Got a ticket for wearing a DOT helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got a ticket for wearing a DOT helmet

SONIC

Tried doing a search and couldnt find anything on this. A cop gave me a ticket yesterday because my open face helmet was DOT only, he said it needed to be CSA, Snell and a number of other things for it to be legal. Can't remember the others, he showed me the book, and they indicated A, B, C, D, E, F, in each section it had some kind of safety standard, but didn't read if you needed one of these or all.

This is the first im hearing of this, my understanding is you just need one of these certifications for your helmet to be legal, not all of them. This guy was a total dick, like he was some kind of motorcycle safety cop, he even pulls out a measuring tape to measure the thickness of the padding of the helmet, if i had baffles in my exhaust, sticks the tape up the exahust, he didn't think my brake lights were safe, signals weren't visible and on and on. This guy had me on the side of the road for 45mins, gives me a ticket for the helmet and 2 warnings for noise and for my brake lights.

Dot is all you need, you just ran into an ignorant cop. This kind of thing is what makes people hate the police and the cop in question should be reprimanded for this crap. Call the station with his info and also contact the newspapers this crap should no be allowed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What section of the HTA did he charge you under? If I'm reading the act properly, CSA sticker is a requirement for bicycle helmets and DOT is all that is required for a motorcycle helmet.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900610_e.htm

Sounds like he interpreted Section 2 as ALL requirements needed for a helmet rather that just one.

Last edited:
The story could involve a lot of creative license or the possibility of a "DOT" helmet :cool:

What section of the HTA did he charge you under? If I'm reading the act properly, CSA sticker is a requirement for bicycle helmets and DOT is all that is required for a motorcycle helmet.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900610_e.htm

Sounds like he interpreted Section 2 as ALL requirements needed for a helmet rather that just one.

Yep, this is the section he referred to in his magical safety book. It's ambiguous.... section 2 refers to section 1, so the list in section 2 applies to a motorcycle or bicycle, the question is does the helmet have to be A-E or just one of those things?? How do you know which one of those applies to a motorcycle or bicyle helmet?

I can't see how all would apply......

2. The helmet referred to in section 1 shall conform to the requirements of the, (a) Canadian Standards Association Standard D230 Safety Helmets for Motorcycle Riders and shall bear the monogram of the Canadian Standards Association Testing Laboratories;
(b) Snell Memorial Foundation and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the Snell Memorial Foundation;
(c) British Standards Institute and shall have affixed thereto the certificate of the British Standards Institute;
(d) United States of America Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 and shall bear the symbol DOT constituting the manufacturer’s certification of compliance with the standard; or
(e) United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No. 22, “Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Protective Helmets and of Their Visors for Drivers and Passengers of Motor Cycles and Mopeds”, and shall have affixed thereto the required international approval mark. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 2; O. Reg. 102/12, s. 1.

if we are in Ontario, how can C or E apply.....and be a requirement....

If you think you're right, then take it to court.

Many of the places that sell novelty helmets, also sell DOT stickers.

I haven't seen your helmet, so there's no way for me to judge.

Yes let's see a pic of the helmet. MOST helmets I have seen have the DOT sticker not a "stamp" Could be a cheap chinese knockoff> Let us know more details of the helmet.

I can't see how all would apply......

if we are in Ontario, how can C or E apply.....and be a requirement....

E) is ECE I believe.

@Sonic, if it's a legitimate helmet, not some knock off, or whatever, but a proper Helmet and actually is DOT approved, that is good enough

Setup a court date and fight the ticket, I will wager a gentleman's bet that you will win, and the officer will be made the fool, plain and simple....

Let's just say I asked, and if this was presented it would get tossed out, if you really want to try it out and not lose anything, setup a first attendance meeting with a prosecutor, and you will see what they will tell you......

Back
Top Bottom