Cayuga TMP July 24, Reddawn Open Track Day | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cayuga TMP July 24, Reddawn Open Track Day

Rossi86

Site Supporter
What a day, I am beat! Wore the rear tire down to the chords, went through 18 liters fuel in the tank, ran out of 20 liters of reserve fuel and had to buy another 13 liters from another rider to finish the day. The drag strip was lots of fun too...

Anyone got pics?

Last edited:
15 liters for me, and I only ran a session or two in the afternoon after my almost monster highside popped out my hip joint :( I always bring 60 liters of fuel so lots to sell/go around.

Good news is that I shaved almost a whole second off my previous best lap time! I'm down to a 1:20.70 now!!!

Slow mo goodness at the end:

[video=youtube;V2CGiqInUIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CGiqInUIM[/video]

Bike was making stupid awesome power, love it more every track day I do with it. Need new rear tire (past the wear bars on the right side, left side looks brand new, thanks TMP :( lol).

Last edited:
15 liters for me, and I only ran a session or two in the afternoon after my almost monster highside popped out my hip joint :( I always bring 60 liters of fuel so lots to sell/go around.

Good news is that I shaved almost a whole second off my previous best lap time! I'm down to a 1:20.70 now!!!

Slow mo goodness at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CGiqInUIM

Bike was making stupid awesome power, love it more every track day I do with it. Need new rear tire (past the wear bars on the right side, left side looks brand new, thanks TMP :( lol).

You really need to work only your body position.

You really need to work only your body position.
No doubt! After my new round of hip and knee injections I have a new physio program to work on the range of motion of my hips/legs/knees and to build strength in my leg with the metal rods in it. Probably not this year but by next year I should be able to open my hips enough to slide off and have enough strength in my left leg/knee to put some weight on the peg!

Ya I was curious cause you started off with some nice suspension parts.
They definitely help, that's for sure. But I still have a lot to learn. I got the thumbs up to ride in intermediate and I'll find out how slow I really am on the 31st.

Never been to TMP but I'll give it a shot before the season is over and I will let you know my times then. :)

Nothing all wrong with 1:20s.
Congrats Jamie your doing good out there man.
Thanks! I was running 1:21's and 1:22's all day so was really happy with my consistency. My lap timer said that for the entire day my best theoretical lap (combining all the best sector times) was a 1:17 and from every lap ever done at TMP (a little over 200) my best theoretical time would be 1:15. The update to Harry's Lap Timer can now cut up your track videos to show you the video segments of each best sector and even show you exactly what my 1:15 lap should look like but it doesn't seem to work on my iPod 4th gen so am looking to purchase a crap iPhone 4S then it should handle it no problem. Really curious to study what my 1:15 lap would look like :D

I'm putting a new set of Pirelli Superbike Pro Red Stripe slicks back on my bike, rear in 200/55, so we'll see how much slower I go on those :(

Last edited:
Why not just buy another set of what you're using now?
I only get three track days out of these Q3's and can get six out of the Pirelli's before they go squirrely. I think if I pay more attention to my pressures I can probably get a bit more grip out of the Pirelli's too.

I only get three track days out of these Q3's and can get six out of the Pirelli's before they go squirrely. I think if I pay more attention to my pressures I can probably get a bit more grip out of the Pirelli's too.

Don't use them if your going to try to go faster. I bought a set and took them off after 5 laps. Body and bike parts are more expensive to fix and heal. If you want to save a bit of cash. Buy scrubs. You will still get 3-4 track days but half the cost. The scrubs I sell average 4 track days and the guys run 1:21-1:22's.
Pro slicks aren't worth the bike repairs.

Sent from my imaginary friend

Don't use them if your going to try to go faster. I bought a set and took them off after 5 laps. Body and bike parts are more expensive to fix and heal. If you want to save a bit of cash. Buy scrubs. You will still get 3-4 track days but half the cost. The scrubs I sell average 4 track days and the guys run 1:21-1:22's.
Pro slicks aren't worth the bike repairs.

