Why is there no 250CC class club type races in Ontario? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why is there no 250CC class club type races in Ontario?

sid_for_speed

There is a viable market for it! Moto3 got it right!

I think most upgrades from 250 to SS are due to the fact that very little can be done on the street with a 250, other than learn on it, go around the block and stuff. People generally get the idea of upgrading when they get "bored" or "think" they have surpassed the limits of the motorcycle.

I was on this boat untill a very distinguished person showed me what was possible on this bike. I think promotion of this CC class racing should be encouraged. It will certainly draw out novice riders who think it's time to upgrade...It'll certainly get more people to the track, certainly get that much more customers to the doors of vendors, etc...

Is there no way one can have a 250Cc class type race in Ontario?

The 250cc 4 strokes that we can get our hands on are nowhere near the performance of Moto3 bikes. Those bikes are 50hp and about 175lbs. That's why Moto3 is so exciting. If they were on CBR250R's (half the power and twice the weight) on those big tracks the racing wouldn't be nearly as good due to lack of speed. I think your post has two topics since Moto3 vs what we can get is night and day.

It's a good question, why is there a CBR250R class at the nationals but not in regional racing, on tracks that better suit the smaller bikes. Racer5 school uses 125's and 250's. SOAR shows a NuSpeed class sponsored by Racer5 but there aren't any points shown so I don't know if it happens...

I can't just jump from riding street 250CC bike to going nationals racing 250 CC bikes...there should be a link...

I was browing the SOAR pictures (inaugral race) and from what I see there's like 8 bikes on the grid...

if the SS races only showcase a small number of bikes, what chance do 250s have?

I refuse to beleive that my 300 is just a bike I can use to do local routes, meet up at timmies and then dumped for a bigger bike because - there is no other option-

There is a viable market for it! Moto3 got it right!

I think most upgrades from 250 to SS are due to the fact that very little can be done on the street with a 250, other than learn on it, go around the block and stuff. People generally get the idea of upgrading when they get "bored" or "think" they have surpassed the limits of the motorcycle.

I was on this boat untill a very distinguished person showed me what was possible on this bike. I think promotion of this CC class racing should be encouraged. It will certainly draw out novice riders who think it's time to upgrade...It'll certainly get more people to the track, certainly get that much more customers to the doors of vendors, etc...

Is there no way one can have a 250Cc class type race in Ontario?
Absolutely there is

Look under Endurance GTL - Bunch of teams riding 125's and 250's - I have done a couple of rounds on a 250 and it is a lot of fun

http://www.soaracing.ca/html/results.html

Like Dave said, there is NuSpeed and even if it isn't a point gathering class they do still race for positions

Get a couple of guys, get your SOAR licenses and come ride endurance, 3 hrs non stop of fun and plenty of track time competing against other riders

Both regional series plus the National offer classes to race a 250.

Both RACE and I believe SOAR have a class for the 250. Most people that start racing are older and already have a bike and don't want to go down to a 250 even though there's lots to be learned on the smaller bike.

If I decide to get my son into road racing he'll start on a 125/250.

Who wants to spend 2k to get their 250 race ready and join in the fun?

wow I type slow.

As zx600 mentioned we endurance race a 250cc with a 16 yr old kid. Bike doesn't eat tires,sips fuel gotta be the cheapest bang for your buck out there to ride. They are a great tool to learn for riders starting out to do track/race.

Go do a racer 5 school get your license and come racing.

Both SOAR and RACE have a 250cc class. The rules for these classes pre-date all the 250cc manufacturers bumping to 300cc... "bigger is better" ya know ...

RACE has a Lightweight Sportsman class. I used to run my FZR400 in that class. The 250s and 300s are all eligible.

Although your particular bike is not eligible (too new) ... VRRA's Period 4 Formula 3 (small displacement, up to model year 1989) class is one of the bigger grids in that series.

I've stayed with my 400cc bike because I can't ride with Jody Christie and Mitch Card (black numbers) and although I could probably make the case for going back to amateur/novice if I were to jump to 600cc, I want no part of Amateur/Novice 600 at my age ...

Yeah Race and VRRA have 125 and 250 classes BUT those classes are for GP bikes.
On the right track they are as fast as the 600 SS classes, a modern "street" 250 would be smoked.

... and 250 GP bikes DO NOT sip fuel. They drink EXPENSIVE fuel like a sailor on shore leave... oh AND $20/qt oil too.

Just to clarify, I was speaking of RACE's 250 production class, not 250 Grand Prix. Totally different ball game ...

Yeah Race and VRRA have 125 and 250 classes BUT those classes are for GP bikes.
On the right track they are as fast as the 600 SS classes, a modern "street" 250 would be smoked.

... and 250 GP bikes DO NOT sip fuel. They drink EXPENSIVE fuel like a sailor on shore leave... oh AND $20/qt oil too.

They also have 250cc four stroke non GP bike class.

We have places for 250s to ride. Problem is few do. If we were to see an influx of small bikes they would get a class. I wont do a "spec" class without manufacturer support. I have spoken with Kawi a few years ago about just this and they have NO interest. As for Honda the 125 series was great when they supported it. Bikes were cheap, parts were cheap and Honda transported bikes to and from and had mechanics and parts on hand. It was bring your gear and come racing for minimum outlay. The 250 series has been/is a miserable failure. Bikes are nearly same as a big bike to support. Honda doesnt offer cheap parts, transport and mechanics and in turn very poor turnouts. Last season they plunked journalists on Honda owned bikes no doubt in hopes they would hype it and all that happened is writers with bigger egos than skills crashed out and hurt one of the kids actually paying for a ride.
I would love to see a starter class but all "they should" comments means ME and JEAN paying for the experiment. A class/tracktime and setup costs real money and at the moment I just dont see it flying well enough to be self supporting. Maybe you all can bring your bikes out compete in the classes that are already in place and when/if the numbers warrant it there can be a Superbike Lite class.

So now that we have established that both regional series offer a class that suits a 250, I assume we'll have big grids full of 250s in the upcoming rounds?? Since there is so much demand!

So now that we have established that both regional series offer a class that suits a 250, I assume we'll have big grids full of 250s in the upcoming rounds?? Since there is so much demand!

No, riding on the track is no fun and competing isn't for them.

Do my part.

Just had the biggest grid I have ever seen of 21 bikes launch at once at Shube NS. It is the most popular class of racing at present.

Do my part.

Just had the biggest grid I have ever seen of 21 bikes launch at once at Shube NS. It is the most popular class of racing at present.

That's awesome! Hopefully that means there's 21 riders coming up into the bigger bikes one day.

That's awesome! Hopefully that means there's 21 riders coming up into the bigger bikes one day.

They were 14 to 62 years old. 2 sets of faher/son

Lots and lots of new racers

Lots of older racers who still want to race in their 30s and 40s

Its too bad guys like you that love to race missed out on the hayday in canada. In the late 80s there was over 200 entries in the national am600 alone. Finish in the top 7 on saturdays heat race or your weekend was done. There was only prize money for the top 3 in the finals, but it was enough cash that I didn't have to work, just race.
And all racers had friends and family with them so 50,000 spectators was not uncommon. And the long track at shanny was new and repaved every couple years. There wasn't enough time in the day to red flag races. So we kept racing even when the ambulance was on the track. Beware of waving white flag. lol

It's too bad there's so few people that want to race. I don't get it, it's easily the most fun you can have with your pants on. All these people chasing lap times just need to to ONE race weekend to drop a few seconds.

I keep hearing ring about the good ol days and wish they'd come back.

Back
Top Bottom