1,500 lbs Motorcycle Lift/Dolly/Stand | GTAMotorcycle.com

1,500 lbs Motorcycle Lift/Dolly/Stand

architect

Site Supporter
This is a general question for all sportbikes. Does anyone have experience with this jack/lifts? There are many brands out there that have slight variation of basically the same thing. Canadian Tire caries the MotoMaster branding.

EDIT: The point of this, instead of front and rear stands, is that it acts as dolly.

image_22156.jpg

The exhaust is where most sportbikes will be lifted from. Would this be bad? I know initial reaction is to avoid. Thanks everyone.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html

Last edited:
They work on cruisers that have a flat frame for lifting so they are stable as a table.

Most sport bikes do not have a suitable lifting spot so all the weight of the bike gets lifted on the exhaust and plastic fairings then wants to tip over on top of you.

A friend of mine had one, and watched his '05 GSXR topple off of it during routine maintenance.

Google "pit bull stand" and look for a rear swing arm stand (you would want swing arm spools or bobbins in your bike) and for the front you have a couple of options, one lifts via the triple tree stem via a pin that inserts into the steering head, when lifted up you can drop the forks off of the bike and service them.

The other more common front stand either hooks into the front forks via two small studs and levers up the front, or a rubber covered cradle that slips under the forks to lever them up.

You can buy a cheap set for as little as 80 dollars, but some people have had issues with poor quality stands.

http://www.pit-bull.com

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0279360P/no-sport-bike-stand-reviews/reviews.htm

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-toronto-area/motorcycle-stand/k0l1700272

A rear stand only will let you do chain maintenance etc, but you need BOTH a rear and a front to do any front end work.

2007_0316Bikerack0001.JPG

You gotta stretch it out...

I already have a front and rear stand. The reason I like this stand is because it acts a dolly after the bike is up. All the other stand is still stationary.

So the verdict is that it doesn`t work?

So it is NOT recommended to have the exhaust on while using this, right? I was planning on it for winter storage. I guess I can take off the lower fairings and exhaust on the bike every year. I have a single garage so moving the bike around to reach things is the plan.

Is that the MotoMaster one?

I have one- It works pretty good, but I had to make up a wooden jig for the bottom of my sportbike's motor that put the load onto the oil pan rather than the exhaust system.

So it is NOT recommended to have the exhaust on while using this, right? I was planning on it for winter storage. I guess I can take off the lower fairings and exhaust on the bike every year. I have a single garage so moving the bike around to reach things is the plan.

Is that the MotoMaster one?

yes, that is the MotoMaster one, would you like to try before you buy ?

I don't know about having a bike sitting on the exhaust all winter long, might crush the pipes ? best is to remove the pipes, or make a jig so the frame of the bike is the contact point instead.

Yes would like to come take a look sometime. I was suppose to ride my FZR400 to you but it's now in pieces for restoration. So I will come by with the GSXR.

The FZR400 bellypan is not flat either (exhaust off), but I guess I can slip some 2x4 under the frame and have the jack sit on it that way.

IMG_20140526_163334_zpsb30cd7eb.jpg

yes, that is the MotoMaster one, would you like to try before you buy ?

I don't know about having a bike sitting on the exhaust all winter long, might crush the pipes ? best is to remove the pipes, or make a jig so the frame of the bike is the contact point instead.

I have one- It works pretty good, but I had to make up a wooden jig for the bottom of my sportbike's motor that put the load onto the oil pan rather than the exhaust system.

Do you have a picture of your wood jig? Thanks.

Yes would like to come take a look sometime. I was suppose to ride my FZR400 to you but it's now in pieces for restoration. So I will come by with the GSXR.

The FZR400 bellypan is not flat either (exhaust off), but I guess I can slip some 2x4 under the frame and have the jack sit on it that way.

IMG_20140526_163334_zpsb30cd7eb.jpg

come by with a car, pick up the lift, and try it out, if it works for you, buy one, and return mine...LOL

I don't have anything on the lift at the moment, so there is nothing to see right now

Cheers

my FZ didn't lay flat either even with the pipes removed, had to add some wood pieces and it was then flat and stable.

Back
Top Bottom