Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options

JoeyB

Site Supporter
What are you using and how are you mounting it? Thanks.

Garmin 295w with a ram mount, has survived MASSIVE storms (both rain and snow) with no cover at all.

Garmin Zumo 660.

It comes with a mounting kit and cradle that should fit any handlebar or brake/clutch reservoir, but I have a special aftermarket mount for my bike specifically. If you list your motorcycle make and year, you might get a list of specific mounts instead of the generic RAM Mount kits.

I've got an older Garmin 60cx that I've been using since 2011, before that it was a Garmin eTrex Vistacx that ran pretty much the same software.

I've mounted it on my Bandit GSF600s, my KLR, VFR, DR650E and most recently my Versys 650.

A 1 inch ram ball with medium length arm attached to a custom cradle that I bought off a gent on advrider as the Ram cradle for the 60cx broke when I had a get off in Quebec North of Manic Cinque.

P1130622.JPG

The older etrex Vista
P1240924.JPG

The Garmin 60cx:

Pros:
Water proof
battery operated
rugged
multiple power options
good receiver (rarely loses satellite reception even while riding in the Alps in Europe!)
maps available for download
Configurable data fields (Speed,Distance to next turn, ETA, Total distance remaining etc.)
buttons for main functions with gloved hands

Cons:
small screen
records 10,000 track points but will only accept a downloaded track of 500 points
max 60 waypoints permitted for a downloaded route

I'd buy another if the price were right, say $150 dollars or so.

What I have my eye on to replace it with is the Garmin Montanna...
waterproof, rechargeable Li battery pack, runs on 3x AA batteries, or plugged in power source.

It's about 600 dollars, and I'm not sure if I can use my downloaded maps for it.

As you can see, I tend to prefer off road rugged GPS units.
small

Garmin Zumo 660.

It comes with a mounting kit and cradle that should fit any handlebar or brake/clutch reservoir, but I have a special aftermarket mount for my bike specifically. If you list your motorcycle make and year, you might get a list of specific mounts instead of the generic RAM Mount kits.
Hey Gene, hope you're enjoying the trip. Thanks, for the info. Riding a GSXR, I know I know, not the best for touring but I'm a glutten for punishment.

Thanks Ronnie, great write up.

Use a techmount (http://www.techmounts.com/products/) mount made for my bike and a cheapie ($100?) Nuvi Garmin I had laying around. Ziplock bag goes over it when it rains.

I have a Gamin and a ziplock bag for the rain as well, held on with a ram mount.
But now my navigator is my smart phone google maps and my scala G9.
The voice navigator sure beats looking down to look for your next turn...

iPhone 4 with TomTom and various other nav apps offline and online.
Easy on off mount in a clear sleeve.

Works.

I have a Garmin 2720 with a RAM mount. THe GPS is old, but I've updated the maps on it. it's the size of a brick and it's waterproof

Garmin Nuvi 550 with Ram Mount - still using my 2010 maps so it's about time for an update.

Had an el cheapo 99c ebay mount on it for years which worked well until the plastic cracked and the gps fell off while riding along Southwood around 60km/h. The Nuvi faceplate broke off but it is still waterproof and RAM mount ever since and it is great. Handles torrential rains just fine and takes my Google Maps plotted routes quite nicely.

GOPR1184-L.jpg

Garmin 2555LMT, lifetime maps, $100 refurb at TigerDirect + a RAM mount. Baggie for when it pours. Superb value for money IMHO.

I am using my Samsung S4 with Tom-Tom with a RAM mount. Sometimes when navigating to a POI in a new city and have 4G coverage I am using Google Navigation as it is easier to find the point using Google maps.

It is the first time I am using this setup on a trip (I am in Utah, on my way back from California). Before I had a Garmin 200W also in RAM mount. Using my phone has numerous advantages over a dedicated GPS and very few cons if any.

Zumo, hardwired to battery from the mount. Best thing I got for the bike. Saved us in the mountains many times when running low on gas or checking out and planning routes. Easy to read, touchscreen with gloves on, waterproof.

Zumo, hardwired to battery from the mount. Best thing I got for the bike. Saved us in the mountains many times when running low on gas or checking out and planning routes. Easy to read, touchscreen with gloves on, waterproof.
+1If your touring, you do not want to rely on a gps battery. I have the Zumo 660 and love it. I can plot out all my trips with the maps in base camp, then send to my zumo with the same maps, so everything works perfect. It is pricier, but in my opinion it is the best. You have the ability to plot out every details offline and send to your gps hassle free.

I'm looking at the Montana too and I see it has an aux audio port but not bluetooth. Not been all to find if a cheapo bluetooth dongle would get turn by turn instructions to my helmet comms. Anyone know? I tried searching on the adv rider mega thread but no hits. Just hits for the sena bluetooth dongle but that thing is $170 which is outrageous for just a bluetooth adapter.

What are you using and how are you mounting it? Thanks.

The bike: Honda Shadow Spirit C2 750
The GPS: Garmin ZUMO 660 - fully waterproof and quite expensive mounted on left handlebar.
The voice doesn't work anymore but that's irrelevant on a motorcycle.
Other than a case of laryngitis the unit works fine.
The optics of the screen are great even for my old eyes
It's wired in with the bikes electrical system.
How? Haven't a clue, the mechanic at the bike shop did it.
I know it will discharge my battery if I leave it on while the bikes motor isn't running.

Back
Top Bottom