If you are under 25 and getting ripped off on insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

If you are under 25 and getting ripped off on insurance

Xaxxus

My Driving Record:
- 23 years old
- GM2 Licence (got M2 in may)
- Been driving cars since 2008
- one ticket for an illegal left turn in 2008 (now long gone off my record)
- No at fault accidents under my name (my parents got in a few fender benders in cars that I was insured on but not me)

Currently with state farm paying $2400/yr on a 2013 Suzuki GW250 (cheapest quote of all the major ins companies).

Decided to try a few brokers:

Called Dalton Timmis and SurNet. SurNet was slightly cheaper. Both were significantly cheaper than my original insurance with state farm.

- Dalton Timmis $1946/yr full coverage

- Surnet (Paul South) $1919/yr full coverage $300 deductibles $1 mil liability.

SurNet uses Aviva, and won't do higher than 650cc until you have 4 yrs riding experience. Also not all of their agents handle motorcycles (I called Paul South, nice guy). Since I don't plan on getting a bigger bike until I am 25 anyways, I ended up going with SurNet.

Also feel free to post any other companies you found good deals with.

Last edited:
I have no experience with Dalton Timmis, but for those looking for the cheapest insurance out there, do some reviews on people trying to make claims before you sign on the dotted line.
The last thing you want is a massive headache getting paid/coverage when you are laid up in a hospital bed, doped up on a million meds.

For what it's worth, I have heard of plenty of good stories of StateFarm being quick to pay people out.

Your first year of insurance will be high regardless, it will only lower (assuming no claims, tickets etc) after the first year, and then when you hit milestones at 25 yrs old, 30 yrs old, or change your postal code.

Yup just got insured with dalton timmis for 2500/yr instead of 4600/yr from TD on ninja 650.

Do you know which insurance company they put you with? Dalton Timmis is the broker but they would have placed you with a specific company. As an insurance broker, it's good to know who to refer people to if I'm unable to help them out.

Do you know which insurance company they put you with? Dalton Timmis is the broker but they would have placed you with a specific company. As an insurance broker, it's good to know who to refer people to if I'm unable to help them out.

I didn't end up going with Dalton Timmis. I found a slightly cheaper quote from SurNet (Paul South was the agent, nice guy). SurNet uses Aviva for motorcycle, and not all of their agents sell motorcycle insurance. So if you do recommend SurNet make sure to mention they call Paul South.

The only thing to note is that Aviva won't insure a bike over 650cc unless you have been riding for four years. I plan on swapping insurance companies when I hit 25, but for now they are cheapest and it gives me room for a small bike upgrade if I want.

Last edited:
Question for insurance experts, can I shop around for a new policy mid way through my current one?

Question for insurance experts, can I shop around for a new policy mid way through my current one?

The answear is, yes, you can shop around for a new policy.
However keep in mind that there is a penalty for breaking the contract before the year expires and the penalty can be quite high, the savings you would get from another carrier will be offset by the penalty.

I don't recommend doing it, wait 4-6 weeks before your renewal and then start shopping around, not only will you get to see what your renewal will be like, you will get to compare it with other insurance carriers

23, DM2Z license, 4 years riding experience. No tickets or accidents. 09 Ninja 250r, ~900 with Desjardins. TDMM was asking for 1500 for renewal.

They like to charge me a pretty penny for my R6...

I didn't end up going with Dalton Timmis. I found a slightly cheaper quote from SurNet (Paul South was the agent, nice guy). SurNet uses Aviva for motorcycle, and not all of their agents sell motorcycle insurance. So if you do recommend SurNet make sure to mention they call Paul South.

The only thing to note is that Aviva won't insure a bike over 650cc unless you have been riding for four years. I plan on swapping insurance companies when I hit 25, but for now they are cheapest and it gives me room for a small bike upgrade if I want.

Thanks for the referral!

Back
Top Bottom