"Curbing motorcycle speed 'a touchy game' in Mulmur" | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Curbing motorcycle speed 'a touchy game' in Mulmur"

You cannot defend the action, but you need to understand why people are upset, and how ignoring this is to our peril. We ride bikes because they are fast and fun,. but many go over the limits and should get to a track and go nuts, have at it.

I understand why the local residents are upset. They have the right to be upset.
I guess being upset is now a valid reason to do harm. I'm sorry but the individual intending to do harm is a bigger A-hole than the riders.

While I don't work in Dufferin, if I caught wind of someone intentionally putting gravel on the road for the purpose of slowing motorcycles, or causing them to crash, I would be laying a charge of Mischief and quite possibly Mischief endangering life. That is absolute nonsense.

There is enough gravel on those roads as it is. Car/Trucks run wide onto the soft shoulder and spread the gravel about anyways.

While I don't work in Dufferin, if I caught wind of someone intentionally putting gravel on the road for the purpose of slowing motorcycles, or causing them to crash, I would be laying a charge of Mischief and quite possibly Mischief endangering life. That is absolute nonsense.

It's happened on forks of the credit many times with no consequences to the same jackass that does it that I know of. Then again the Caledon branch of the Opp aren't exactly the most stellar detachment in the world.

Am I the only one who read that and thought 'maybe they should do something about the gravel?'

I've ridden River Rd. a couple of times. Great road but there's plenty of gravel in corners and suspiciously, on the roadway in front of some driveways. I have heard that some residents (can't confirm) like to sweep the gravel onto the road to curb motorcyclists.

“These maniacs are running people off the road, passing on hills and curves that are clearly marked with a solid yellow line.”

Good story
:rolleyes:

You got loud pipes on your work bike? You need to come ride a road in Uxbridge with me, the resident run at you with pitch forks or try and run you over with their BMW suv's!! Wouldn't doubt it if they've resorted to putting gravel or oil on the road :(

You got loud pipes on your work bike? You need to come ride a road in Uxbridge with me, the resident run at you with pitch forks or try and run you over with their BMW suv's!! Wouldn't doubt it if they've resorted to putting gravel or oil on the road :(

But I thought loud pipes save lives :p

from thid the pattern that develops is ..

...residents are angry about LOUD, fast bikes...i think the emphasis is on the word loud. they do not want to be woken up at 6:00 am in the morning on a sunny saturday

...wonder what will happen if we run SS through there with stock pipes?!

The reality is that some people's lives are negatively affected by loud bikes racing by their homes affecting their safety and and peace. Those comments indicate a sense of frustration at self-entitled a-holes who think they can go as fast as they want, as loud as they want.
While this, "screw the world" attitude is super cool right now, as rider numbers continue to dwindle, we should not be surprised if the world returns the favor.

Just out of curiosity, why is it you think that rider numbers are dwindling?

A look at Stats Can indicates that rider numbers are increasing year after year every year since 1999 (as far back as the online data seems to go).

Moreover, attendance at places like Dover, New Liskeard Biker's Rally, etc, all increase year after year.

I think that ridership is increasing. Sure the number of shops are decreasing -- mainly because more and more people are buying online, and I suspect bikes are becoming more reliable and easier to maintain so the bike shops are reducing in number as well.

I can't get the Stats Can data to format well for this forum, but basically that data shows:
Canada cars (1999):
16,538,054; motorcycles (1999):
Ontario cars (1999):
6,174,461; Motorcycles (1999):

Canada cars (2013):
; motorcycles (
):
Ontario cars (2013):
; Motorcycles (
):

That's a 28.5% increase in # of cars in Canada, and a 145% increase in motorcycle registrations in Canada in the same time span.

That's a 23.5% increase in # of cars registered in Ontario, and a 183% increase in motorcycle registrations in Ontario in the same time span.

If anything, I'd say ridership is increasing drastically even compared to 14 years ago.

On a regular basis, I ride Hockley Valley, Mono Centre south of 89 and 10th side road and River Road north of 89... Hockley is the only one without gravel.
The others get lots of gravel in the cornersbecause cagers can't drive and cut the corners without a paved shoulder.
I haven't seen any evidence that the gravel was put there maliciously.

Definitely don't ride these roads, don't even go close. they are over hyped, dangerous and not worth the trip! Bellfountain is the only destination you want... Better coffee shops eh!

Last edited:
If anything, I'd say ridership is increasing drastically even compared to 14 years ago.

Prior to which it had taken a massive dip from an all time high, due to factors like huge increases in insurance premiums. It was just a bounce back.

Hockley is the only one without gravel.

That's because they paved the shoulders on Hockley Valley Road last summer. However, the paved shoulders are only between Highway 10 and Third Line. For some reason the rest of it does seem to stay fairly clean.

BTW, I work at Hockley Golf Course and had more than one person ask me yesterday if there was a racetrack nearby. I replied no, it's just motorcycle riders on SS bikes with loud pipes who come up from the GTA to ride on Hockley Valley Road. Honestly, from the sound of some of the bikes it did sound like a racetrack. With all that noise and speeding bikes yesterday I fully expect to see an OPP blitz with radar over the next week or so as they respond to complaints from the locals who live along the road.

Paved shoulders are good but I wouldn't expect them on the roads I mentioned any time soon...
At any rate, you will find the same thing with any affluent area, it doesn't take long for them to call the cops.

BTW, I work at Hockley Golf Course and had more than one person ask me yesterday if there was a racetrack nearby. I replied no, it's just motorcycle riders on SS bikes with loud pipes who come up from the GTA to ride on Hockley Valley Road. Honestly, from the sound of some of the bikes it did sound like a racetrack. With all that noise and speeding bikes yesterday I fully expect to see an OPP blitz with radar over the next week or so as they respond to complaints from the locals who live along the road.

I think the locals have other methods of slowing the bikes...

n4kD0jy.gif

Back
Top Bottom