Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations for GPS units and mounting options

xFactor ....he bought a cheapie hiking GPS without touchscreen and a 2.2" screen....it works but not my cuppa.

•••

ith smart phone GPS, how do you do offline mapping on a computer? Can you download the maps from a site and work offline and upload to your smart phone later? Or are you dependent on internet for a feature like that?

Yes - there are translation programs that allow you to plot a route on googlemaps and then convert it to the gps file of your choice and load it in.

It's still evolving but very rapidly.

Here is the manual for MotionXGPS.

http://gps.motionx.com/downloads/MotionX-GPS-Manual.pdf

snip
Waypoints: View a listof your saved waypoints;view GPX file importinstructions

This is the App

1a.jpg

http://gps.motionx.com

The companion App is GPS drive which I use when there is a network connection
MotionX-GPS-Drive-151.jpg

http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/

••

In the case of Tom-Tom - I just let the app figure out the most interesting route with it's algorithm.

I do not think the TomTom app allows map imports.

Trails is one that does.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/trails-gps-tracker/id289190494?mt=8
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

There are a whole variety here....the bicycle riders are all over the category.

http://cyclingabout.com/index.php/2014/01/the-best-apps-for-gps-navigation-on-a-smartphone/

and a ton more here

http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-import-gpx

The hardest part is keeping up with the offerings and many of these are free ( tho some in app purchases are usually needed ).

Gaia GPS is getting good reviews as well
gaia-gps-topo-maps-trails-and-tracker-for-hiking-biking-camping-and-hunting-offline-1-0-s-386x470.jpg

http://appcrawlr.com/ios/gaia-gps-offline-topo-maps-and-?_src=discover_group

Does that app work without data?

Yes that's the idea, otherwise there is always Google Maps.

If I didnt have a Garmin StreetPilot 2720 that I bought on Kijiji for $75, Id be considering of buying the Tom Tom North America for my Samsung Galaxy.

20130803_131030.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that some can't afford a motorcycle dedicated gps. I used to happily usea Garmin 60cx which worked brilliantly but age meant hard to see screen. You would think that if you absolutely were stuck on using a cell phone as a gps then at least you would want a waterproof one like the Sony.

Many people that only drive cars seem happy with phone based gps solutions; but just about everyone I know that rides a motorcycle for any amount of touring has a proper gps and usually a motorcycle based gps.

..Tom

You would think that if you absolutely were stuck on using a cell phone as a gps

There are tons of waterproof cases for phones .....that's a non-starter argument.

What's a "proper GPS" ??

A one trick wonder??? :rolleyes:

•••
51OMgE8tZrL.jpg

Nuvi 500 is now $479 plus tax AND it's discontinued but I suppose you could find a used one for $200.
http://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-3-5-Inch-Navigator-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001CT009O

As I said, mostly habit. :D

It's been fun rambling around the various discussions on the subject....learned a few things too.

•••

This is the key translator for those that plot a route on the computer and then upload to a GPS

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx

and that includes translating googlemaps to GPX.

Good summary of the problem of price...

FWIW, I own a few different Garmin devices, and am in general a big fan of the company. I've found their customer service reasonably good (hey, they actually support the Mac platform, a BIG plus in my book). Their MC offerings function ok, but we're paying prices for the MC units equivalent to those we paid for automotive Garmin Nuvi's about 5 or 6 years ago when there was no cell phone competition. Their 660/665 units are nice and do work with gloves, etc, but the hardware is outdated and embarrassingly antiquated when compared to their new crop of car units, that incidentally sell for about half the price of the MC units.

I guess we suffer from a lack of competition in the marketplace, and more problematic, low unit volumes. Garmin doesn't sell enough MC units to create economies of scale, and no other manufacturer is forcing their hand. Big hypothetical question is, if they produced a cutting edge MC version based on Garmin's new auto units, and priced it like the car units (ie $350 or so), would they sell a ton of them? I don't know.. I'd buy one, but I'm a compulsive shopper!

The Peaklife GPS or similar may be an answer, but not for me either. I'm definitely more interested in solutions that work out of the box, and going riding. I know as much as I do about Garmin's 660/665 because I've looked closely at them. If the hardware was current generation I'd overlook look the price. If the price was in line with other units selling with the same basic hardware I'd overlook the outdated functionality. But it's a dated design selling for 2007 prices, and even a gadget nut like myself balks at that.

