Any education course for vintage bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any education course for vintage bikes?

Potatochips

So yeah, I just got my 1974 Honda CB360 and I know vintage motorcycle needs some maintenance/repair eventually. Are there any good places to learn how do maintenance/repair? (One that actually teaches you how to find out the problem and fix it)

From what I found in this forum, the Humber College one isn't a good choice. How about Centennial?

For now, I bought a Clymer's manual, but I think I do need some basic knowledge to get started.
:confused:

YouTube is handy

Clymer manual is a good start. Post questions in the Technical sub-forum as you run into issues.

If you're not mechanically-inclined and don't already own a basic set of tools, you might want to subscribe to Canadian Tire's eFlyer. You're gonna ride to CT's a lot.

Go to meet-ups and hang around people who build and fix their own bikes. Offer beer or a meal in exchange for a tutorial. Just because we enjoy working on old bikes doesn't mean we'll do it for free.

Join a group like Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group (CVMG) or a local Honda-specific association. It will put you in touch with other enthusiasts who might be willing to share their knowledge and experience with similar minded people.

Cool, sounds like joining vintage group and meet-ups are lot of fun!

When does Town Moto's usually have their tech nights?

1974 360? Is that a twin? I used to have one.. Medium blue tank with dark blue and white stripes... Great bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clymer manual is a good start. Post questions in the Technical sub-forum as you run into issues.

If you're not mechanically-inclined and don't already own a basic set of tools, you might want to subscribe to Canadian Tire's eFlyer. You're gonna ride to CT's a lot.

+1...

This plus youtube, plus factory manuals (if you can get them), plus a forum dedicated to that bike goes a long way.

I have done a few projects on my bike all with these resources.

Go to meet-ups and hang around people who build and fix their own bikes. Offer beer or a meal in exchange for a tutorial. Just because we enjoy working on old bikes doesn't mean we'll do it for free.
Lol agree. I can help you with your vintage dilemma. If you live close by i dont mind dropping by. Id you live far then drive over. Bring a 6 pack or a meal. Big mac or whopper should be fair lol

Subscribe now!

Youll need a decent set of wrench with 6 point sockets not 12. Must have 6-7-8-10-12-14-17-19mm deep and shallow. As well as line wrench with the said sizes. Go for the maximum line and avoid regular mastercraft. I find the mastercraft sizing off. Stantley and maximum has good socket sets.

Cool, sounds like joining vintage group and meet-ups are lot of fun!

When does Town Moto's usually have their tech nights?

Check their blog/site regularly as they normally announce them on there. They've also been having regular monthly ride-ins throughout the summer. There are normally a fair number of vintage bikes at those so you can meet other owners.

Youll need a decent set of wrench with 6 point sockets not 12. Must have 6-7-8-10-12-14-17-19mm deep and shallow. As well as line wrench with the said sizes. Go for the maximum line and avoid regular mastercraft. I find the mastercraft sizing off. Stantley and maximum has good socket sets.

I'm not scared of 12-points as much as most bike guys seem to be but yeah, common sense dictates that you avoid 12-pt sockets on worn bolt heads.

I got metric sets, deep and shallow, in all 3 mainstream sizes, but you can make do with just 3/8" stuff if you get a long ratchet and/or breaker bar.

Co-sign on the Stanley and Mastercraft Maximum stuff. Their quick-release ratchets are decent Snap-On copies, just not as fine-toothed.

Princess Auto's composite ratchets with the offset handle are pretty good too. I keep the 1/4" in my bike along with the most common socket sizes (in my case, the vast majority of fasteners are 10 and 12mm. Front axle is 15, rear axle 17.)

I also like Princess Auto's ratcheting combo wrenches. They have very little backdrag compared to Mastercraft. Good cheap Taiwanese stuff.

Last edited:
YouTube is handy

+1,

YouTube these days has so many DIY videos, you can find one for a specific bike.

The place to start is very specific vintage forums, and figure out what the long term issues are on this model.
The rest is getting dirty and just doing it. None of it is rocket science, but vintage electrical can be a real PITA.

Invest in modern upgrades, like electronic ignition and better electrical components.

Lol agree. I can help you with your vintage dilemma. If you live close by i dont mind dropping by. Id you live far then drive over. Bring a 6 pack or a meal. Big mac or whopper should be fair lol

Subscribe now!

sure thing, what i have now are the original tools that came with the bike lol
which area are u from?

Check their blog/site regularly as they normally announce them on there. They've also been having regular monthly ride-ins throughout the summer. There are normally a fair number of vintage bikes at those so you can meet other owners.

ya, for now i m still shopping for insurance haha

Hunt down the Canadian Vintage Group in your area as was already suggested , the owners are as eclectic as the bikes, but there was about 2 million or more CB 360's made so its pretty likely to find some guys that know lots about them.

Back
Top Bottom