Got a ticket for wearing a DOT helmet | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got a ticket for wearing a DOT helmet

lol @ this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^

Laugh all you want but a cop seeing that helmet is going to draw attention whether it is DOT or not. Don't get me wrong I agree the cop was wrong ticketing a DOT helmet. My point is a lot of helmets like that are novelty helmets and it will draw police attention.

After reading all of this, I'm now curious if there is such a helmet that meets all those requirements.

GL OP with this one!

Laugh all you want but a cop seeing that helmet is going to draw attention whether it is DOT or not. Don't get me wrong I agree the cop was wrong ticketing a DOT helmet. My point is a lot of helmets like that are novelty helmets and it will draw police attention.

But it wasn't novelty... and doesn't look that different from the typical Harley uniform.

This charge seems unwarranted and will most likely be dropped. I feel bad for OP having to waste the time to fight such a dumb ticket. Good luck sir.

2. The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the, (a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;
(b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;
(c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute;
(d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer’s certification of compliance with the standard; or

(e) United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No. 22, “Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Protective Helmets and of Their Visors for Drivers and Passengers of Motor Cycles and Mopeds”, and shall have affixed thereto the required international approval mark. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2; O. Reg. 102/12, s. 1.

I think the officer is going after this part - not disputing whether or not the helmet says DOT on the back, but whether there is any corresponding label on the inside that meets the requirements of the U.S. Standard.

We have all heard stories about the DOT stickers being sold separately. How do we know that it's legit unless we look more carefully? As far as I know there is not minimum thickness for an energy-absorbing material on the inside, the officer was likely just measuring so he could describe it in the trial.

My hunch is that if your other equipment was really not up to par, you would have gotten more than one ticket. Best bet is to put off the trial until after 6 months have passed from the date of the traffic stop so those charges can't be laid after the fact.

A Judge won't hear it because it's going to traffic court, not criminal court. Only JP's sit in the Provincial Offences courts. I wouldn't hold your breath on a jury either.

I believe you're an asset member of this forum, sir Bike Cop.

After reading all of this, I'm now curious if there is such a helmet that meets all those requirements.

Given that CSA has withdrawn the only standard that they could have used to judge compliance (and CSA has not been in the motorcycle helmet compliance business for as long as I have had a motorcycle license, and that's a long time) ... there cannot be a helmet that meets all of those requirements.

It's my understanding that the latest Snell standard is closer aligned with ECE 22-05 to the extent that it is now technically possible for a full-face helmet to meet both Snell and ECE 22-05. Knowing how the Euro standards generally work, the BSI standard is likely identical to the ECE standard, or if not, so close as to make no difference. The DOT standard is a joke compared to Snell and ECE. So it is likely possible for a helmet to meet all of the listed standards except CSA. It will have to be a full helmet of some sort, not an open-face.

A little off topic but I am offended by people wearing these Nazi style helmets whether they are DOT legal or not.

German army helmet. That style of helmet was used after well after ww2 by a bunch of countries. The coal scuttle design was used staring it 1916 so its hardly fair to call it a nazi helmet.

The use of them as motorcycle helmets is also not as a glorification to the nazis but as a in your "we won suck it Kesier" as returning service men smuggled them back as trophies.

Last edited:
Given that CSA has withdrawn the only standard that they could have used to judge compliance (and CSA has not been in the motorcycle helmet compliance business for as long as I have had a motorcycle license, and that's a long time) ... there cannot be a helmet that meets all of those requirements.

It's my understanding that the latest Snell standard is closer aligned with ECE 22-05 to the extent that it is now technically possible for a full-face helmet to meet both Snell and ECE 22-05. Knowing how the Euro standards generally work, the BSI standard is likely identical to the ECE standard, or if not, so close as to make no difference. The DOT standard is a joke compared to Snell and ECE. So it is likely possible for a helmet to meet all of the listed standards except CSA. It will have to be a full helmet of some sort, not an open-face.

So, bringing along a copy of the notification indicating that CSA has withdrawn their standard would go a long way to proving that it's impossible to buy a new helmet that meets the listed multiple standards.

You have no idea why he stopped you.

Imo, you are making a target out of your self. Your helmet (although DOT certified) looks like a novelty helmet. You have an aftermarket exhaust. You probably have a fender eliminator and after market turn signals. All of these things bring attention to yourself. Not saying the attention if fair but it is what it is. In a way your are just inviting random stops.

The thing about the helmet regulations are that they are poorly written. The cop could honestly be misinterpreting them. I don't know. He could also be acting like a dick, again I don't know. I do know that if I was a cop I'd pull you over for that helmet.

You have every right in the world to wear whatever legal helmet you choose but just be aware of what it really looks like.

This guy was looking for trouble, that's why he was there, nothing else was going on so lets stop the guy on the bike cause i'm bored. Do ou think i didbn't see him? I was coasting down the street in neutral. Believe me, my bike is no louder than any other sport bike with an exhaust, or any other cruiser/chopper type bike. His first thing was i could hear your bike, ya, like you could hear any other vehicle passing by, the second reason was my helmet, it went down from there.......

Imo, you are making a target out of your self. Your helmet (although DOT certified) looks like a novelty helmet. You have an aftermarket exhaust. You probably have a fender eliminator and after market turn signals. All of these things bring attention to yourself. Not saying the attention if fair but it is what it is. In a way your are just inviting random stops.

The thing about the helmet regulations are that they are poorly written. The cop could honestly be misinterpreting them. I don't know. He could also be acting like a dick, again I don't know. I do know that if I was a cop I'd pull you over for that helmet.

You have every right in the world to wear whatever legal helmet you choose but just be aware of what it really looks like.

