Interesting graph on ages, violations, and crashes. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting graph on ages, violations, and crashes.

CafeRay

After yet another tragedy last week with yet another >60 driver slamming the gas instead of the brake and crashing through a store (Costco this time, usually Tim Hortons), I decided to see exactly which age range has the most accidents, rather than rely on myths from the MOT and the insurance industry...

image003.gif

http://www.qualityplanning.com/qpc_resources_public/news/030929-Older drivers.htm

So, according the MOT, ticketing people for moving violations is supposed to reduce accidents, and according to the insurance industry, younger drivers should have to pay much more for liability <30 (like 400-600% more).

This graph is ten years old, and the data is skewing harder to older people in the last ten years.

Discuss.

She's 60, not that old. But, this will be called an "accident".
Google, "car crashes into store" and see hundreds of photos.

People >60 should be required to drive manual transmission cars. With manual transmission now around 5% of the fleet, and drivers getting older on average, this is only going to get worse.

Be prepared for stores to fortify their front entrances even more. The MOT reacts every few years to deal with stats on young drivers and motorcycle riders, but they haven't changed anything about older drivers. They don't even consider drivers old before 80, and the annual exam is a joke.

Public health data supports this. In 2010, two thirds of Canadians over the age of 65 were using multiple medications and nearly nine out of 10 suffered from a chronic condition; a quarter of adults in the 65 to 79 age group suffered four or more chronic conditions. In the 80-plus age group, the number jumped to more than a third, according to data published by the Public Health Agency of Canada.

That is scary.

Try and touch this as a politician, and you'll end your career. <30s are too cool to vote.

Dat bathtub curve

It is rumoured that the woman driving the car in the Costco incident had a stroke.

Public health data supports this. In 2010, two thirds of Canadians over the age of 65 were using multiple medications and nearly nine out of 10 suffered from a chronic condition; a quarter of adults in the 65 to 79 age group suffered four or more chronic conditions. In the 80-plus age group, the number jumped to more than a third, according to data published by the Public Health Agency of Canada.

That is scary.

Try and touch this as a politician, and you'll end your career. <30s are too cool to vote.

Hell ya, it's scary! It's texting, unruly kids, eating and a gambit of other distractions that makes driving, waiting for a bus or just plain going outside risky. Coming home on the 401 Saturday, my friend got pushed out of her lane by a cager, in heavy crawling traffic. How can a bike win against a car? But what are we to do, live under a rock? Given the aging population may be under the influence of prescription narcotics, etc. Should doctors be required to inform the MOT of prescriptions people take? Should the MOT enforce: "do not operate machinery or drive a car" to these individuals? I say yes, having been witness to a geezer on Oxy. (of course, I may eventually end up being one of these "banned drivers" losing their independence). My heart felt condolences go out to those affected by these accidents. 'Till then, keep your eyes opened and your reflexes sharp.

Last edited:
It is rumoured that the woman driving the car in the Costco incident had a stroke.

I doubt that. There are hundreds of crashes like this from people hitting the gas instead of the brake and panicking. In the 1990s and even a few years ago, lawsuits hit Audi and Toyota over "sudden acceleration". This is why auto makers now put black boxes in many models, because it saved Toyota millions when they could prove the people were just jamming the throttle.

How many old people drive really far?
The per 1,000,000 miles will skew the results vs time.

First line in graph is only 4 years, yet has the most accidents.

What hypothesis was the researcher trying to prove?

edit: for someone over 80 their first accident will be their last.
So no million more miles accident free to lower the stats.
That can't be said for the 20 year olds who will have a chance to redeem themselves.
Also, they tend to die off, so the stats will be more concentrated than with the general population. It sounds like propaganda to get older people off the road.

Last edited:
Every old person is an accident waiting to happen. I know I am.

LOL. Oh wait, you're serious?
Of course. The twenty year old will have the opportunity to hit the gas instead of the brake again, and again and again.
the eighty year old will be doing a driving test every two years.

Every old person is an accident waiting to happen. I know I am.

So is every young person, they just don't realize it as easily.

So is every young person, they just don't realize it as easily.

Of course, and a well moderated sense of denial goes a long way to making it in this world.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom