"Curbing motorcycle speed 'a touchy game' in Mulmur" | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Curbing motorcycle speed 'a touchy game' in Mulmur"

From what Mills has been told, River Road, Airport Road and County Road 17 seem to be the stretches of road in Mulmur that motorcyclists gravitate to most. He said a number of crashes have occurred when motorcyclists have hit a patch of gravel on the road and lost control.

“These guys are laying almost sideways on their bikes on these bends,” he said. “They catch that gravel and they are sliding.”

I am so going to Mulmur.

I am so going to Mulmur.

Havent been that way in a couple years.. it means riding the 401 and through the Brampton/Hiway 410/10 areas.. [shudder] :mad:

I live up here and had to look up County Road 17 to find out which road they were talking about. I know it as 10 Side Road, just north of Highway 89 and it's one of my favourite roads, but only as far west as the Second Line East, which is now paved and runs north to River Road / Side Road 20 in Terra Nova. Trust me, you don't want to miss that one. Airport Road is boring, too busy and heavily patrolled by OPP. The east-west roads are far more entertaining. By the way, if you have made it up to CR 17 you must go just a little farther north and take a run along County Road 9 between Creemore and Maple Valley at 124.

From what Mills has been told, River Road, Airport Road and County Road 17 seem to be the stretches of road in Mulmur that motorcyclists gravitate to most. He said a number of crashes have occurred when motorcyclists have hit a patch of gravel on the road and lost control.

“These guys are laying almost sideways on their bikes on these bends,” he said. “They catch that gravel and they are sliding.”

I am so going to Mulmur.

Am I the only one who read that and thought 'maybe they should do something about the gravel?'

Here's a quote, he's got it completely wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of them speed. As soon as they get a straight away, they just blast away,” Byford recently told county council. “I’m encouraging our township to become very dramatic and proactive.”

The gravel sometimes looks like it was swept out there by a pissy local. As someone who has been out there a fair bit, don't go, it's over rated and not worth the trip. The gravel is too dangerous, I strongly recommend that other motorcyclists stay away. Police everywhere, wild dogs, deer, sudden inexplicable rain, murderous locals. Unless you plan to open up a passable cafe, avoid.

Havent been that way in a couple years.. it means riding the 401 and through the Brampton/Hiway 410/10 areas.. [shudder] :mad:

Never had a problem on the 401. Hwy 7, on the other hand, is scary through Brampton.

Dixon Road by the airport is scary, too, but I used to do it daily before I decided on a better route.

Never had a problem on the 401. Hwy 7, on the other hand, is scary through Brampton.

Dixon Road by the airport is scary, too, but I used to do it daily before I decided on a better route.

generally 401 is ok, the section from 427 to 410 becomes a racetrack with cars flying in all directions and lane bandits sitting in the left lanes.

The comment after the story calling for more gravel on the road as a solution is just awesome.

The reality is that some people's lives are negatively affected by loud bikes racing by their homes affecting their safety and and peace. Those comments indicate a sense of frustration at self-entitled a-holes who think they can go as fast as they want, as loud as they want.
While this, "screw the world" attitude is super cool right now, as rider numbers continue to dwindle, we should not be surprised if the world returns the favor.

The reality is that some people's lives are negatively affected by loud bikes racing by their homes affecting their safety and and peace. Those comments indicate a sense of frustration at self-entitled a-holes who think they can go as fast as they want, as loud as they want.
While this, "screw the world" attitude is super cool right now, as rider numbers continue to dwindle, we should not be surprised if the world returns the favor.

My comment was a sarcastic.
I understand the issues that the residents face. Noise can be annoying and fast moving vehicles can be a safety issue.
But taking it to the next level by encouraging people to intentioanlly put something on the road to cause injury is just ignorant.
I've seen a fair share of cars and pick-ups on those roads mentioned, driven in the same reckless manor.
Last time I was up there there was a GTR all over both sides of the road.
Motorcycles still seem to be a easy target for people to moan about.

I see it like smoking... At one time smokers did not care where they smoked or when they smoked--total disrespect for non-smokers. Once the anti-smoking legislation (restrictions on where or when) started to roll it picked up massive steam due to the built up hate all the non-smokers had over the years. As the smokers number decreased, well the anti-movement got more aggressive. Now the smokers are being given no-quarter. Forget restaurants and bars...can't smoke near a door, can't smoke in a park, can't smoke in an outdoor public place, etc...

For the bikes we have to be careful the same thing does not happen by our disrespect of the people around us. First some noise regs. Then bans on certain roads, then an outright ban (technically motorcycles are banned from within the walls of Quebec City)...

Like smoking--we do not need to ride motorcycles (it is for enjoyment).
Like smoking--riding is more dangerous than not riding--banning "saves" lives--so they will think.
Like smoking--we are pissing many people off, smokers with smell and smoke us with loud pipes.
Like smoking--we are not the only problem, there is air pollution without smoking, there is noise without motorcycles.
Like smoking--we will be the lightning rod for the haters.

As for putting gravel on the road, we see it as the guy trying to kill us. He sees it as deterring us from even riding there... Not saying he is right, just trying to give some perspective. In the end they may just decide speed bumps are the right answer...

We are a small group that enjoys our hobby at the pleasure of the masses. The masses may decide otherwise and we are too small to turn the tide...

There is a distinct difference between having the intent to harm someone and someone intending to have fun riding.
The rider doesn't intend to harm anybody even though it may end that way, but that's not his original purpose.
The ingnotant individual that is basically trying to lay a trap only intends to do harm. I cannot defend these people no matter how much of a nuisance the riders are.

There is a distinct difference between having the intent to harm someone and someone intending to have fun riding.
The rider doesn't intend to harm anybody even though it may end that way, but that's not his original purpose.
The ingnotant individual that is basically trying to lay a trap only intends to do harm. I cannot defend these people no matter how much of a nuisance the riders are.
Not only that but the gravel is just as likely to take out a rider who is respectfully riding at the posted limit, with quiet pipes, as the ones loudly speeding.

We are a small group that enjoys our hobby at the pleasure of the masses. The masses may decide otherwise and we are too small to turn the tide...

All you need is one politician who wants a few extra votes to propose banning motorcycles, and 99% of voters won't give a f-ck.

You cannot defend the action, but you need to understand why people are upset, and how ignoring this is to our peril. We ride bikes because they are fast and fun,. but many go over the limits and should get to a track and go nuts, have at it.

Here's a quote, he's got it completely wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of them speed. As soon as they get a straight away, they just blast away,” Byford recently told county council. “I’m encouraging our township to become very dramatic and proactive.”

Only solution is to rip up all straight sections and replace them with serpentine or chicane sections

Back
Top Bottom