Got a ticket for wearing a DOT helmet | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got a ticket for wearing a DOT helmet

Oh come'n.... what a waste of time.

Even the novelty helmets will pass DOT easily, are you kidding me?

If I helmet does not have the DOT sticker is because the manufacturer resists to pay for the independent certification test, and has decided to sell the product in the rest of the world. But most likely the helmet would pass. Hell, I think my naked head would pass the DOT.

From what I understand, DOT is strictly voluntary and doesn't involve mandatory independent testing, which means that it doesn't cost anything to slap a DOT sticker on your product and we accept it at face value.

but to be legal and not get a ticket one of the markings has to be on the helmet...

as for the novelty ones, well I would not trust it for actively riding.....

Important Note: These novelty helmets are NOT DOT approved.
Iron Horse Helmets provides motorcycle helmets to the biker community. Among the products offered are novelty helmets. Novelty helmets may seem to afford some protection, please be advised that these helmets ARE NOT Department Of Transportation approved for use on a motorcycle or any other motorized vehicle, on road or off the road. Novelty Helmets are only to be used for novelty or display purposes. Novelty helmet are not intended to be used as or considered to be safety equipment. If you get into an accident and suffer an injury while wearing this novelty helmet, or if you get a ticket for wearing a Non-DOT approved helmet, Iron Horse Helmets assumes no liability whatsoever.

Tried doing a search and couldnt find anything on this. A cop gave me a ticket yesterday because my open face helmet was DOT only, he said it needed to be CSA, Snell and a number of other things for it to be legal...

Doesn't sound like the cop questioned the DOT certifications validity.

Make and model of helmet? It's not a "novelty" helmet is it?

Dont have it here, but don't think it is, it has full padding and liner in it. The novelty ones are just a skull cap. And not sure if it means anything but i bought it a GP bikes, i don't think the sell novelty helmets there??

@Sonic, if it's a legitimate helmet, not some knock off, or whatever, but a proper Helmet and actually is DOT approved, that is good enough

Setup a court date and fight the ticket, I will wager a gentleman's bet that you will win, and the officer will be made the fool, plain and simple....

Let's just say I asked, and if this was presented it would get tossed out, if you really want to try it out and not lose anything, setup a first attendance meeting with a prosecutor, and you will see what they will tell you......

Well what he said was setup a meeting with the prosecutor and bring in a new helmet that has all the safety standards he pointed out in his book and maybe they'll drop it.....

hta reg 610 said:
2. The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the,

(a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;

(b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;

(c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute;

(d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer’s certification of compliance with the standard; or

(e) United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No. 22, “Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Protective Helmets and of Their Visors for Drivers and Passengers of Motor Cycles and Mopeds”, and shall have affixed thereto the required international approval mark. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2; O. Reg. 102/12, s. 1.
any one of those standards is adequate.

go to court. Talk to the prosecutor. show him the reg. show him the helmet.

FYI - DOT is bull ******. The manufacturer does the test, and the manufacturer does the certifying.

CSA used to rate helmets but not anymore. If you have one legally you can use it, but that's just dumb. I think they left it in there in case CSA decides to start rating again.

ECE and SNELL do random checks on the helmets during production. If any of you have done any manufacturing, you'll know the best products are the first ones off the line. Taking helmets at random means the manufacturer can't just submit the first set.

Well what he said was setup a meeting with the prosecutor and bring in a new helmet that has all the safety standards he pointed out in his book and maybe they'll drop it.....

who said this, the COP.....

if so I would have told him to pizz off, and I'll see you in court....

Seems he has no common sense and English is not his first language.....

Bring in any new helmet and none of them have all those standards stamped on them, so I don't know what the heck he is talking about...

maybe next time one of the OPP bike cops are here I should take a picture of their helmets to see how many certs are on those......

and the meeting with a prosecutor, I did that for you already..met with a prosecutor....go and read one of my previous posts....

who said this, the COP.....

if so I would have told him to pizz off, and I'll see you in court....

Seems he has no common sense and English is not his first language.....

Bring in any new helmet and none of them have all those standards stamped on them, so I don't know what the heck he is talking about...

maybe next time one of the OPP bike cops are here I should take a picture of their helmets to see how many certs are on those......

and the meeting with a prosecutor, I did that for you already..met with a prosecutor....go and read one of my previous posts....

Yep, those were his words. The guy was a total idiot, he even pulls out a measuring tape to measure the thickness of the foam padding in the helmet, he says it has to be at least an inch thick, mine fell short of that. He gets the measuring tape and sticks it up the exhaust saying there's no baffles, and it has to be witing so many inches... like wtf? Complained about my brake lights, turn signals, my mirrors, going on about safety this and safety that.... He had me there for 45mins!!! and because of it i got stuck in that sh*it storm last night and got f-ing soaked! He's so woried about safety, yet he held me up when lightening was clearly coming, and it struck down a bunch of times as i was riding home.

Last edited:
Will never be heard by a judge just by a JP who has no formal legal training and "could" be convinced by the cop the ticket is legit then OP would have to file an appeal. Lots of wasted time with no upside for the OP. Just attend the first attendance with a certified helmet, (the same color as the one you were wearing as it will be noted in officer's notes or should be)..lol Then be done with it. Personally I wouldn't trust my brain to that helmet. the rider who hit me was wearing a full face and the side was all scraped to hell as was his visor which came off during collision. But it is your head and face.

I wouldn't even go the prosecutor way, I would ask for a trial and ask that the officer be present

power tripping Cop needs to be put in his place and he should be taught something, best by a judge......

2.The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the, (a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;
(b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;
(c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute;
(d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer’s certification of compliance with the standard; or
(e) United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No. 22, “Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Protective Helmets and of Their Visors for Drivers and Passengers of Motor Cycles and Mopeds”, and shall have affixed thereto the required international approval mark. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2; O. Reg. 102/12, s. 1.

Did everyone miss the last word in section (d)........

Edit: dassify beat me to it.

Back
Top Bottom