New R1..230hp...Dual clutch..yowza | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New R1..230hp...Dual clutch..yowza

I always want these rumours to be true because they sound cool, but... Still waiting for Honda's V5 SS.

Looking at Brian's argument, though... I dunno. The BMW HP4 is close - making 83 ft lbs, peak hp of 193 comes at 13K. Yamaha has in the past been known for putting out very peaky engines. Maybe it's not 230, but could be somewhere in between. Electronic suspension, sure, Ducati and BMW are already there. DCT? Highly doubt it. Computer controlled single clutch (F1 style), maybe, but still unlikely.

I always want these rumours to be true because they sound cool, but... Still waiting for Honda's V5 SS.

Looking at Brian's argument, though... I dunno. The BMW HP4 is close - making 83 ft lbs, peak hp of 193 comes at 13K. Yamaha has in the past been known for putting out very peaky engines. Maybe it's not 230, but could be somewhere in between. Electronic suspension, sure, Ducati and BMW are already there. DCT? Highly doubt it. Computer controlled single clutch (F1 style), maybe, but still unlikely.

Yamaha makes over ~250 in a MotoGP bike. F1 only uses single clutch because DCT was banned.

Good article:

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/seamless_gearbox.html

Of course, no one said the new R1 was going to be 1000cc.

The HP stuff is bullsh-t, litre bikes made too much power 10 years ago, and would be unridable without electronics today. I have significant concern about these electronics after a few years...sure, they are great for racing, but a fail at speed is not like a car.

Anywhoooo...DCTs are coming to both Honda and Yamaha:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/yamaha-r1-dual-clutch-transmission/

MotoGP bikes don't have to conform to emission standards, don't have to meet noise restrictions, don't have to run on on-road pump gasoline, don't have to be capable of puttering along stuck in a traffic jam with docile drivability, and most importantly, don't have to survive the warranty period.

90 lb.ft at 15,000 rpm would give 257 hp.

Anything they produce that will have lights and a license plate, will have to satisfy all of the various legal requirements and survive the warranty period. Down goes the specific torque (engineers call it "BMEP" = "brake mean effective pressure"), down goes the maximum revs ...

...and road bike manufacturers don't have to follow tech restrictions of racing.
Regardless, of the three rumors of this bike, what does everyone focus on? the least important HP number, while the reality is that a seamless transmission and semi-active suspension will actually make you go faster.

Highly skeptical. If they actually do it, wonder what the price will be, what with all the exotic materials engineering. Maybe they'll just offer it sans warranty. Or maybe it will be 1300cc, run on adrenaline and emit rainbows.

... of the three rumors of this bike, what does everyone focus on? the least important HP number, while the reality is that a seamless transmission and semi-active suspension will actually make you go faster.

Yes, that is the most important, squeeze every last bit of speed and acceleration from bikes especially road bikes because the "sport" isn't quite retarded enough. I hope some of these speed secrets filter down to the e-bikes because not enough people are getting clipped on the waterfront trails etc.

...and road bike manufacturers don't have to follow tech restrictions of racing.

MotoGP's rules concerning the engine aren't particularly restrictive - nowhere near as restrictive as the on-road noise and emissions requirements.

The last few posts imply the other issue ... sport bikes in general and the 1-litre class in particular have been selling in small and decreasing numbers, that's why all of the bikes in that class have gone a long time without major changes, and it's unlikely that a huge horsepower number on a redesigned model will change that trend. They are increasingly becoming irrelevant. I would much rather see a modern, 3 cylinder, fuel injected, ABS-equipped FZR400 than a redesigned litre bike.

R1 and 230hp is like an R6 with a 17.5k RPM redline.
lol :) Still love those people that I flash "Hey, how come my bike doesn't rev as high anymore, used to go to 18k on the tach!"... they never understand that it was only ever REALLY getting to 16k... and I can only calibrate the RPM gauge to true, can't put it back to lying! Down with the "hi rev" edition R6!

Pics of new R1 or R6? or
pics of Gf on new R1 or R6?

or GTFO!

I would much rather see a modern, 3 cylinder, fuel injected, ABS-equipped FZR400 than a redesigned litre bike.

It's guys like you who are going to make these SS bikes go extinct! :mad:

Imagine how much more fun you life would have been if you had a pet Velociraptor?

Yamaha makes over ~250 in a MotoGP bike. F1 only uses single clutch because DCT was banned.

Good article:

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/seamless_gearbox.html

Of course, no one said the new R1 was going to be 1000cc.

The HP stuff is bullsh-t, litre bikes made too much power 10 years ago, and would be unridable without electronics today. I have significant concern about these electronics after a few years...sure, they are great for racing, but a fail at speed is not like a car.

Anywhoooo...DCTs are coming to both Honda and Yamaha:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/yamaha-r1-dual-clutch-transmission/

Yamaha has been severely lacking in the HP wars since the cross plane motor was introduced. It will stay 1000cc or they're out of road racing. Nobody races them in club races because it costs you $10,000 to get the motor on par with an out of the box BMW or ZX10. They appeal to road riders because of the sound but everyone still wants some bragging rights of having the high HP numbers.

Most of the very fast riders turn off the electronic aids. These bikes are more than rideable without them, you just have to know what your doing.

The "active suspension" that comes on some bikes are removed for racing. Ohlins has a shock that has this technology for the ZX10, it's not reccomended for real track duty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom