BMW and Honda Restoration | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW and Honda Restoration

There is an old school BMW mechanic who only works on airheads. His shop and living quarters are located in an old school building. He's a treasure of the area BMW airhead community and he's indicated that he's considering retiring his one man business. Al Blanchard (not certain of spelling) north of Port Hope, near Elizabethville.

Awesome guy. Found him while out exploring one day and drooled over his projects for a while before moving on.

Wow it's been a while since I posted this, but finally some good news.....

The original ownership was finally found for both bike, only down side, is both are still registered to the USA.....bikes were brought into Canada but not declared (just an oversight, not intentional) stored in a garage and have not seen the light of day until I took them.

No good to me so......

Off I go to MTO to get the ball rolling, wrong place, as I am asked for a Form1, well I don't have that since it was not declared, so I am told go to Canada Customs and get that sorted first.

So off to Canada Customs, with the ownership signed by seller and me the buyer, a bill of sale, a hope and a prayer

Walk in to the Customs office, give him my paper work and story, and in 15 minutes I have a Form1 in my hands, and a few dollars less in my wallet, had to pay duties and tax.....

now....

Off to the MTO, bit of a line up, but at the counter in about 20 minutes, hand over my paper work, and once again in about 15 minutes and a few more dollars removed from my wallet (bloody tax's) I have in my hands, new ownership slips in my name for each bike, unplated for the moment until I get them ready for the road......but they are mine.......

Talk about easy......and hassle free.....

Now I have a project for the summer......

Last edited:
The Honda 350, about that year too, was the bike I wanted to buy new at 15. My father wouldn't let me, even though I had worked for the money, because the biggest bike he had back in the old country was a 250 BMW single, with a side car for stability in the winter. Ended up with the Honda 175 twin. Rode it in the fields for the first season, and got my drivers license with it the following summer.

You can make your money back and more by flipping the Honda. The ownership alone is worth several hundred bucks. Reasonably priced ones don't last long on Kijiji while bodgy, overpriced "customs" languish for weeks.

Do you have the cases that go with those racks on the BMW? I'm not interested personally, but accessories like that for older bikes can be nearly impossible to find

When I was 16 my friend had a green honda exactly like that. It was so nice. Found out a while ago he's kept it and fully restored it. I'd love to have one myself eventually. They're getting tough to find unmolested.

You can make your money back and more by flipping the Honda. The ownership alone is worth several hundred bucks. Reasonably priced ones don't last long on Kijiji while bodgy, overpriced "customs" languish for weeks.

Keeping her stock, I am not into cutting and chopping up a bike, plus I don't have the tools at hand to do that kind of work...

Do you have the cases that go with those racks on the BMW? I'm not interested personally, but accessories like that for older bikes can be nearly impossible to find

I don't have the cases unfortunately, and I don't think the PO has then either, but I will have to double check with him, who knows he might have them stashed somewhere in his basement or garage, it would be nice.....

I have been looking for them on Ebay, so far no luck, but I will keep at it, might be in Europe this year, so I will look through some of the local ads which might yield something.. I should say, found some, but the price is a bit out of my range for now, maybe once the restore is completed I will see what is left over in the budget, but at 400 to 500 for a set, lets just say there are other things I can spend that cash on...

When I was 16 my friend had a green honda exactly like that. It was so nice. Found out a while ago he's kept it and fully restored it. I'd love to have one myself eventually. They're getting tough to find unmolested.

And this one will be unmolested as well, at least while I have her, what the next owner will do, will be up to them....

Last edited:
In the Honda world (maybe other brands as well, I don't know) unmolested bikes of this vintage are referred to as "survivors" of time and the cafe craze.

Hey Gatekeeper.

I was looking for bags for my bike and came across this:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...gs/1055488918?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Emailed the owner, it came off an 85 K bike and in Mississauga.

With the paperwork on the bike, not sure if it relates but you have to export the bike from the states as well. The rules now require a code that you need from a broker. Because of the time that has past and age of the bikes you might get lucky. You might want to look into it. It doesnt affect getting title or anything but if the VIN ever gets run in the states you could have an issue.

Hey Gatekeeper.

I was looking for bags for my bike and came across this:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...gs/1055488918?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Emailed the owner, it came off an 85 K bike and in Mississauga.

With the paperwork on the bike, not sure if it relates but you have to export the bike from the states as well. The rules now require a code that you need from a broker. Because of the time that has past and age of the bikes you might get lucky. You might want to look into it. It doesnt affect getting title or anything but if the VIN ever gets run in the states you could have an issue.

Thanks so much for the lead on the bags, emailed the seller, hopefully I get a chance to see if they will fit my bike, mine is a bit of a shorter wheel base, so I almost need to have the specific ones made for my bike...

As for the paperwork, it's all done I have Ontario ownership for both bikes. I was at the Customs office first, this is where you get the Form1, basically your export paperwork, here you pay duties and tax, and then off you go to MTO, give them the Form1, bill of sale, and the original ownership, pay the admin fees and more tax, everyone wants a piece of the pie, and in short order you have your ownership....

Customs and MTO ran the Vin, so I am sure if there is any issue, I would be in a 8x8 cell by now......LOL

Bikes came into Canada with the original owner, he just never declared them upon entry, so it was done now, instead of 20 or so years ago...

EDIT: I am being told those bags will not work on my bike, they are for a newer model.....ohhhh well

Last edited:
I wouldn't burn money on the bags unless you're keeping the bike for sure or find a great deal on them ($100 is pretty reasonable though). What I was suggesting, that if you DID have them, you might want to put them & the mounting hardware up for sale.

Yup, I hear ya.....a hundred bucks is about the most I would invest in the bags, since I am not keeping the bike, probably wouldn't go much higher even if I was.

I figured if I could find a set for cheap, it would just add to the value and make for possibly a quicker sale...

I would rather spend the hundred on something it really needs...

Well after all of the hunting and scouting for a set of bags........all along they were right under my nose...

I texted the PO and asked if he had the bags by chance, I figured since he had the mounting brackets on the bike, there just might be bags that fit there...

And sure enough I get a reply this morning, that he has them and will drop them off for me, as he no longer has any use for them.....

I am just so happy now....LOL

Wow, good fortune on the bags! Wish I had that luck with my BCR.
The form1 you did at customs is for import. The states requires all vehicles to be exported thru their office. Not doing so doesnt have any effect on importing or the Canadian side of things. But the states warns you could get in trouble if the vin is run in the states (personally I wouldn't bother and just play dumb if anything ever happens in the states).
You're probably already aware of them but beemerboneyard is a good place for parts.

Yes, really good luck on the bags, it never even occurred to me to ask the PO, glad I did....

I can probably dig a bit into the export part, the PO's son is a state trooper, I could see what he says and or thinks, or even have him run the VIN and see what it's all about and if there are any worries, then again on a 30 year old bike, I don't think anyone will give a hoot....

and I did not know about beemerboneyard, will have to check them out....Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom