Chain Slack/Tension | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Slack/Tension

SONIC

I installed a new chain on my bike, it's a custom so there's no year or model, and set it up with the standard amount of slack, within an inch top to bottom, but i'm finding now that the bike is very jerky/jumpy when in gear at low/rolling speeds, or in gear at low rpm/idle. So since it's a custom, has a long swingarm and a bigger rear sprocket, is it possible that i require more or less slack to stop it from jumping around like that for this type of application? At speed it's fine, no jumping no jerking on and off acceleration.

The reason for replacing the chain was because the last one snapped/fell off, so not sure if perhaps something was damaged that i can't see?? Here's the other post on that story:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?184586-Chain-snapped-off

Pull off the front sprocket cover and have a look.

Did you kink the chain when riveting it?

Usually I would say stretched chain when you describe jerking, pause, hesitation in low gear with steady throttle, but as it's new I would definitely have a look at the front sprocket.

qazuruga.jpg

My chain was skipping over this while accelerating, then fine when under steady throttle. They got replaced a couple of weeks ago.

As this bike has a hardtail there is no need to add slack to accomodate suspension movement. Leave just enough that the chain isn't tight.

Pull off the front sprocket cover and have a look.

Did you kink the chain when riveting it?

Usually I would say stretched chain when you describe jerking, pause, hesitation in low gear with steady throttle, but as it's new I would definitely have a look at the front sprocket.

My chain was skipping over this while accelerating, then fine when under steady throttle. They got replaced a couple of weeks ago.

What do you mean by kinking the chain when riveting? Ya the front sprockets fine, I got it with 1500k, prob put on another 1000 since then, still looks new and no apparant damage from when the last chain broke off.

As this bike has a hardtail there is no need to add slack to accomodate suspension movement. Leave just enough that the chain isn't tight.

hmmm, ok, didn't know that was the reason for slack is because of the suspension. I always thought you needed that amount of slack to give the tranny and rear sprocket some play so it doesn't get hammered when you get on the throttle.

hmmm, ok, didn't know that was the reason for slack is because of the suspension. I always thought you needed that amount of slack to give the tranny and rear sprocket some play so it doesn't get hammered when you get on the throttle.

That's the job of the cush drive

What do you mean by kinking the chain when riveting? Ya the front sprockets fine, I got it with 1500k, prob put on another 1000 since then, still looks new and no apparant damage from when the last chain broke off.
I've over tightened a riveted master link before, and ended up with a kink in the chain.

I'm curious as to what is causing your problem.

Back
Top Bottom