Is it legal to "squeeze" through to make a right turn? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it legal to "squeeze" through to make a right turn?

Hey! Im a motorcycle examiner - To answer your question about the road test - Unless the lane is "marked" (making it into 2 lanes) then it is treated as one lane - even if really wide. So, if you were doing the M road test, unless you see its divided into double lane, treat it as one lane and wait - otherwise you are sharing a lane or lane splitting.

I always allow space for people to do this behind me as to not be a d**k as long as they signal before I stop I will stop as far left and forward as I safely can.

.+1

I do it, even in my car if possible, but as to it being legal, I don't know........

I got tagged for it on the intersection of Steeles & Martin in Milton while leaving the Honda Powerhouse dealership.
"illegal passing on right hand side" - $110 + 2 points.

Just happened to do this yesterday in front of a cop. One bike went, then the car in front of me, then myself (in my car). We were all within inches of the vehicle in the lane (to our left). Cop didn't seem to care. That still doesn't make it legal, though.

Hey! Im a motorcycle examiner - To answer your question about the road test - Unless the lane is "marked" (making it into 2 lanes) then it is treated as one lane - even if really wide.

It's interesting to see an examiner say that, how much latitude do examiners have with a call like that?

I know someone who, back in the stone age, while trying to avoid graduated G licensing, failed one of his his road tests for "improperly changing lanes in an unmarked two lane", ie. not signaling.

I got tagged for it on the intersection of Steeles & Martin in Milton while leaving the Honda Powerhouse dealership.
"illegal passing on right hand side" - $110 + 2 points.

Dude, that's right across the street from the Police station.

Dude, that's right across the street from the Police station.

Tagged by HRPS.
The police station across from the Honda dealership is a decommissioned OPP station that they use to run the OPP court services wagons out of.

The implications of Bunda are often overstated on these boards, interpreted far too broadly, and typically omit similar cases where the charges have been dismissed.

quoted from the HTA

Passing to right of vehicle
150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;
(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or
(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

The problem here is a) ensuring the vehicle being passed is indeed making a left turn, and b) determining exactly what qualifies sufficient width to perform the action safely.

Considering lane widths range from 9' - 15', not to mention the varying widths of vehicles as well as their lane position relative to the center line... there are too many variables in play to answer the OP's question with a simple yes or no.

Back
Top Bottom