For now I'll carry on with the iPhone in a LifeProof case, and I'll maybe experiment with a Garmin car unit in a weather proof case.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...solution-request-upload-custom-maps-$250.html

Last edited:

If I didnt have a Garmin StreetPilot 2720 that I bought on Kijiji for $75, Id be considering of buying the Tom Tom North America for my Samsung Galaxy.

20130803_131030.jpg

You can use google maps without data? Just asking cause I keep my data off while travelling to save the battery and if crossing the boarder where all the good roads are my phone goes to airplane mode and I only use free wifi.

I wouldn't use any apps on my phone on my bike if it wasn't hooked up to a power source. Nothing worse then having a bike issues and you phone doesn't work.

There are tons of waterproof cases for phones .....that's a non-starter argument.

These are the best ones... I use it all the time on my phone and GPS. ;-p

img_7854.jpg

You can use google maps without data? Just asking cause I keep my data off while travelling to save the battery and if crossing the boarder where all the good roads are my phone goes to airplane mode and I only use free wifi.

I wouldn't use any apps on my phone on my bike if it wasn't hooked up to a power source. Nothing worse then having a bike issues and you phone doesn't work.

Google allows you to create a route on Google Map on your computer and them use that link in the Navigator app (Android). It will repeat the same route (you need the same starting point thou).

There are other apps that use Google maps as offline map. They might allow to use the same feature... but I haven't tried it.

Also, Google maps has a "offline mode" which allows you to cache an area.

Yeah - baggies are good :D

The downside with the caching maps from Google - the area is too small I've found.
MotionX will cache a bit for the Drive program...and off course GPS will read whatever you feed it.

20130803_131030.jpg

What version of the maps do you have on your Garmin 2720?

That's a big screen....7" ???

Seems bigger than most phones..

(I think there are some big screens on Android though, aren't there? I know my iPad is usless in any kind of sunshine some hopefully those bigger screens do a better job in the sun.)

..Tom

Last edited:
Seems bigger than most phones..

(I think there are some big screens on Android though, aren't there? I know my iPad is usless in any kind of sunshine some hopefully those bigger screens do a better job in the sun.)

..Tom

my ipad kept overheating and shutting down when it was in my see through tank bag pocket, the screen wasn't the only problem. There's a samsung galaxy note that has an enormous screen but isn't quite a tablet. The screen on my samsung galaxy s4 is not too good when it's inside the waterproof otter box, it would probably be a lt better on its own but I don't really want to do that as the otter box has great protection.

They get brighter every iteration.
I suspect the iPhone 6 will be a killer and with the sealed sapphire screen and bigger screen should be a treat to use as it won't require a clear cover.
There are already some edge sealing cases that allow direct contact with the iPhone screens yet are water proof.
lifeproof-nuud-case-review.jpg

http://www.zollotech.com/2013/07/24/lifeproof-nuud-case-for-iphone-5-review/

My simple solution works okay and I can always put a baggy around the phone if it's raining hard enough to matter - the voice nav is fine in the rain - don't really need to see the phone. I can use the phone normally with my gloves off - easy think on the Burgman as it has....glove boxes :D
Tho I usually just keep the gove in my teeth.

I came up from PA at midnight blowing like crazy and only checked the screen a couple of times just to verify the GPS was still working...never missed a turn ( tho I did ) and really enjoyed the late night ride with a huge tailwind. The phone in that cases was sitting in the glove box.

Voice nav took all anxiety away cept for deer tho it was pretty late for them to be out.

Last edited:
They get brighter every iteration.
I suspect the iPhone 6 will be a killer and with the sealed sapphire screen and bigger screen should be a treat to use as it won't require a clear cover.
There are already some edge sealing cases that allow direct contact with the iPhone screens yet are water proof.
lifeproof-nuud-case-review.jpg

http://www.zollotech.com/2013/07/24/lifeproof-nuud-case-for-iphone-5-review/

My simple solution works okay and I can always put a baggy around the phone if it's raining hard enough to matter - the voice nav is fine in the rain - don't really need to see the phone. I can use the phone normally with my gloves off - easy think on the Burgman as it has....glove boxes :D
Tho I usually just keep the gove in my teeth.

I came up from PA at midnight blowing like crazy and only checked the screen a couple of times just to verify the GPS was still working...never missed a turn ( tho I did ) and really enjoyed the late night ride with a huge tailwind. The phone in that cases was sitting in the glove box.

