New R1..230hp...Dual clutch..yowza | GTAMotorcycle.com

New R1..230hp...Dual clutch..yowza

Yikes. That's a lot of bike.

Depending on gearing, you could get away with never leaving first gear on Ontario roads. lol

I've been through lots and lots of new-model hype over the years.

Every time there's a big dose of hype, reality sets in with an incremental couple of horsepower gain or a couple kg weight loss (and then they neglect to mention when it gains more weight than that).

A naturally-aspirated spark-ignition four-stroke piston engine running on pump gasoline will make somewhere near 75 lb.ft of torque per litre of displacement give or take about 15. A low tech two valve per cylinder engine will be in the lower end. Very exceptional tuning is required to reach 90 and almost always that is over only a narrow RPM range. Let's say they make 80 lb.ft because that's not far from where every other sportbike engine is, and there is no magic happening here.
HP = TQ x RPM / 5252 in old english units ... RPM would have to be 15,100 in order to make 230 horsepower and that's using the peak-torque number; assuming peak power is at higher revs than peak torque (it always is) it's going to have to be higher than that for a plausibly-shaped torque curve. While that rev level is possible (F1 cars and 600cc production bikes are in that range, but even that is beyond the revs at which the 600s make peak power) I highly doubt it's going to happen, and if they do it, it will likely be the most uselessly-shaped torque curve in history.

"Not Gonna Happen"

Horsepower claims are LOL.. same thing every new reveal.

It'll barely dyno 180 and it will gain 30lbs. You heard it here first, folks.

I highly doubt it's going to happen, and if they do it, it will likely be the most uselessly-shaped torque curve in history.

"Not Gonna Happen"

wrecked.

I've been through lots and lots of new-model hype over the years.

Every time there's a big dose of hype, reality sets in with an incremental couple of horsepower gain or a couple kg weight loss (and then they neglect to mention when it gains more weight than that).

A naturally-aspirated spark-ignition four-stroke piston engine running on pump gasoline will make somewhere near 75 lb.ft of torque per litre of displacement give or take about 15. A low tech two valve per cylinder engine will be in the lower end. Very exceptional tuning is required to reach 90 and almost always that is over only a narrow RPM range. Let's say they make 80 lb.ft because that's not far from where every other sportbike engine is, and there is no magic happening here.
HP = TQ x RPM / 5252 in old english units ... RPM would have to be 15,100 in order to make 230 horsepower and that's using the peak-torque number; assuming peak power is at higher revs than peak torque (it always is) it's going to have to be higher than that for a plausibly-shaped torque curve. While that rev level is possible (F1 cars and 600cc production bikes are in that range, but even that is beyond the revs at which the 600s make peak power) I highly doubt it's going to happen, and if they do it, it will likely be the most uselessly-shaped torque curve in history.

"Not Gonna Happen"

or, forced induction. BMW got >1000hp from a 1400cc stock block in 80s F1. They even didn't know how much power it had because their dynos didn't go above 1000hp. Some estimated 1400hp.

To me, the big story is not some stratospheric HP figure, but the dual clutch, which is likely a road version of the seamless shifting transmission used in Motogp last year. TC, ABS and E-suspension are really just off the shelf items these days. TC means throttle by wire.

I'm curious as to how many R1s they actually sell any more.

If Yamaha can lie about rpms they can lie about hp.........

Last edited:
Yamaka is so full of chit the stock BMW will make more at the wheel guaranteed. And of course that HP claim is for the "race" version,lol

Germans underate and the japs OVER rate always...

BB

Last edited:
The same rumours were flying about the ZX-10R before it was revealed. We'll see.

All hype!

Sent from my tablet using my paws

It WONT happen!!!! We hear this type of hype every time they plan a new release. I have the new S1000 and NO WAY does the 1199 have 200hp at the wheel because 2 of my buds have them and my bike makes more power and is GONE at every single RPM we try at. This is all just "dreams" we are reading again.

Back
Top Bottom