Your quicker than me, so this is a serious question. Q3 get better traction than pros? How do you get days out of a rear slick? Some guys only get 30 laps out of one. The pros spin up on corner exit, but last. I spun off some 2:15s at bogie on 4 day old pros.

Pros are made to last, not "grip" if it's just a fun day grab race DOT's. Q3's I think are a quicker tire. ( never tried them, going by friends that use them)
Dot's have less to worry about warming up plus same cost approx as pros. It is based on personal goals.
Track days for me are fun first, but same time I try to practice trail braking and different things to help me get faster.
In my case I want maximum traction for my comfort level.
My a** is relying on the traction of tires. I want to try and keep my body intact. Lol I won't try to push my limits if my mind is not trusting the tires. Sub conscious won't let me.
Throttle control, suspension and corner speed all factor tire life. I get 2 "hard" days then I sell mine. There is life left on the tire but it starts to get "slippery" for me.

Pros are made to last, not "grip" if it's just a fun day grab race DOT's. Q3's I think are a quicker tire. ( never tried them, going by friends that use them)
Dot's have less to worry about warming up plus same cost approx as pros. It is based on personal goals.
Track days for me are fun first, but same time I try to practice trail braking and different things to help me get faster.
In my case I want maximum traction for my comfort level.
My a** is relying on the traction of tires. I want to try and keep my body intact. Lol I won't try to push my limits if my mind is not trusting the tires. Sub conscious won't let me.
Throttle control, suspension and corner speed all factor tire life. I get 2 "hard" days then I sell mine. There is life left on the tire but it starts to get "slippery" for me.
I've used them before. On my 7th track day with them (without warmers) I crashed on them (still had over 60% tread depth!). I felt them sliding out on corner exit but it was a pretty cold day so figured I had to push harder to keep some more heat in them. That wasn't the solution :(

I'm very happy with the grip I got out of my Q3's for the first three track days on them. Once the shoulders get close to the wear bars they start to go off quick. The thing I like about the pirelli's is that they really let you know when they are starting to go off, you just have to listen to what they tell you :( With the Q3's it was like traction went off a cliff! One big slide/almost highside with next to zero throttle input, then for the rest of the day slide slide slide.

Like you I am also working on going faster, braking later, trail braking, etc. If I get less traction out of the superbike slicks than I get out of the Q3's I'd be real upset.

I really really appreciate your advice. I'm so torn about what to do. I guess in the end it's better to pay $$$ and have tires you can trust, even if they don't last more than a few track days :(

Because of the condition of my leg/hip/knee plus some surgeries coming up it looks like I'll maybe be doing one track day a month. Could you recommend some sticky tires that don't require a lot of heat (I got no warmers) that would give me better grip than Q3?

That part I would talk to tire reps, depending on brand preference will direct you on which one to choose. I've only heard good things about Q3's but I've never used them. Me personally I've used Bridgestone's and a few Pirellis. IMO next step is warmers. That will remove the "wonder if there warm yet" issue. Otherwise talk to tony at BSR, Dave@ ripp racing(Bridgstone), Pro 6 (Dunlop ) they can lead you to expert advice which is better than a novice racers opinion.

That part I would talk to tire reps, depending on brand preference will direct you on which one to choose. I've only heard good things about Q3's but I've never used them. Me personally I've used Bridgestone's and a few Pirellis. IMO next step is warmers. That will remove the "wonder if there warm yet" issue. Otherwise talk to tony at BSR, Dave@ ripp racing(Bridgstone), Pro 6 (Dunlop ) they can lead you to expert advice which is better than a novice racers opinion.
Thanks for the great advice. Sounds like I should just stick with Q3's :)

Your quicker than me, so this is a serious question. Q3 get better traction than pros? How do you get days out of a rear slick? Some guys only get 30 laps out of one. The pros spin up on corner exit, but last. I spun off some 2:15s at bogie on 4 day old pros.

I get 70 laps roughly out of a rear slick flipping them. That's a whole day or more depending on the amount of sessions and the pace. The fronts last forever.

Your trying to compare tire wear with top level pros.....that's comparing apples to oranges.

Back
Top Bottom