Large purchases from the states side... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Large purchases from the states side...

Bweixz

Site Supporter
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased a full-exhaust from the states? How much did customs ding you by?

This is what I'm looking to buy from http://www.ninja650shop.com/

2012 - 2014 Ninja 650 Sport Bars - $189.99
Yoshimura RS-4 Stainless/Stainless Full System - 2012+ Ninja 650 - $543.56
Oil Filter - $12.99

USPS Shipping - $39

Total: $785.54

Will it still be the cheaper alternative to purchasing from a Canadian store at the end? If it isn't ... i'll have to go with (
http://www.baysideperformance.ca/12-13-kawasaki-ninja-650r-yoshimura-rs4-stainless-full-system)

Any input will is highly appreciated - thank you!

You'll most likely have to pay the tax on it. I cross the Windsor/Michigan border all the time. I've never had to pay any duties yet.

Duty via USPS/Canada Post is a crap shoot.

I've bought >$1000 items and not been taxed a single cent, and then the next week dinged on a $50 item.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Just work the duty into your purchase calculations (HST + whatever Canada Post charges to collect the fee - $5-$8) and if you don't get charged at delivery, then consider it a mini-lottery winning.

Sorry I just realized you're getting it shipped. Not sure what I was thinking. Don't use UPS. You'll get ridiculous brokerage fees. USPS/Canada Post seems to be the best option.

Alright so I guess it's time to roll the dice and move forward with this purchase...thank you for the input!

I keep getting raped by customs on U.S. purchases. Wouldn't buy from the U.s. if I did not have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support our local shops, keep your money here.

If you really want to save your money, you're going to want to ship it to the states.

read THIS

Support our local shops, keep your money here.

You could do that also. Personally, I would rather support my wallet.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased a full-exhaust from the states? How much did customs ding you by?

This is what I'm looking to buy from http://www.ninja650shop.com/

2012 - 2014 Ninja 650 Sport Bars - $189.99
Yoshimura RS-4 Stainless/Stainless Full System - 2012+ Ninja 650 - $543.56
Oil Filter - $12.99

USPS Shipping - $39

Total: $785.54

Will it still be the cheaper alternative to purchasing from a Canadian store at the end? If it isn't ... i'll have to go with (
http://www.baysideperformance.ca/12-13-kawasaki-ninja-650r-yoshimura-rs4-stainless-full-system)

Any input will is highly appreciated - thank you!

Lets see 549 converted to cad is about 600 +40 for shipping and probably another 50 in brokerage fees + taxes. Plus whatever state tax from where ever you purchase it from.
Now what if you're missing a part, or something doesn't fit like it should? Do you think the company will eat up the shipping/duties for you?

The exact same exhaust at bluestreakracing.ca is 697 + free shipping, and if there are problems its a local vendor and a site sponsor.

If you really want to save your money, you're going to want to ship it to the states.

read THIS

You could do that also. Personally, I would rather support my wallet.

Keep supporting your wallet, soon people wont have any money to buy **** from the us/china if all the jobs disappear

I see hmm then I guess I am better off purchasing the exhaust from CA side. Unfortunately the 2012 - 2014 Ninja 650 Sport Bar is only found US side so I'll get dinged on that forsure so my thoughts were might as well make the most of it.

I'm all down for supporting local businesses..the moment I get out of being a broke student :D

Sorry I just realized you're getting it shipped. Not sure what I was thinking. Don't use UPS. You'll get ridiculous brokerage fees. USPS/Canada Post seems to be the best option.

Ups is a ripoff, they charge 12% of the value for brokerage.

http://www.cbiusa.com a few friends I know used this service to order larger parts that the vendor was not able to ship to Canada. Include the gas into overall price and see if you still a save a few hundred on the parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lets see 549 converted to cad is about 600 +40 for shipping and probably another 50 in brokerage fees + taxes. Plus whatever state tax from where ever you purchase it from.
Now what if you're missing a part, or something doesn't fit like it should? Do you think the company will eat up the shipping/duties for you?

The exact same exhaust at bluestreakracing.ca is 697 + free shipping, and if there are problems its a local vendor and a site sponsor.

Keep supporting your wallet, soon people wont have any money to buy **** from the us/china if all the jobs disappear

I think the same was said for domestic auto industry? What do you drive?

Retail is dying whether you like it or not.
The typical retailer expects a 100% or higher markup on items. This means on a $200 pair of gloves, the person who makes the most profit, by far, is the guy who took it off a truck and handed it you. But before that, a distributor who arranged exclusive rights to Canada, who then jacked up the cost 20-30% for doing literally nothing, except maybe getting US online retailers to stop shipping to Canada.

These are all Asian goods anyway. I would like to have the option of a local retailer, but not when it means 25% higher costs for no added value. So, I would support local, if local supported me.

A quick perusal suggests this thread is all bad news by disappointed and/or angry bikers. So everything is on track.

Back
Top Bottom