Chain snapped off | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain snapped off

SONIC

I recently bought a custom bike, practically brand new, only had 1,500 kms on it. I was on the highway last week and the chain just falls or breaks off somehow. i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, chain wasnt too loose or too tight, had the right amount of slack the last time i checked, wasnt making any odd noises, no indication that there was a problem.

I've never had this happen or have even heard of a chain just going like that. I've ordered a new chain, have a chain tool and am putting the new one on myself as i've done this many times.

So my question is does anyone know how this can happen? Could there be something wrong or out of line that would make the chain come loose or break off? I want to make sure that there isnt something else thats the problem before i go and put on a new chain only for it to happen ahgain.

thanks.

Clip-style master link with the clip either missing, facing backwards, or broken.

Riveted style master link that someone forgot to rivet.

Either style master link that someone forgot to lubricate with that little container of grease that every good master link ships with.

Cheap chain unsuitable for the power/torque of the bike.

There are lots of ways to get this wrong.

Ask Mr. Agostini. He is an expert on such matters.

Can we see the custom bike? Maybe it's got a magic chain destroying swingarm or something

There are a few reasons why this could happen. We need to k now / see the bike in question and the broken chain to see where it broke.

Bad geometry on custom bike could tighten the chain as the suspension moves, but master link problem seems more likely. Post pics.

When you say custom bike and no brand, I hope you don't say its a 250 a couple responses later lol.

Anyways, Hopefully the same guy that put the chain on didn't do all the custom work, it would suck to have a wheel or handlebars fall off at that speed lol.

In all honesty, I am with the 99% and saying you had a problem with an incorrectly installed master link.

Clip-style master link with the clip either missing, facing backwards, or broken.

Riveted style master link that someone forgot to rivet.

Either style master link that someone forgot to lubricate with that little container of grease that every good master link ships with.

Cheap chain unsuitable for the power/torque of the bike.

There are lots of ways to get this wrong.

Hmmm ok, i'll keep those points in check when i put the new one on, but when i put a chain on i'm pretty thorough so it won't have an issue.

did it fall apart/break at the connecting link, or somewhere else ?

Thats the problem, i have no idea as i lost the chain, f-ing thing went flying off, I'm just lucky it didn't slash my leg or lock up the rear wheel or something.

Bad geometry on custom bike could tighten the chain as the suspension moves, but master link problem seems more likely. Post pics.

It's a hard tail so no rear suspension. I'm thinking it was the master link too, probably wasn't installed correctly, i just dont see like a factory sealed link coming apart, unless it was a sh*t chain.

When you say custom bike and no brand, I hope you don't say its a 250 a couple responses later lol.

Anyways, Hopefully the same guy that put the chain on didn't do all the custom work, it would suck to have a wheel or handlebars fall off at that speed lol.

In all honesty, I am with the 99% and saying you had a problem with an incorrectly installed master link.

Ya master link for sure. Thanks for the input guys! New chain came in and putting it on tonight.

Ohhh ... no rear suspension.

Does the rear wheel include a cush-drive, and is it an effective design?

No cush-drive, or having a cush drive but which is far too stiff to offer any meaningful shock absorption, will smash up drivetrain components. Be glad your chain broke and not your transmission internals (happened to me).

A lot of aftermarket wheels use a set of round donuts to transfer load from the sprocket carrier to the wheel, and they are made of a urethane which is far too hard. I have an improvised temporary solution using an assembly of rubber O-rings for now, but will be making new cush-drive donuts out of a much softer urethane as next winter's project.

Ohhh ... no rear suspension.

Does the rear wheel include a cush-drive, and is it an effective design?

No cush-drive, or having a cush drive but which is far too stiff to offer any meaningful shock absorption, will smash up drivetrain components. Be glad your chain broke and not your transmission internals (happened to me).

A lot of aftermarket wheels use a set of round donuts to transfer load from the sprocket carrier to the wheel, and they are made of a urethane which is far too hard. I have an improvised temporary solution using an assembly of rubber O-rings for now, but will be making new cush-drive donuts out of a much softer urethane as next winter's project.

I have no idea, how can I tell?

Back
Top Bottom