This is more likely......^^^^^

My son gets pulled over last Friday, and is handed a speeding ticket, doing 85 in a 80 zone......can you say "acting like a dick" really your going to issue a ticket for 5 over......

OP fight the ticket.........plain and simple.....the cop can't read, has no common sense, and is probably a dick, have it in front of a JP, and have it tossed out.....

If you look at a few of the regs, where there are multiple options presented, you'll see that invariably the ones that have an "and" clause are separated by commas, which the ones with an "or" clause use semicolons. This is the sort of thing that officers need to be able to recognize, when reading the law.

I agree on the rest and it's best not to call additional attention to yourself, though a 3/4 helmet isn't the sort of thing that I've seen many 'novelty' versions of. It's usually beanies.

The semi-colons at the ends of A, B, C and D take the place of the word 'OR', as it is used to qualify the last list item. It is grammatically correct and legally accurate, meaning that at least one of the five listed certifications must be satisfied.

+1

Nothing wrong with the wording, but that "OR" is certainly buried in there and easy to miss.

The bike is completely custom, built from the frame up, registered as no name. What do you suggest, i make it look more factory? That defeats the whole idea doesnt it?

It's what i like, it's my ****ing choice, and is within legal limits, it passed certification and and is 100% insureable, so because it looks a certain way I shouldn't be able to enjoy it?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, part of the price for appearing different is that you are going to occasionally get some unwanted attention.

Me stopped at a traffic light: Blue minivan. Car stopped at the light in next lane: red Mustang. Car behind: Cop. Light turns green. Guess which vehicle gets pulled over.

Same thing. It comes with the territory.

Unfortunately, part of the price for appearing different is that you are going to occasionally get some unwanted attention.

Me stopped at a traffic light: Blue minivan. Car stopped at the light in next lane: red Mustang. Car behind: Cop. Light turns green. Guess which vehicle gets pulled over.

Same thing. It comes with the territory.

missing a very key piece of information....what is the race of the drivers of said vehicles? lol

Rob,

Why not have the and/or explicit in the wording? There should be no having to have a cop interpret the use of specific grammar.

Not sure why you are mentioning a 3/4 helmet as the helmet in question appears to be a Zox Chopper Helmet. The op posted a link to it. It seems to be a classic novelty beanie.

If you look at a few of the regs, where there are multiple options presented, you'll see that invariably the ones that have an "and" clause are separated by commas, which the ones with an "or" clause use semicolons. This is the sort of thing that officers need to be able to recognize, when reading the law.

I agree on the rest and it's best not to call additional attention to yourself, though a 3/4 helmet isn't the sort of thing that I've seen many 'novelty' versions of. It's usually beanies.

I'm not suggesting you do anything. I'm just saying you are making a target of yourself. You might have missed where I said this is not a fair practice.

Have fun with your custom bike, just be prepared to deal with the attention a total custom bike will attract, both positive and negative.

The bike is completely custom, built from the frame up, registered as no name. What do you suggest, i make it look more factory? That defeats the whole idea doesnt it?

It's what i like, it's my ****ing choice, and is within legal limits, it passed certification and and is 100% insureable, so because it looks a certain way I shouldn't be able to enjoy it?

Rob,

Why not have the and/or explicit in the wording? There should be no having to have a cop interpret the use of specific grammar.

Not sure why you are mentioning a 3/4 helmet as the helmet in question appears to be a Zox Chopper Helmet. The op posted a link to it. It seems to be a classic novelty beanie.

No reason why it shouldn't be. but common usage informs how the statute is to be read. As usual with law, it isn't meant for the layman.

Because I didn't see the link, and it was referred to as a 3/4 helmet in text.

*EDIT* Now that I've seen the helmet, after having dug back for the link, admittedly it does look a lot like the novelty beanies. It's obviously a 1/2 helmet, not 3/4, and of the type frequently referred to as "skull bucket"

Last edited:
This as with MOST sections of the HTA are poorly worded which is why there is room for "interpretation". Unfortunately the "interpreting" falls to the traffic officer doing the stops.T

The regs are "conceived" (usually by a bureaucrat), It is then written up and presented to the legislators, (most of whom have NO legal training). They pass it. Then it falls to the street cop to enforce it. MOST of those who write or approve the regs have any form of legal training and as such when they write it up it makes perfect sense to them and seems clear. Often it IS as clear... AS MUD.

I wasn't there so I can't say if the cop merely misinterpreted it or he was being a dick. NO one here including the OP knows that for sure, as no one knows what was in his mind at the time.

OP Gatekeeper keeps advising you to take this "in front of a JP" I guess he THINKS the cop will get reprimanded, (NOT going to happen), I would HIGHLY recommend you get prepared with some of the excellent suggestions presented to you here and take the certificates etc to first attendance and have the crown deal with it, (if your fully prepared they will dismiss it there). Going in front of a JP is at best a crap shoot. As I and rob have both said it is possible the cop will convince the JP of the reg and you will be convicted. Why risk a conviction?

Gatekeeper why not get the same helmet and stop next time you see a cop tell him you want to "test" the validity of the law and ask him to write you a ticket, then take it to court. Feel free to post back your results.

As a n ex copper I have seen my share of intelligent well read JP's and then I have had the pleasure of meeting some who couldn't find their a ss with both hands..lmao. Not worth spinning the wheel to see which one the OP will get when it will be dealt with effectively at first attendance.

Last edited:
Going to complain to his Sgt will not result in much, (but it could lead to additional charges). I have been there at best Sgt will say "what were you thinking?" while they laugh over it..
This is why I hate cops - Yea let's laugh over it, not like the person had to most likely lose work time to take a trip to the court to have it dismissed, let's joke about it.

Back
Top Bottom