Where to buy DIY accessory electrics in Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to buy DIY accessory electrics in Toronto?

macro

So I want to make a little accessory relay/distribution block as per this article on canyonchasers. I went to Active Surplus on queen today and they didn't really have much of what I needed, any other suggestions?

Relay is readily available from Canadian Tire, just ask them for a five pin relay, should be in the trailer acc's dept. Distribution blocks can be found at Princess Auto or The Source. When I did mine, I used a six option fuse box from Princess Auto, once again in the trailer acc's dept.

With the fuse box, did you still have to use a jumper? I guess so eh? And with the relay, the 87a pin is redundant, correct? They had distribution blocks at Active but they were huge and they only had wire for jumpers, I would like to use something like they have in the article to keep it tidy.

With the fuse box, did you still have to use a jumper? I guess so eh? And with the relay, the 87a pin is redundant, correct? They had distribution blocks at Active but they were huge and they only had wire for jumpers, I would like to use something like they have in the article to keep it tidy.

The fuse box is pre jumped, the dist. strip has to be jumped.

This is how I had it setup on my old FZ6

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Why do you need the fuse block as well as the distribution block? Wouldn't a fuse on your main power to the relay serve the same purpose?

Why do you need the fuse block as well as the distribution block? Wouldn't a fuse on your main power to the relay serve the same purpose?

It would, but for whatever unnecessary reason I like each circuit to be separately fused.

But yes, for simplicity's sake, a single fuse at the battery would work just fine.

Beauty, thanks guys! Hopefully I can get to PA this week.

Also, Anyone have any good instruction or threads/forums they know of to give some insight into powering my tank bag? Disconnects that are weatherproof etc.

How about running an sae extension cable from your battery tender or heated gear.

When I rode in Germany I found this to be an ideal setup, temporary then, but it worked out so well I wired up my tank bag and top case using this method.

They have sae compatible USB chargers and so much more on eBay.

How about running an sae extension cable from your battery tender or heated gear.

When I rode in Germany I found this to be an ideal setup, temporary then, but it worked out so well I wired up my tank bag and top case using this method.

They have sae compatible USB chargers and so much more on eBay.

Active Surplus also has SAE plugs (near the stereo stuff if I remember correctly). I hooked my USB charger up this way. It's easy to get into the tail and plug in the battery tender, then when I'm done the tender comes off and the USB charger plugs back in.

And Princess Auto is awesome. They have relays, fuse blocks, and distributors for pretty cheap.

Awesome info again, thanks all! I found everything but the distribution block and jumpers at PA. I did see the above mentioned fuse blocks but that isn't strictly necessary for the simple little set up I'm going, I'll swing by the Source this week and get the rest.

Picked up the rest of what I needed from Sayal and installed it last weekend. Works like a charm! Only have the grips on it for now, but this way I don't have to remember to turn them off.

Tomorrow I'll try and grab an SAE socket so I can charge the phone while riding.

The Source is grossly overpriced. Look at Sayal Electronics or A1 Electronics Parts for your needs. A1 is a really neat place to visit just for the surplus goods.

Ain't that the frikkin truth! I paid $5 for two tiny glass fuses that are worth maybe a quarter each. Sadly, the Source is often the only convenient place to go for electronic bits.

Nice job OP! I might build one myself if I add more electronic accessories to the bike

Thanks to you handy folks I'm all done! Power to the grips and a powered tank bag! It was dead easy to do, I'm a plumber, so wiring is NOT my strength but it was simple AND I finally learned how to solder wire, huzzah! Canyonchasers is a handy place.
IMG_7293 by TheMacrobius, on Flickr
Magic!!
IMG_7297 by TheMacrobius, on Flickr
A crappy shot of everything. I tie wrapped the block to the relay wiring and velcro-ed that down. It was the only way I could figure to stop everything from jiggling around too much.
IMG_7299 by TheMacrobius, on Flickr
Here's what it looks like into the bag. At the bars there's a 2 prong (SAE?) plug.

One question, do I need to worry about keeping the plug protected from rain? I cannibalized another plug, cut the wires flush and covered the end in Shoe Goo to turn it into a sort of weather proof cover just to be safe. Figured it couldn't hurt!

Back
Top Bottom