How to register a bike without an ownership? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to register a bike without an ownership?

GadgetGuy

Hi,

I just purchased an old bike (1982 Kawasaki) for a silly price.

It was a roachy barn find that I initially bought for parts, but when I got it home and cleaned it up a bit, the darn thing fired right up.

It needs work, but if I can get it legally on the road I may put the effort into it and fix it up to ride.

The seller gave me a bill of sale with the VIN, he marked it as "AS-IS - Parts only" because he did not have the ownership as it has been in his barn for over 10 years and lost track of it.

What can I do to head over to the MTO and get it registered into my name?

I did call the police and it is not coming up as stolen in their system.

Thanks,

D.

Have him write you a letter stating he is the original owner or get a notary or have a new one printed up via ServiceOntario if its already been registered.

You just need to claim a missing ownership, and they will work with the VIN.
If there are any liens or claims against that bike, this is when you find out.

I once bought a bike from registered owner but he lost the ownership. I had him right down his driver's license number on the bill of sale to prove I bought the bike from him. No need for affidavit and I got the bike transferred no problems.

Thanks everyone,

FWIW, I just came back from the MTO... here is what they are making me do (Which I don't have a problem with)

1) Complete a legal Affidavit with certain information they need to see.
- I state that I am the legal owner of the bike (based on statements made in the rest of the affidavit)
- Where and when I purchased the bike
- How much I paid for the bike
- Seller did not provide ownership as they did not have it
- I contacted authorities checking the VIN
- I tried to contact previous owner (guy the seller got it from) and ask for ownership
- State any colour changes to the bike
- State my age and my info
- Declare that my statement is true

2) Have it signed by a lawyer or notary (usually costs around $30 is what they said)

3) Get an appraisal on the bike - I will look into this further but she wasn't 100% sure if I needed it for this bike. She said to try first without once I have the affidavit.

4) Bring all the above to the MTO, pay the fee and all done.

Then I will start working on the bike, get a safety, and plate it up!

I just want to have it in my name and registered before I start putting time and effort into it.

D.

Back
Top Bottom