Have a Yamaha R6, want a new bike to ride every day (Looking at the FZ-09). | GTAMotorcycle.com

Have a Yamaha R6, want a new bike to ride every day (Looking at the FZ-09).

Matthew.Tremayne

Hey guys, I'm currently on an R6, love SS bikes but it isn't practical to ride every day, 2 up or long distances. I've done the "Iron Butt" 2 up and it was pretty brutal. I'm on pace for 30,000+ KM this season, I do everything with it. I want something I can ride comfortably and still has the similar amount or more power. I've been looking at the FZ-09 and have a demo set up at Snow City. I was thinking of the Street Triple R as well. I would like some suggestions and some more bikes that I should check out that have 600 SS type power and handling that I can live riding with everyday. The only thing that I've heard from others is the negative effect of riding a bike without wind protection. I've ridden a few bikes with no fairing's and it didn't seem unbearable.

Please help me out, thanks!

Also, I will be keeping the R6 to use on the track :)

Im not sure about the fz09..... But I've been looking at the fz07 as my next bike... And a lot of people have suggested getting a wind deflector(either Yamaha or aftermarket) and it greatly reduces the wind affect

If I were you (and if I understand your desires correctly) I'd take a spin on one of these to see how it compares:

2014-kawasaki-z1000-leak-25.jpg

If I were you (and if I understand your desires correctly) I'd take a spin on one of these to see how it compares:

More comfy, much more even power band, but still easily nets you a 50 over lol

Imo, something smaller (like a Ninja 300) that you can actually use the entire throttle range would be more fun for daily commute.

FZ-09 is pretty fast up to 150KM ( probably shouldn't ride faster :D ) .... But the suspension will be a let down coming from your R6.

You would most likely need to upgrade suspension, and ECU. Also the seat is really a hit or miss for some people.

Wind blast can be sort-of remedied with a wind screen.

Hayabusa, FJR1300, ZX14R, Bandit 1200, Z1000...

I never should have test rode this bike. ..Three times. Aside from the ridiculous rear spring, it awesome.

Thanks for all of the replies!

It looks like I will have to try out the Z1000! It's a beautiful looking bike, I've read up on it before and watched some videos (everyone says how bad @$$ it is).

LoneRonin, I'm sorry but the Fazer isn't what I'm looking for. I was SS type power and handling (or close to that) but an upright seating position.

Power wheelies, hitting twisties hard and then being practical enough to ride every day. It's almost too much to ask for!

They are really nice, I live 10 mins from GP Bikes so this will definitely be a consideration. Isn't insurance nuts on them though? :p

If you look into it, can you let us know the price for both the bike and insurance? I've been trying to Google the bike price but nothing is coming up (the values aren't consistent).

more bikes to look at....

MV Agusta Brutale 675
Aprilia Shiver
ducati monster795
kawasaki z750
ktm 690 duke
suzuki gladius

Sell the r6, buy a track ready bike. It's cheaper this way, I do like the current Yamaha naked bike line up. You can get deals on used fz1/6.

Have you considered a VFR 800?I highly recomend the fifth generation(98-01) version of this bike.It's sporty,has great wind protection,easily handles two up and is dead reliable.I've owned two and can honestly say with decent tires it will hang with 600 sport bikes on the street all day long,a little heavy for the track though.A small price to pay for the added comfort.There are also lots of newer versions out there with the v-tec but I prefer the simplicity and the unique sound of the gear driven cams.Someone mentioned the ZX-14 which is the most awesome bike I have ever ridden but way more mortorcycle than anyone would possibly need on the street.That thing will go from 0-160 in a heartbeat and then it's goodbye licence.

Get ready for some Torque.
Triumph Speed Triple, Z1000, Tuono V4R, MV 800 Dragster/Brutale, KTM 1290 SD, FZ 09, Ducati Streetfighter, Ducati Monster 821/1200. All these bike can suit what you are looking for. All depends on budget and what compromises you are willing to accept. You can't really choose a bad bike right now.
I went from supersport to naked. And won't ever go back for a street bike anyway.
I like that there is no wind protection. More open feel. What's the point of buying a naked bike to put a giant windscreen on it? What ever you choose I'm sure you will have fun and be more comfortable than the R6.

Back
Top Bottom