Insect Identification | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insect Identification

SLaP

Site Supporter
Anyone know what kind of insect this is? Saw it in my mom's backyard in Barrie. Looks awesome!

deTE067.jpg

Mosquito mated with a tarantula???

Some kind of robber fly, I think

Ah yes. I think you are right! Thanks!

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/a.../OSL/2012/January/120127OSL.html#.U80jSbFeU2A

Robber flies are members of the fly family Asilidae. This is a large group of flies with some 7,000 species identified worldwide. All are predators on other insects. In general, robber flies look mean. The top of their head is sunken, which makes their large eyes - with four thousand lenses - even more prominent. They also have a long beak that protrudes from a mass of bristling hairs and creates a look similar to that of a bearded man.

Robber%20fly.jpg

well I am late to the party but a Robber it is.....LOL

It appears to be Asilidae Robber Fly (although I couldn’t gage the actual size)

Common Name:
Robber fly
Scientific Name:
Megaphorus willistoni

Unique Qualities:
Robber flies are common, swiftly flying predators, 5-30 mm long. They have stout, spiny legs, a dense "beard" of bristles on the face, and a depression in the forehead between the compound eyes.
Can be Seen:
Robber flies are distributed all over North America. They can be found mostly in British Columbia.
Likes to Hang Out:
Robber flies can be found in arid and sunny habitats. They also seem to prefer areas with lots of flowers, because that is where their favourite prey, small bees and wasps can be found.
Likes to Eat:
Robber flies have huge appetites and feed on a vast array of invertebrates, which may help to maintain a healthy balance between insect populations in various habitats. The adults attack wasps, bees, dragonflies, mosquitoes, grasshoppers, other flies, and some spiders.
Although common elsewhere, the population of robber flies in British Columbia is classified as "critically imperilled"

Hey - if they eat those Japanese beetles, like in the photo, then bring some back from Barrie next time - those beetles are decimating our cherry tree and their larvae are the grubs that eat the roots of your lawn!

Back
Top Bottom