Ride Report - The Pennsylvania Loop | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride Report - The Pennsylvania Loop

I used to use this quite a bit until a newer version of Google maps Api 'broke' it and I scrambled to find gpsbabel which gpsvisualizer is a frontend for, but the newest google maps won't allow you to download a kml file, so I may have to route the old fashioned way.

The new google won't let u do a lot of things. The old google is still there and I still use it. You can still drag the route to where ever you want and save it and also download the KLM file to change over to GPX. When you go into google maps - there is a ? mark at the bottom right of the page - click it once - it will bring up a page and you click on ( Return to classic Google Maps ) it will bring another page up and you do the same thing ( Return to classic Google Maps ) Once you do that you are on the old google maps system and it is way easier to work with.

I did the 666 at the very end of the season last year and it was so torn up it was a waste of time riding it. Holes and bumps every few feet. So haven't bothered to do it this year.

I see that you left out 2 very nice roads that you could have come back on instead of back tracking - When you come back down Hyner mountain you continue up that road (which is very twisty and curvy ) till u hit I think it is 44 or 144 - turn left and ride for a few hours of twists and turns and hills - back towards Coudersport then head a bit north still on the 44 up to Oleans. No back tracking at all. Next time u are down there you have to try it out - Fab road.

Last edited:
I did the 666 at the very end of the season last year and it was so torn up it was a waste of time riding it. Holes and bumps every few feet. So haven't bothered to do it this year.

It's not bad now, with the exception of the minor off-roading scofflaw issue in that one area.

I see that you left out 2 very nice roads that you could have come back on instead of back tracking - When you come back down Hyner mountain you continue up that road (which is very twisty and curvy ) till u hit I think it is 44 or 144 - turn left and ride for a few hours of twists and turns and hills - back towards Coudersport then head a bit north still on the 44 up to Oleans. No back tracking at all. Next time u are down there you have to try it out - Fab road.

We thought about that but partway up 144 when we had a rest stop, there was a desire expressed to take the most direct route to the hotel at that point, in view of the time of day, number of hours of daylight remaining, and the condition of various riders butts, necks, and wrists ... we even contemplated skipping Hyner but I'm glad we didn't. GPS said 120 - 146 was the most direct route, so that's what we did. Having to backtrack through a scenic and interesting area isn't necessarily a terrible thing to do, and this way we have 44 saved up for next time ...

The new google won't let u do a lot of things. The old google is still there and I still use it. You can still drag the route to where ever you want and save it and also download the KLM file to change over to GPX. When you go into google maps - there is a ? mark at the bottom right of the page - click it once - it will bring up a page and you click on ( Return to classic Google Maps ) it will bring another page up and you do the same thing ( Return to classic Google Maps ) Once you do that you are on the old google maps system and it is way easier to work with.

I know that road hooks up with 44/144, but the guys were baked and wanted to make best time to the hotel. Brian rode the entire day on a stock saddle in full leathers and was done. I was just in cruising mode myself, and let them make the call.

I'm using "Classic Maps" until they make that go away and force every one to drink 'New Coke'. They've broken so many wonderful apps since they came out with smartphone and tablet operating systems. As if someone from Microsoft were in charge over there and said 'Make it look good'.

I'm sorry to say PA 666 has been like this for over a month...

Travel Advisory

26/06/2014

Portion of Route 666 Closed in Forest County

Oil City – Route 666 is closed from Kiffer Hill Road to Yellow Hammer Road in Hickory Township, Forest County, due to flooding.
The road will reopen once high water recedes.
PennDOT reminds motorists not to drive through standing water on roads, and allow additional time for travel.

26 August 2014 09:56

Route 666 in Forest County has been closed to through traffic between Branch Ridge Road and Mayburg Road in Kingsley Township due to flood damage.

Two bridges were undermined and a 60-inch pipe was washed out on Route 666 inForest County in flooding that occurred Friday, June 13. One bridge, over Porcupine Run in Howe Township, has been opened with the installation of a temporary bridge. Traffic is controlled with stop signs. The bridge over Bobbs Creek, located west of Mayburg in Kingsley Township, remains closed. The repair work was bid on Aug. 14 and the bid was awarded to Clearwater Construction of Mercer, Pa. with a contractor cost of $1,234,000. Clearwater Construction began the roadwork Aug.25. The road is expected to reopened by the end of November.

P.S. I hate the new Google Maps. I use the old one.

ain't that the truth - talk about a downgrade in useability.....the only thing I do like is the streetview if your web connection is fast.

144 is a lovely bit of road.

How many kilometres did you do round trip? Ours was just about 1400km for the weekend, although our day three was really only a straight ride home.

yep 144 is a favourite of mine.

hey, how did you get those shouts behind you?? Just aimed a camera and hoped??

yep 144 is a favourite of mine.

hey, how did you get those shouts behind you?? Just aimed a camera and hoped??
Yep. It is in burst mode and I take the best shot of the group and crop out my topcase.

This one of my fav "dumb luck" photos from a PA trip

Guy on the Harley was a classic wise guy .....pointy boots n all.....mafia all the way. We put him at the back cuz of the noise.

I have not been shooting much handheld while riding as the camera GX1 is not as easy to use - more lazy than anything tho.

Not bad... on a curve at about 100kph - came out okay - good sense of speed from the blurred rode....Burgman very little vibration in the mirrors.

Nice. I had my go pro mounted when I was down there last. Did take a few still shots that came out great . wish I took more.. Too busy enjoying the ride..

I love the zzr12 and the cbr125 on the same road trip, just goes to show how versatile those little bikes are! Thanks for the write up, I wonder what it would be like down there in early October? hmmmm.....

Also, just finished reading the whole report on your blog...LOOK AT THAT STEAK!!!

Back
Top Bottom