180/190 | GTAMotorcycle.com

180/190

theprophecy13

Hey,

just wondering if anyone has gone from a 190 rear to a 180? If so, what differences did you notice?

he asking the opposite.

I imagine going to a 180 from a 190 you would get a bit of unstability? Maybe make it too twitchy? If it's made for a 190, going to a 180 might save you $ and you loose handling maybe?

Were it me, I'd look at the tire you wanted to buy on the manufacturer's website, they will usually list the rim width for each tire size. Compare that to the width of the rim on your bike and stick to what fits. I wouldn't try to fit a smaller tire onto a larger rim if I didn't have to.

I know that doesn't answer your question but I'm not a tire expert (although, for some reason, I really love tires).

he asking the opposite.

I imagine going to a 180 from a 190 you would get a bit of unstability? Maybe make it too twitchy? If it's made for a 190, going to a 180 might save you $ and you loose handling maybe?

He who saves money on rubber, spends on bodywork...get the size the manufacturer recommends.

he asking the opposite.

First time I have ever heard of someone wanting a smaller rear, just assumed the opposite lol

In the last sentence of the link I provded says "We've experienced similar changes with a 180-series tire on a 5.0-inch rim meant for a 170-series one"
So it seems the same effect on either smaller or larger.

Why are you wanting to do this?

Visually no difference, only 5mm on each side, that's all.

If wheel is 5.5 go 180
if 6.0 go 190
Dont drink the Dunlop koolaid that says their 190 is engineered for a 5.5 its bull.
5.5 inches is 5,5 inches 190mm is 190mm profile will suffer. I have a 190 on my ZX7 now (drank the koolaid) it has decent traction but turns like a truck.

If wheel is 5.5 go 180
if 6.0 go 190
Dont drink the Dunlop koolaid that says their 190 is engineered for a 5.5 its bull.
5.5 inches is 5,5 inches 190mm is 190mm profile will suffer. I have a 190 on my ZX7 now (drank the koolaid) it has decent traction but turns like a truck.

Hmm, that must have been why I couldn't win on the 600 last year, best I could do was 2nd :(

On a road bike I wouldn't bother with a wider profile. On the race bike where I can make adjustments to overcome any handling issues and benifit from the added grip when leaned over getting a drive out of the corner I would and did.

before the 190/55 was invented, all of the bikes that left the factory with a 190/50, swapped a 180/55 onto them as soon as they became racebikes, because all the race rubber was 180 sized back then.....and they still managed just fine.

On my streetbike, I often use a 180 for less weight and cheaper pricing.....never had an issue. Then when I began towing a trailer, I swapped a 190/50 for it's flatter profile. Made the bike more stable when towing.

kool-aid-man-backs-out-o.gif

Back
Top Bottom