04 ZZR250 Stopped on highway | GTAMotorcycle.com

04 ZZR250 Stopped on highway

Mango Rider

I got a funky zzr250 in March and it's been giving me tons of problems for quite some time, and with much help I've been able to keep her running on and off throughout the season. Many Carb pulls aand spark plug changes due to an ill-tuned setup from previous owner(s)

Yesterday tho I was on the 401 and it was running fine until I thought I hit a bump or something. And then I started losing power (similar to when you run out of gas, but I topped up before getting on the highway) and moved to the shoulder lane while hearing a funky sound as the RPMs went from 10k to 0, like something caught in a fan or clogged in a pipe... I tried starting it, gave some ttrouble, but turned over and heard that clicking/clogged noise still and it shut off. I kept trying to keep her alive, but she wouldn't stay idle without gas. The clicking noise is worrying. I'm now a CAA member tho, so there's that....

My good friend who usually helps me has got a new job recently and has little to no time to help me out with this for quite some time, and I'm wondering if someone could come by and give me a fair diagnosis and some help maybe? This bikes my only mode of transport outside of the TTC and would hate to stop having to ride by August.

did the lights stay on?
did you check the battery terminals for a tight connection?

Battery is fine, it's getting power no problem and the lights are good.

Would a bad ignition coil keep it from staying alive? Could it have been possible that it broke inside and is rattling around the engine?
Mind you, I'm not really mechanically inclined

I changed the oil about 2300-2500km ago, last time I checked it was about half-2/3. Ill check again when I'm home

So I checked the oil again, and I don't see it through the glass. How would the oil run out from only 2500kms? It was never leaking, there's never a spot underneath the bike when I take it out in the morning. Shouldn't an oil change be approximately 5k?
And how bad is it to change the oil when the bike is completely cold now?

The oil capacity on that bike is less than 2 litres, and they are known to use a little bit of oil (it's normal). Unfortunately, there is a significant possibility that you have cooked your engine. Being run out of oil is likely the number one reason for those bikes to die.

Get someone experienced to take a look and listen.

So I checked the oil again, and I don't see it through the glass. How would the oil run out from only 2500kms? It was never leaking, there's never a spot underneath the bike when I take it out in the morning. Shouldn't an oil change be approximately 5k?
And how bad is it to change the oil when the bike is completely cold now?

did you check with the bike of flat, level ground?

Would a bad ignition coil keep it from staying alive?

It certainly would. And you could keep it alive by giving it throttle, but you would feel a big loss of power, like you described.

Could it have been possible that it broke inside and is rattling around the engine?

No. Your coils are secured to the frame.

Pull the spark plugs and check them. If one's wet, either the spark plug wire or ignition coil is bad. If both plugs look okay, your problem is elsewhere.

did you check with the bike of flat, level ground?

I looked down once (with kickstand on opposite side), saw it was empty.
Knelt down and started to lean the bike on my body continually until it felt like quite a bit of weight was on my shoulder, and still saw nothing the entire time.

It certainly would. And you could keep it alive by giving it throttle, but you would feel a big loss of power, like you described.
Pull the spark plugs and check them. If one's wet, either the spark plug wire or ignition coil is bad. If both plugs look okay, your problem is elsewhere.

I'll make sure to check the plugs when I change the oil too. Whats the easiest way to reuse spark plugs btw? I've gone through 2 sets already due to some troubling situations, or is buying new ones just a better idea? (cant get them at CT or PartSource for some reason, only at the Flying Squirrel 2 for 10$ or something)
What kind process/work or cost am I looking at if the ignition coil is bad?

Hoping this is all just an oil problem. Really hoping.

it would be better if its a spark plug or coil problem.
Like Brian B mentioned, the 250's oil capacity is small, so if you have burned some of your oil (which is normal like he said), it means you need a new engine.

replacing the coils is a straight swap. unplug from the wiring harness, unplug from spark plugs, unbolt from frame and replace.

If the oil was low enough to cause a loss of power, it's over. Your description of the symptoms match a spun bearing. As to where the oil went, if it wasn't dripping down, it must have put it out the pipe.

Measure the amount of oil that comes out and let us know how much was in there.

Hmmmm losing power like out of gas yet just filled and after a bump........tank vent maybe? Open gas cap and try it.
Now that said EVERY engine failure I have seen with these was due to running out of oil. They only hold 1.9L and all burn a bit.

Hope it's not oil starvation, indeed.

You can clean your plugs with some brake cleaner or even electrical contact cleaner and a wire brush. Brush gently for a little bit then wipe dry with a rag. You'll want to re-check the gap afterwards.

Canadian Tire sells a cheap spark plug service kit that's really useful for doing all that.

Thanks everyone for the replies and info.

Fixing this engine sounds like more work and money than this bike is worth. Would I have to replace it? Having this as a first bike has been giving me a hassle, and selling it seems like it'll never happen...
I won't be able to change the oil until tomorrow evening. No garage, no filter and morning classes... so I'll go find something to measure the cold oil tomorrow.

I'll update this when the oil is changed and hopefully the bike runs

Worst comes to worst find a new motor throw it in, easy job can motor swap that bike in a hour, when I had mine I got a motor, wiring harness, carbs, tank for $400
If you have a compression tester check to see if it's fine. My bike lost abit compression in the one cylinder before the motor went

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If cooked I would go the motor replacement route from salvage. Just remember the 250 ZZR H model has different side covers than the regular 250 F model. If scraping how about the shooting me the two rear blanks that cover the Euro/Asian position turn signals that would have been located in the fairing.

Worst comes to worst find a new motor throw it in, easy job can motor swap that bike in a hour, when I had mine I got a motor, wiring harness, carbs, tank for $400
If you have a compression tester check to see if it's fine. My bike lost abit compression in the one cylinder before the motor went

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'd love to see that job done in 1 HOUR.

Back
Top Bottom