Insurance- The German Problem ZX-10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance- The German Problem ZX-10

Marco ZX-10

Hi guys!

This is my first post. My neighbour recommended this forum and so far I like it a lot.
Spending hours and hours just reading threads.

But here is my little problem:

I am living in Guelph, Ontario and just bought a motorcycle. Apparently my case is somewhat of a special case. Here my details:

Bike: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10
Birthday: 16.12.1989 (24 years old)

I am originally from Germany and live in Canada since 2,5 years. So far it was okay for me to keep my international (german) drivers license because I was able to insure my cars when I was living in Quebec and British Columbia. Apparently this is different in Ontario.
It is not a problem at all to change my license to an Ontario license and all my classes can be transfered without a problem. I would have the highest M class (M2 I assume) Germany and Canada have an agreement that allows this.

I have the license since January 2009. I also have a certified letter (insurance record in english) from my German insurance company that proves 4 years of insurance without an accident or claim.

I just want to ride my bike as long as the summer allows it and not go bankrupt because of my insurance. So far the cheapest quote I got was $11.000 a year? Who could ever possibly afford that?

What are your thoughts on that?

Cheers

keep trying to find a company that will honour the European history of previous insurance.

Good luck with it

BB

Yea we came from the UK in 2001. By dad had drove for 20 years. But as far as insurance concerns you will have to start at the bottom. In 5 years your insurance should be back at the normative rate. Get all you licenses before hand

Same for me when I came over at age 28. Had to start from fresh. I also had 90 days to get my license and had to do the written and road test.
Back in those days there was no G1-G2-G.

Hi guys!

This is my first post. My neighbour recommended this forum and so far I like it a lot.
Spending hours and hours just reading threads.

But here is my little problem:

I am living in Guelph, Ontario and just bought a motorcycle. Apparently my case is somewhat of a special case. Here my details:

Bike: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10
Birthday: 16.12.1989 (24 years old)

I am originally from Germany and live in Canada since 2,5 years. So far it was okay for me to keep my international (german) drivers license because I was able to insure my cars when I was living in Quebec and British Columbia. Apparently this is different in Ontario.
It is not a problem at all to change my license to an Ontario license and all my classes can be transfered without a problem. I would have the highest M class (M2 I assume) Germany and Canada have an agreement that allows this.

I have the license since January 2009. I also have a certified letter (insurance record in english) from my German insurance company that proves 4 years of insurance without an accident or claim.

I just want to ride my bike as long as the summer allows it and not go bankrupt because of my insurance. So far the cheapest quote I got was $11.000 a year? Who could ever possibly afford that?

What are your thoughts on that?

Cheers

Highest M class is an M license. It goes M1, M2 and then M.

I think the problem is your age+1000cc+lack of history. The easy fix is to ride under 600cc for a few years - just suck up your pride and ride a lower cc until you are older and have some history. And keep shopping for insurance.

And keep shopping for insurance.

He can shop all he wants, no one is going to insure a 24 year old on a ZX10 with no history. That bike is known as the killer bike in insurance circles.

When you move to the US, your history is not valid, when you move back after a few years, also not valid, and the previous history? ignored.
But, if you get any moving violations -they stay on your driving record, and are used by insurance to boost premiums.

It's not fair, welcome to Ontario.

They make more money off you if they start you from the bottom therefore they will start you from the bottom.

First world greed

@MarcoZX-10 Since you're new around here - a couple of points.

- Insurance in Ontario is one of the highest (if not the highest) in Canada - especially for motorcycles.

- Due to the accident/incident rate on the ZX-10, it's one of the highest bikes to insure.

- Your age (less than 30) makes a big difference in the quote.

- No prior insurance coverage in Ontario

The insurance company probably quoted you so high so you would decline their services. FYI, I started on a 600cc sports bike when I was 27 and my insurance was ~ $1600 from State Farm. I also had 10 years driving experience with 0 accidents and 0 tickets on my license at the time.

Good luck. My personal advice would be to start with a smaller bike (for insurance history) or just stick to the racetrack.

Back
Top Bottom