First Bike Maintenance Questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Bike Maintenance Questions

dhooooo

Hey I just got my bike less than a month ago.. I have a Ninja 250 2010.

I just had a few questions about maintenance.

What do I need to do regularly and how often? (Oil change, clean filter, clean carb, lube my chain)

What brand should I buy for lubing my chain, for oil changes, oil filter?

I still do not know how to do any of that stuff yet as I just got my bike and I was wondering if there is anything else I am missing like flush coolant or something? Do not know what that is but I seen it somewhere.

Are these stuff that is hard to do and I would need a professional to do it? (any recommended places?)

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Last edited:

What do I need to do regularly and how often? (Oil change, clean filter, clean carb, lube my chain)

I still do not know how to do any of that stuff yet as I just got my bike and I was wondering if there is anything else I am missing like flush coolant or something? Do not know what that is but I seen it somewhere.

Are these stuff that is hard to do and I would need a professional to do it? (any recommended places?)

Thank you,

The very first thing you should do is read/buy/find an owners manual and a service manual. The owners manual will tell you what maintenance should be done and when. The service manual will give you instructions on how to do these things. If you don't have one or either of those manuals, you should be able to find digital copies online. I'd try a ninja 250 specific forum. Most of what you want to do is fairly straight forward and you can get a good overview of what's required by watching youtube videos.

As for the best brands of oil and filter, everyone has an opinion. The most important thing is that they're changed. Anywhere that sells bike specific parts should be able to recommend something for you that works.

The only place I could recommend in Markham is Speedworx. If you need help, I wouldn't hesitate contacting them.

Besides lubing the chain, there's nothing else you have to do regularly.
I wouldn't worry about anything but an occasional (~6,000km - check your manual) oil change which you can easily do yourself in half an hour.
Check tire pressure every couple of weeks.

And yes, all this stuff is in your manual so if you don't have one, that would be the first thing to look into.

This is a list of GTA shops I made if you can't figure something out:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?176219-GTA-Motorcycle-Store-Shop-Directory

Last edited:
Welcome to forum! Congrats on the Ninja. It's a great bike to ride! It's gonna be fun.

Google Ninja 250 forums. There are quite a few out there with tons of information.

Here is a wiki database for Ninja 250:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Thank you,

If you want to learn about your bike check this out http://www.cyclepedia.com/online-ma...10-kawasaki-ninja-250r-online-service-manual/

Chain 500-1000km, nothing works better than kerosene for cleaning and dupont teflon chain saver to lube your chain which is available at lowes for about 7$ a can.

DUPONT-CS0110101_300.jpg

Oil changes whatever you want as long as its for a bike, same goes with filter. I go with oem but others swear by various other brands...

As others have said, find the shop manual for the bike. Either buy a copy or use your google skills. Took me about 30 seconds to find a pdf of the service manual for your bike online. If you at all mechanically inclined have a bit of space to work and some good basic hand tools you can follow the instructions and pretty much strip a bike down.

You will need to lube the chain regularly. Change the oil & filter and adjust the chain slack every 6000km or so.

If you get really stuck post in the tech section here. You will get helpful answers, just be very clear in your post what the issue is.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice, I actually went to the shop for my first oil change and check up so I know if there is anything wrong with my bike. Cost like $169.99 plus tax.. pretty pricey. Anyways they said I was missing a licence plates light and suggested me to get a bolt fx. Anyone familar with installing a bolt fx? I tried to google videos but I cant find it, pm me if you have done it before. Thanks

Last edited:
YouTube is your friend. Haynes and Clymers make for good reading. If all of this doesn't put you at ease -Humber College runs a motorcycle maintainance course. Remember their courses are tax deductible because they're college courses. There's a beginner and an advanced classes.

YouTube is your friend. Haynes and Clymers make for good reading. If all of this doesn't put you at ease -Humber College runs a motorcycle maintainance course. Remember their courses are tax deductible because they're college courses. There's a beginner and an advanced classes.

I was thinking about taking that course, as basic maintenance is pricey, and I'd like to do it myself.
You would recommend it then?

RTFM

All the answers are contained within.

RTFM....read the fing manual...

If you have space and time, trully other than may be engine /gearbox overhaul or electrical trouble shooting, all other work can be done by you. My manual even shows me how to strip the engine and tranny off.

Look up your manual....if you work on your own bike, you know that the job is being done good and in the future if you get stuck, then you'll know what to do...

** stuff you learn overhauling/ maintaining ninja 250 will come to good use when you buy a bigger bike

Back
Top Bottom