Front Fork Alignment - What could be the issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front Fork Alignment - What could be the issue

JAMUS

Post Accident: I picked up my bike today from GP bikes after a month of it being worked on. I told them and the insurance company that there could be possible damage to the front fork as part of my report. Picking it up today, I was assured that it drives true and all is well from service department. The Fact is, it's not. Visually you can see it's off, and handling wise - it's rough.

The story: Once i started up my bike, I had to put gas in the tank as I had 0 km on my gauge. When riding, I noticed my handle bars are still off from being straight and the bike wants to go in it's own direction. I turned back around and they had a tech taking it for a spin. He said it drives true but it might be off a little and that he wouldn't be sure what to do with it. Since they were closing and I'm a long way home from Whitby, I took the bike home hoping it would straight out after a few bumps. Well almost 100kms later, it's not. There is a vibration coming from the front end at highway speeds. Also, I nearly shat myself going from the 427 south ramp on the 401 as the bike didn't want to turn into the turn. I'm going back tomorrow morning to drop the bike back off and tell them to again take a look.

The Question: I want my front forks replaced as well as my triple clamp with the whole front end disassembled for inspection. Is this too much to ask? What do you think could be damaged that's causing my alignment to be off?

The tech said he straighten the front forks and aligned them, which to some degree it somewhat rides straight but it's not how it was prior to the accident. Cornering seems unbalanced and there is a vibration coming up from through the handlebars. The bike was smooth and responsive before. Now it's complete **** in comparison.

The Vent: I will not settle for a brand new bike being sub par because some jackass hit it. I expect it to be 100% and I expect GP to do everything in their capacity to make that happen. If their technicians think this is acceptable in it's condition, it's a low standard and they should find the suitable person to repair it back to factory condition. I don't care if they have to fly someone in from the UK to personally do it, I want that bike in the condition it was prior to this mess.

Forks can be knocked askew without really being damaged. The upper and lower triple clamps can be knocked out of alignment (or be reassembled that way) and if that's all it is, it's relatively easy to fix.

However, if that was caused by an impact/collision it would be unusual for there to not be at least cosmetic damage, which is still enough to warrant replacement in an insurance claim. If the forks were *bent* (not necessarily easily to spot visually) they are not repairable and the inner fork tubes would need to be replaced, at minimum. And of course, there are a plethora of other possible causes of spooky handling (knackered steering bearings, frame damage, etc)

Sometimes, especially with insurance cases, you need to push to get what you want to be satisfied. The mechanic could think they're doing you a favor, trying to stay below the threshold for getting the bike written off. Maybe they didn't test ride it, or had no idea what normal operation is for that bike.

Maybe they didn't test ride it, or had no idea what normal operation is for that bike.

Thanks Twisted Kestrel.

The mechanic did test ride it and said it was fine and they didn't order parts. Then when I picked it up, it will still the same issue. I had the tech on shift ride it again and he said it seems to ride straight but he noticed it was a little off and wasn't sure how much better he could do.

I'm going back to GP bikes today to have them try again for the supposed 3rd time. If it cannot be figured out, then I'm going to push for it to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom