping it in a bag or a waterproof case makes it harder to use.
2) My screen does not respond to gloves, even if I have thumbdogs or anyglove, and I always ride with gloves. I don't think anyone makes decent motorcycle gloves that are touch screen capable.
3) I like to track every ride, and my GPS powers on when I turn my bike on and tracks immediately. I don't have to ensure certain apps are running.
4) The GPS I use is very easy to load tracks or make custom routes using basecamp or mapsource.

I use a hiking gps though, not a dedicated bike gps. Hiking gps are cheaper and can run on a couple AA batteries for 20+ hours if you need to.

On my Vstrom I use:
lf-lg.jpg
which is touch screen with any gloves, waterproof, vibration resistant, etc...

On my DRZ I use:
lf-lg.jpg
because it uses a solid power connection rather than mini usb -- mini usb always fails with high vibrations like offroad riding. Also this GPS does not have touchscreen, which is how I wanted it, because the controls are easier to use than a touch screen with gloves on.

The best bike GPS I have seen is the Nav 5, a Garmin GPS built for the New liquid cooled BMW R1200GS/A. No phone or any other GPS offers the features this GPS does with integration into the bike itself. Super easy control without needing to touch the screen, looks fantastic and a must buy in my opinion for a new GS. I know in a few years when I upgrade I will be plunking down the money for it.

[video=youtube_share;zgev4zoXIOk]http://youtu.be/zgev4zoXIOk[/video]

Not sure how a phone GPS compares, but I know there used to be issues with tree coverage, or in canyons, etc and the GPS signal being lost. The original Zumo and I am assuming all Zumo's after were supposed to have a much better receiver. My GPS is used first and foremost as a tool for touring. I have not seen anything that works as easily and simply as my Garmin Zumo connected with Basecamp. No websites, converting routes for my device, or anything else. It is well put together package that works. I have lifetime map updates, sd card support for more maps (Zumo itself holds all of N. America, Micro SD card has all Euro on it) plus music, audio books or even photos. When riding I get turn by turn voice in my helmet, I can answer calls, make calls, I can listen to music and it all works very well. I could turn the maps off and just view my playlist and go with audio turn by turn if I wanted to. My GPS is powered by my bike, no wires dangling from ports, plus the mount, it is all integrated, neat and clean. In the end, each to their own, but the dedicated GPS is far from a relic of the past.

... In the end, each to their own, but the dedicated GPS is far from a relic of the past.

Agreed!

It seems all my friends that actually ride their motorcycles use some form of actual GPS. In most cases one of the Zumo's and in some cases a waterproof GPS (Montana, Garmin 60CX, etc.)

Any that I know of that tried using the phone-as-gps concept went back to a bike-friendly GPS.

..Tom

The best bike GPS I have seen is the Nav 5, a Garmin GPS built for the New liquid cooled BMW R1200GS/A.

I was pretty curious about the integration between the Nav 5 and the LIN bus enabled BMW bikes.

However, from my initial research (totally not confirmed BTW) was its lack of a wired headphone cable coming off the base; it seemed like the audio contacts from the Zumo were repurposed for the LIN bus connections. Is this true? Are you dependent on Bluetooth to get audio out of your Nav V?

Rocket launchers would leave too much debris, I want phazers set to annihilate.

Back
Top Bottom