***The Official Speed Trap Thread*** | GTAMotorcycle.com

***The Official Speed Trap Thread***

OmegaBravo7

If the thread doesn't already exist (with success) ........

Lets post where we see speed traps to give the rest of us heads up. I get the creeps seeing cops hiding to ticket a poor sole. It's no different than a robber hiding behind a bush and jumping out on its victim to take some money.

Here a few common traps...

Albion/Islington:
Heading south on Islngton rd from Albion the hill goes down and used to be 60 km/hr speed limit. There are no light or stop signs for a long stretch. It was suddenly changed to 50 km/hr. And some folks are not only used to that speed limit for about 15 yrs now but the hill goes down as well which for some their speed goes up a bit if not careful. On Sandhill Dr. (where hill sort of ends) there are 2 regular coppers that pull over REGULARLY. Be careful!! It's "literally" a trap. It's just at the bridge above Humber River. Be extra cautious going south here because for some fukced up reason a homeowner here is allowing the cop to use their driveway as well.

On the same rd, Islington Rd, heading north towards Albion, cops (2 regulars) trap folks driving north. Here too the hill goes down and levels out before going back up towards Albion Rd. At the end of the bridge watch out for the cop hiding in Barker Ave. Sometimes there are 2 cops alternating between who does the pulling over and pointing the laser gun. Business is good for them here. ALWAYS trapping folks. It's a long stretch on a main road with no crosswalk, no lights, no stop signs, no schools... used to be 60 km/hr and suddenly dropped to 50 km/hr. I cruise at about 55 and believe me I feel like I'm walking on that long stretch but just becareful.

Another at a bridge: Going west and east, watch out for the speed traps west of the Humber river bridge. When heading west they're hiding at the end of the bridge, hard to see 'til its too late.
Going East theyre either in the parking lot of the small plaza just before the bridge on the right, or they park down hill right before the bridge and stand behind the poll pointing the laser gun.

Going south on 400, just south of the Finch entrance ramp, about 500 ft down on the right you look closely there is a fence with what seems like a small driveway/entrance for entering the gate and closed fence. It's right in the middle of weeds. Usually a tow truck and cop there hiding behind the weeds there always pulling over if you're doing above 120!

Going South on Royal York from St Claire or Dundas the road will hill down and curve. Here there is a park to the right. Be careful when driving down the hill, cop trap just at the end hiding in the exit of the park on the right, if you see him it's too late.

Driving South and North on South Kingsway between Bloor and the Queensway/Gardiner cops usually hiding in random roads on the stretch trapping both direction.

If I remember more I will post 'em. Post yours pls!

Btw, be exra careful always durin the last days of the end of the month. Cops have a minumim tickets they have to give out each month and if they feel they're behind towards the end they start giving out tickets even for BS and minor reasons. Expect no mercy or leniency here. The city wants your money and hey WILL have it. Pay attention and you'll notice more frequent cars pulled over and quite a few traps.

OH boy, just about any where. If you're aware, it's almost impossible to get caught. They have to see you, to point the radar at you. If they can see you, you should be able to see them.
Keep a sharp eye if you're going to speed.

On danforth just before warden cops like to park behind the bridge to catch westbound traffic, limit drops to 50 from 60 just before the bridge.

OH boy, just about any where. If you're aware, it's almost impossible to get caught. They have to see you, to point the radar at you. If they can see you, you should be able to see them.
Keep a sharp eye if you're going to speed.

Good luck seeing this radar holding guy. You can barely make out his high viz vest on the passenger side door.

2iv1auw.jpg

Anybody who would go wizzing by this at speed, deserves a ticket.

Good luck seeing this radar holding guy. You can barely make out his high viz vest on the passenger side door.

2iv1auw.jpg

If the thread doesn't already exist (with success) ........

Over every hill and around every blind bend. If you can't see around it, assume they are there.

Every raised highway on-ramp by a bridge, every school yard, and at the end of every long straight stretch. Just when you think there is no reason, there are the planes and helicopters and red light cameras. It's a racket. Who cares where they are? They get everyone for something.

2iv1auw.jpg
But it's okay for the cops to set up a speed trap and park in a no stopping zone!

4th Line between 22 Side Rd. and 17 Side Rd. South of Limehouse.

you never heard of Trapster? look it up. realtime live radar updates for any mobile...

BB

Is it really true traffic police have ticket quotas?

AFAIK they have "quotas", but it doesn't matter if they are tickets or warnings. But if ur a traffic cop and ur not writing any tickets (revenue) then u get a "talking to".

This info is from a potato that I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downhills
School zones
areas where the speed limit drops

I just go with the flow of traffic. If I don't have any cars around me. I usually stick to 10-15% above the speed limit.

Is it really true traffic police have ticket quotas?

not *officially*, but there is some expectation that while doing their rounds they should be ticketing traffic infringements. Hence if towards the month's end, some guys will need to make up some numbers..

you never heard of Trapster? look it up. realtime live radar updates for any mobile...

BB

Yes, and you used to be a legend to download the data for Garmin GPS systems. They took away this functionality

1) On 9th line heading south from Burnhamthorpe toward Dundas (Hwy 7) in Oakville. Large shrubs cover a driveway of a private school where undercover cars "park" and radar out the window. I had the car in front of me pulled over for 15 over the limit. They are there almost every day.

The second location is further up the road at the drive in.

2) 403 West there is a common area just past Erin Mills Parkway toward City Center/Mavis rd. Within that stretch, multiple places that OPP hide to either hangout or radar.

This thread is doomed to fail.. no one is going to read pages and pages of text to see speed traps. A map is much more useful so using something like trapster.com is good to take a quick look and see traps and enforcement areas in YOUR neighborhood or riding route. You can even add traps. More than likely the traps people listed here are shown there.

Back
Top Bottom