Voice nav took all anxiety away cept for deer tho it was pretty late for them to be out.

So much for "future proofing" if you have to buy a new phone every iteration.

Being able to see the screen is a big part if what makes a GPS useful on a motorcycle. It gives you awareness of what the road ahead is going to do (especially helpful in poor visibility conditions like when it is raining) and helps you see alternate roads when hitting congestion or detours.

As far as cases go, I came across this link on ADVrider. I don't think I'd want to trust a $600 phone to a case that might leak: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002444&referrerid=36735 (and of course there are the multiple reports of iPhone and iPads overheating when in cases.)

They are just not a good idea on a motorcycle. They aren't designed for that environment, aren't designed for the rain, for the vibration, for the heat, and aren't designed to be useable by a gloved rider and are difficult to read in the sunshine.

..Tom

Last edited:
My trusty old Garmin 2720 is waterproof and puts up with the sun and heat without issue

:rolleyes:

As far as cases go, I came across this link on ADVrider. I don't think I'd want to trust a $600 phone to a case that might leak:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ferrerid=36735 (and of course there are the multiple reports of iPhone and iPads overheating when in cases.)
He took in the water - :rolleyes:

They are just not a good idea on a motorcycle. They aren't designed for that environment, aren't designed for the rain, for the vibration, for the heat, and aren't designed to be useable by a gloved rider and are difficult to read in the sunshine.

You've never done it and claim to pass judgement on it. My comment on getting brighter is just an observation .....

Whereas I've been using mine riding for 2 years - rain and shine and night time and has never overheated.
and you don't always need to see a nav unit....voice is preferable nearly ALL the time.
Just what is not easily visible about this??
iphones are tough...my 4 cost me $300 2 years ago. You don't update every year just like you don't update a GPS every year. - all you are doing is making excuses because you think "experienced riders only use stand alone".

horsepucky.

This is a Kludgy set up ....works fine - others do RAM mounts etc.

ScreenShot2013-08-19atAug19201311606PM_zps1e96bfed.jpg

There are hundreds of riders if not thousands using smart phone solutions on ADVR and some prefer stand alone.
JusticeTouchscreenBlackBack_detail.jpg

If you really insist on using it with gloves....there are lots of solutions for that as well though I've never seen the need.

Icon Justice Touchscreen Gloves

Operating a touch screen device while fully gloved used to be in the realm solely of Tom Cruise...no longer. The Justice Touchscreen Glove not only sees the future but can finger the past. Equipped with a revolutionary nanotech leather unique to the Icon glove line, Justice Touchscreen allows complete command over any and all touch sensitive screens. The future is at your fingers - hit play.
Features:

• Touchtec leather palm allows you to use your touchscreen device with your gloves on
  • Leather finger gussets
  • Expansion panels in critical areas
  • Pre-curved palm and finger design
  • Injected thermoplastic knuckle
  • Pittards Microvent Goatskin on fingers, back of hand and thumb

OP wants a cost effective solution.
A used iPhone 4 or 4s will do fine and move forward as the software does and provides many additional benefits.

••

$_35.JPG
For Sale: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB white color.For Sale: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB white color.

These are tough devices, mine has been dropped several times ( in a case )
The last time I tried a standalone it failed just out of warranty and I got zip use out of it - the trouble with limited run items.

Last edited:
..Tom

If it works in a swimming pool, and a laundry machine without a case, I'm pretty sure it will be fine on the bike behind the windscreen, with the rare addition of a case for the most extreme weather.

[video=youtube;E9J611BuXhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9J611BuXhw[/video]

Not sure how it is on the iPhone, but on Samsung, you can also set the touchscreen sensitivity to highest, which is just as good as your fingers with your regular gloves on.

The reasons I'd like to do the switch to a Galaxy S5 from a Garmin is;
1) Use of data / traffic update on i.e Google Maps
2) Ability to use the internet to search for places
3) (Better) Control over calls/music/texts etc
4) Might as well use the camera sometimes too lol

Having said all that, I also believe that a Garmin (2720 in my case), is a very well & over engineered product.
I dropped it more times than I can count and I worry that it may even break the floor due its weight, yet it still works.
Operated from -10c to 40c of the constant heat and sun of Nevada desert.
Went through the harshest storms that I've been.

For only $75, it's probably the best purchase I ever made in my life in terms of performance/cost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom