ear plug headphones?! | GTAMotorcycle.com

ear plug headphones?!

zx6rr

I'm going $%&ing deaf between the akra, the wind and my music.

I would like to get some sort of earplug/headphones that block out all the wind/buffeting etc but still allow me to listen to music. Does such a thing exist?

I know sensible folk would just ditch the headphones and pop in some plugs but I don't want to give up listening to Shania Twain and Kenny Rogers Christmas album when I'm shredding the twisties.

If that's not an option, what's the cheapest place to get ear plugs in bulk? I want to save the money and invest in singing lessons to keep me occupied.

Thanks

You can get custom silicone ear plugs with headphones embedded in them.

Shoot me a pm and I'll give you their contact info.

Fit your ear Canada

I started using plugfones about a year ago and swear by them. http://www.plugfones.com/product/dark-blue-foam-style/ I use the simple foam ones. They are basically disposable earplugs with very thin, cone shaped earbuds inside them.

I've mentioned them to a few retailers around the city but as far as I know, no one carries them yet. You can order them online for about $25 to your door in a week or two. Each set comes with an extra set of foam plugs, because they get gross and lose their elasticity after a while.

The sound quality isn't great, specifically the bass. For talk radio they're perfect, music is ok. However, because they block most of the wind and engine noise, you can hear what you want to listen to without cranking things up until your ears bleed. That makes it better than anything else I've tried.

At that price, they are definitely worth trying.

Active noise cancelling earbuds?

I cannot imagine listening to music while riding, as hearing is one sense I use on the road. Foam plugs cut out wind noise and still allow other sounds through. The Akra problem is for another thread.

What you want are IEMs, in-ear monitors... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

+1

Pretty much anything that has goes in the ear canal and has a good seal against the air will greatly reduce the wind noise and give you good audio fidelity without having to crank up the music.

The flanged eartips that come with the Etymotics earphones are great at giving this seal:

220px-InEarMonitors.jpg

these will do what you want

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ulti...&qid=1406564872&sr=1-2&keywords=Ultimate+Ears

designed for musians - been using for years

41N7m2N2RPL.jpg

Buy the foam 400 or 500 Comply tips for them for a quieter ride.
418Bi24RsfL._SL500_SS100_.jpg
they are available for other brands as well
http://www.amazon.com/Comply-Tx-500...5059&sr=1-1&keywords=Ultimate+Ears+comply+500

etymotics are brilliant and started it all but $$.

A thin balaclava like the Oxford superthin keeps them in better and you will have a fresher helmet too ;)

Last edited:
For decent sounding IEM's the 3 main brands are Etymotics, Ultimate Ears and Shure (all have been listed above). For cheap IEM's, everybody and their mother makes them (sony, skullcandy, etc.)

There has been a lot of bastardization of brands lately with giant conglomerates buying companies that at one time sold great products and putting the name on everything.

On a motorbike, my personal preference is no music so I use normal foam earplugs (the ones with the flame on them), I have a set of SE530's that I use occasionally. They are meh, I will probably try etymotics next time.

Try riding 10 hours without any music. Best headphone in ear for the money are Klipsch S4 series one or 2 for droid or Iphone...

Try riding 10 hours without any music. Best headphone in ear for the money are Klipsch S4 series one or 2 for droid or Iphone...

Have you tried the Shure SE215? Very similar price. I can never get earphones to fit my ears correctly.

I went with the Starkey ear monitors. They are custom moulded. They have Triple drivers that give crystal clear highs, deep bass, and tight mids. It sounds like I am wearing my bose headphones. I can still hear people talking and my engine but it greatly reduces the db and the ever so tiresome wind noise. They are a little expensive and start at $250.00 for single driver and $700.00 for the top of the line triple. If you have a good drug plan they will usually cover them, but don't tell them they are for riding.

I got these 30$ sound isolating Sony Earbuds from Superstore. They have active noise cancellation too, but that's kinda garb for wind. They're a bit bulky so they sometimes popoff when taking off my helmet, but they work just as good as plain ear plugs. Don't even have to listen to music! :) Can share pictures if you're interested.

Last edited:
I started using plugfones about a year ago and swear by them. http://www.plugfones.com/product/dark-blue-foam-style/ I use the simple foam ones. They are basically disposable earplugs with very thin, cone shaped earbuds inside them.

I've mentioned them to a few retailers around the city but as far as I know, no one carries them yet. You can order them online for about $25 to your door in a week or two. Each set comes with an extra set of foam plugs, because they get gross and lose their elasticity after a while.

The sound quality isn't great, specifically the bass. For talk radio they're perfect, music is ok. However, because they block most of the wind and engine noise, you can hear what you want to listen to without cranking things up until your ears bleed. That makes it better than anything else I've tried.

At that price, they are definitely worth trying.

do they have a play/pause button on the wire?

Back
Top Bottom