GSXR Recall - Issue with aftermarket levers | GTAMotorcycle.com

GSXR Recall - Issue with aftermarket levers

Murchie

Hey Guys,
I just recently booked my 2009 GSXR 600 at ReadyPowerSports (Mississauga) for the two recalls to be done - front brake master cylinder & rectifier. I went to pick up the bike yesterday and the bike was okay when the service advisor brought it out. I parked it in the lot, jumped back in my car to grab my gear and then walked over to the dealership to pick up the bike.

It is at this time, i noticed the front brake lever was extremely hard and the bike wouldn't move due to the front brake being applied. Service had already closed by this time and the Sales team stepped up to help me with the bike. After 30 minutes of hussling, we grabbed a dolly and loaded up the front of the bike on the dolly. We then wheeled it to a more secure location outside within the dealership.

Today i get a call from service stating that my ASV levers on the bike is the cause of the issue. The fact that he brought the bike out just fine bothers me. Does this make sense?
Has anyone experienced this issue? I'm sure there are a lot bikes out there with aftermarket levers.
I was advised by the service department that i need to change my levers back to stock.
Please let me know your experiences.
Thank You

Hey Guys,
I just recently booked my 2009 GSXR 600 at ReadyPowerSports (Mississauga) for the two recalls to be done - front brake master cylinder & rectifier. I went to pick up the bike yesterday and the bike was okay when the service advisor brought it out. I parked it in the lot, jumped back in my car to grab my gear and then walked over to the dealership to pick up the bike.

It is at this time, i noticed the front brake lever was extremely hard and the bike wouldn't move due to the front brake being applied. Service had already closed by this time and the Sales team stepped up to help me with the bike. After 30 minutes of hussling, we grabbed a dolly and loaded up the front of the bike on the dolly. We then wheeled it to a more secure location outside within the dealership.

Today i get a call from service stating that my ASV levers on the bike is the cause of the issue. The fact that he brought the bike out just fine bothers me. Does this make sense?
Has anyone experienced this issue? I'm sure there are a lot bikes out there with aftermarket levers.
I was advised by the service department that i need to change my levers back to stock.
Please let me know your experiences.
Thank You

I hope you have the stock levers?
If so, swap it. It should replicate the ASV.
Sounds like the new m/cyl may have a diff shape causing the lever to not fit correctly, otherwise, the ASV was installed wrong after the recall issue fix?

Thanks guys. I found this on gixxer.com:

Technical Bulletin:

ASV Brake Levers on Recently Recalled Suzuki GSX-R
Motorcycles Must Be Re-Installed on Updated Master Cylinders Using ASV's
Original Brake Plunger Rod

Recently recalled 2004 to 2009 Suzuki
GSX-R600, GSX-R750 and GSX-R1000 motorcycles fitted with ASV Inventions brake
levers before the recall can potentially have issues if the original ASV brake
plunger rod on the recalled brake master cylinder is not reinstalled on the
replacement.

Furthermore, the plunger rod on Suzuki's recall-mandated
brake master cylinder must not be used with any ASV lever.

ASV recommends
that GSX-R owners with ASV brake levers re-mounted on upgraded master cylinders
return to the dealer that installed them to ensure that the ASV lever's original
plunger rod was used.

Installation of ASV brake levers on the new master
cylinders must be performed according to ASV's installation instructions, which
can be found at ASVinventions.com.

If the original ASV plunger rod wasn't
used and the dealer no longer has the ASV-supplied part, a replacement will be
sent free of charge.

To receive this part or get more information
regarding the recall exchange and installation of an ASV brake lever, please
contact ASV Inventions at 714-861-1400

ASV levers on my 07 600 ('08 radial master on it) and Pazzo's on my 09 1000. No issues whatsoever.

wow, I was told by Ready that after market levers are ok ... I was about to take my bike there, but changed my mind

I have CRG's on mine and am really hoping that it will be ok.
Anyone had experience with the CRG's ???

I just called ASV earlier. There's 2 part numbers. Depending on which one you have, you need to use the appropriate plunger rod. See below:

1) Part # BR11 - ASV Plunger should be used

OR

2)Part # BLR11D - Suzuki plunger should be used

Hope this helps. Waiting to hear back from Ready Power Sports

Somebody can't file down or machine that plunger?

This is why I keep 'important' stuff stock. The 'nice to look at' stuff can be aftermarket.

Any mechanic who knows how to actually fix stuff, should have seen that issue and fixed it.

Finally got the bike back yesterday. The information i posted regarding the plunger resolved the issue. What concerns me is, shouldn't the dealership have known that?

I was told by the service advisor that Suzuki did not state anything about how to install this new cylinder with aftermarket levers. Which i find odd because ASV clearly mentions what needs to be done. Furthermore i was told and this really bothers the crap out of me - I quote: "When we installed the master cylinder, there was no issue as the brake lever worked as expected so how are we supposed to know there's an alternate method when dealing with these levers"

So clearly, if it works the first time then it's all good. What happens shortly after that would be dismissed as "we were not informed"...********

You dealing with people's lives here.

Always...always...***EXPECT*** that the mechanic/dealership has no clue.
It's sad but true. You will always be the most informed person when it comes to your ride.
I always google a repair procedure before taking in my car or bike. Then you walk in and say, "you guys know about xxxx, right?"

Finally got the bike back yesterday. The information i posted regarding the plunger resolved the issue. What concerns me is, shouldn't the dealership have known that?

No, they shouldn't. The dealerships cannot possibly be responsible for farkle mods from who knows where. The brakes were specifically designed by professional engineers for one lever design. They should not have worked on the bike at all with third party levers.
You have to understand when you start hacking a bike from stock, you take responsibility after that. Kids are slapping on all kinds of cheap, unsafe crap from China from eBay.

The idea that on a recall a mechanic is supposed to spend time figuring out some modded part is ridiculous.

No, they shouldn't. The dealerships cannot possibly be responsible for farkle mods from who knows where. The brakes were specifically designed by professional engineers for one lever design. They should not have worked on the bike at all with third party levers.
You have to understand when you start hacking a bike from stock, you take responsibility after that. Kids are slapping on all kinds of cheap, unsafe crap from China from eBay.

The idea that on a recall a mechanic is supposed to spend time figuring out some modded part is ridiculous.

I understand your point, however there should be no "figuring out" as the procedure is clear cut. They should be well aware is all i'm saying.

Taking this thread another way, which dealers are doing a good job with the recall, and which should we avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if a mechanic is unsure of the outcome after they install the replacement part, they should simply say they can't do it since they are not sure if it'll work.
our lives here is not joke or an experiment.

Please .. they are so many mechanics out there that would evaluate the situation before doing the job and getting paid for it.
not impressed with Ready Powersports. Glad my bike isn't going there.

This is why I keep 'important' stuff stock. The 'nice to look at' stuff can be aftermarket.

This is kinda backwards IMHO. the important stuff to me is tires, brakes and suspension. All three of which (at least on sport bikes) are far better with reputable aftermarket companies. The stock stuff is adequate and built to a price point. ASV is one of those reputable companies and they issued a statement that the levers wouldnt work with the new master. Thats something that any shop should be looking into during this install.

I believe they should have put a stock lever on the bike to make sure it was right. and return the aftermarket lever to the customer.

Back
Top Bottom