Two very similar bikes..two very different rates. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two very similar bikes..two very different rates.

CafeRay

I'm looking at buying a litre bike, comparing the CB1000R with a Z1000. Standard bikes.

These are very similar bikes, about the same weight, the z1000 even has more power, but the liability insurance rates are 35% higher on the Honda.

What gives? Exactly how do these companies define a super sports bike?, because while the two are similar it looks like the z1000 is classified sports tourer, while the Honda is a supersport.

The letter R.

Call around -- This smells of TD MM. lol

Call around -- This smells of TD MM. lol

Called around, and the rates are higher and equivalent at other companies.

Got a bizarre lie from the Dalton Timmis guy, who claimed that the online quotes from TD-MM were pro-rated to February, and therefore his quote was cheaper.

TD-MM policies are renewed every February, but online quotes stated "per year" are for 12 months.

So it seems it all comes down to who calls it a sport tourer or not, which is just a term arbitrarily assigned, which I assume can then mean arbitrarily changed in the future?

Called around, and the rates are higher and equivalent at other companies.

Got a bizarre lie from the Dalton Timmis guy, who claimed that the online quotes from TD-MM were pro-rated to February, and therefore his quote was cheaper.

TD-MM policies are renewed every February, but online quotes stated "per year" are for 12 months.

So it seems it all comes down to who calls it a sport tourer or not, which is just a term arbitrarily assigned, which I assume can then mean arbitrarily changed in the future?

Too bad -- I know TD MM classified my CBR650F as a supersport, and given the 649cc engine, wanted $200 more than a brand new CBR600RRA. Both Intact and Aviva called it a Sports Tourer (as they should), so I went that route for insurance. Of all the agents/brokers, Dalton Timmis was the cheapest for me.

As for TD and their renewal process, the way it was explained to me is you do pay 1 year, and it just means you have 'credit' at the end of year 1. I think there is an article posted here actually although it can make your head hurt a little. lol

I'm looking at buying a litre bike, comparing the CB1000R with a Z1000. Standard bikes.

These are very similar bikes, about the same weight, the z1000 even has more power, but the liability insurance rates are 35% higher on the Honda.

What gives? Exactly how do these companies define a super sports bike?, because while the two are similar it looks like the z1000 is classified sports tourer, while the Honda is a supersport.

Not surprising, no standardization for motorcycle insurance. Did you get a chance to test ride the BMW S1000R? Looks incredible.... I wonder what the insurance would be like.

Not surprising, no standardization for motorcycle insurance. Did you get a chance to test ride the BMW S1000R? Looks incredible.... I wonder what the insurance would be like.

Did not test, but insurance quotes were crazy, which is why I showed no interest in test rides.

Back
Top Bottom